April 18, 2014, 07:50:47 PM

Author Topic: Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?  (Read 10205 times)

scottsdaleriots

Re: Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
I would say Yes.  Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses.  I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year.  I just got two "L" lenses in the past few weeks due to these great price and I am finding it very hard not to get a few more as the prices are likely lower then they will be for the rest of 2012 (at least until next Xmas).

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer.  So any lenses I plan on needing in the next 6 months, I am trying to convince my wife they would make great Xmas gift! - lol

Good luck...
B&H price combined with the current rebate the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II lens is $1000 cheaper here. That's a bargin! I really wanna get a 50mm, but I enrolled in my photography course today and was gobsmacked at what the fees were like- $10,000 for the first year. Not including materials. And they're forcing us to get a FF camera, I'd get a grey market FF camera since the 5dmkIII wont be released in the first half of next year.

I tested both the 1.2L and 1.4 50mm lenses today (city camera house) and they're selling the L for $2000 I asked if he could go cheaper and he said a "great deal" that he offered was $1980. That's $20 difference, WTF! 1.4 = $585 and sima 1.4 (which wasnt available to test out even) = $525. These rebates are tempting me.

But one of my future teachers said that when went start in feb he'll talk in detail about getting "great deals on cameras, flashes, light metres and lenses". I highly doubt they'll be cheaper or if come close to internet/overseas prices. DO I wait til Feb or do I just buy the lens now?? I dont *need* it at all, I just want it lol

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »
I tested both the 1.2L and 1.4 50mm lenses today (city camera house) and they're selling the L for $2000 I asked if he could go cheaper and he said a "great deal" that he offered was $1980.

But one of my future teachers said that when went start in feb he'll talk in detail about getting "great deals on cameras, flashes, light metres and lenses". I highly doubt they'll be cheaper or if come close to internet/overseas prices. DO I wait til Feb or do I just buy the lens now?? I dont *need* it at all, I just want it lol

Hey Scott, are you referring to the 85mm 1.2 or the 50mm 1.2 and 1.4 above?  B&H currently has the 85 1.2L for $1859.  I am ready to bet this is the best price you can get for a while.  If it is within your budget go for it.  On the other hand, the Canon 85mm 1.4 is also a very good lens if it suits your budget better.

Good luck with your course!

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:48 AM »
The 50mm lens. I didnt try the 85mm although I should've. Now I'm wondering whether I should get the 85mm (maybe even get the L) than get a 50mm. But everyone talks about how all serious photographers should have a 50mm lens in their bag. But I've heard the 50mm is good for the crop camera (like for my 7D) but it's a little too wide for a FF camera which I'm told we'll have to all buy for school. But then again some people say the 50mm for a FF camera is good. I dont want another camera (unless of course it's the 5dmkIII :)) and TBH I don't need another camera.

These rebates only happen once or twice, maybe even three times if Canon are feeling generous, a year. They seem like good deals. But the first and last time I bought gear from B&H it was a really bad experience, my package was delayed for 3 weeks and in that time my 70-200 was scratched and banged up and some paint chipped off (I dont know how to fix that, would canon fix it under warranty for something like that?). So now I try to stay away from B&H - shipping costs a small fortune as well :(

niccyboy

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
i prefer the 50... i got rid of my 85 as i never used it, although colleagues of mine are the opposite.

It comes down to how you use it, how you shoot and personal preference.

They are both fantastic lenses... the 50 however is weather sealed and the 85, due to the way the lens focus set up works, isn't.... that is important to me, as i do a lot of photojournalism... however, the 50 is quite short for pj.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »
I currently dont need either the 50mm or the 85mm. But looking into the future (studying next year) I'll be doing a lot of studio work (from what's been said so far it will include food photography and portraits, both low key and high key). So I'm not sure.

Also I forgot to write this my "battle of the 50's" thread, but would I be able to put a filter on the 50mm 1.4? My knowledge is lacking in this area but I'm not sure because the front part of the lens extends out 1cm or so. Wouldn't that move the filter or something?

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »
Anyone know the general cycle of how many times a year these rebates are available? Is it like 2 or 3 times a year? I just don't want to wait another 12 months to take advantage of the next batch of rebates if I don't buy anything now.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
Anyone know the general cycle of how many times a year these rebates are available? Is it like 2 or 3 times a year? I just don't want to wait another 12 months to take advantage of the next batch of rebates if I don't buy anything now.

My 2 cents...if you NEED IT NOW then BUY IT NOW - while Canon is offering great rebates. I did on the 70-200mm f2.8 IS II ( I got mine for $1974 & FREE SHIPPING).

Why worry too much next 12 months - you can always sell your lenses on CL when ever you already to upgrade - might loose a hundred or so, but still alot cheaper than from renting.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »