September 30, 2014, 08:37:34 AM

Author Topic: OT-photography and (incurring the wrath) of our better halves  (Read 3488 times)

willrobb

Re: OT-photography and (incurring the wrath) of our better halves
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:40 AM »

You could always incorporate your couple shots with your landscape shots... take some without the two of you (to "test" the scene), then shoot another for memories (as neuroanatomist has said), with the two of you in there. You can even get artsy with that bit if you want, and it could net you a better shot!

That said, personally I'd get your other half involved as well, shoot together, get her feedback, even ask her "how would you frame this shot (with us inside)", etc. Make it an event for the two of you... and you'll enjoy it. (Even get her (or him - for the women out there) a camera for themselves too - who knows, it could be useful.

I mostly do have these angles you suggested cover now. When traveling always do a few scene shots to check the ambient light, get some shots of us both.....and then spend a bit more time taking more scenery shot ;-)

My wife uses one of our 5DmkII's, she just takes the grip off. Just picked up an S100 and I can see her using that a lot more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:40 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
OK, not sure where to post this o sorry about putting it here as it's a bit off from the usual topics....

So, somewhere I think we've all been at one time or another (or a few hundred times) with our better halves. Sometimes we get a bit carried away with photography and our other halves get a bit put out right?

I'll start off with one my wife has never let me forget. It was 2008, our first trip to Europe together and we went to Paris. On our first night we went to the Eiffel tower and all the other couples were having their photo taken together with the tower in the background  and being very romantic. I possibly (well, definitely) spent a bit too much time photographing the tower with the tripod, DSLR, cable release etc and sort of grudgingly took some couple shots with a point and shoot....I know, it was bad of me and I've never lived it down.

In my defence though, I sort of made up for it by taking very very few photos on our honeymoon to Bali last year.....the Paris incident often comes up as soon as we are talking to people about travel though, next time I go I am not taking a camera at all.

Wonder if anyone else has stories like this? I'm sure there will be one or two...

Actually, I don't think I really have stories like that. And I'm not really sure what you did wrong. How much time did she get to spend in Paris doing something that you could care less about? Maybe the proverbial shoe shopping (which I personally don't mind even since that can make for, err, interesting pictures back in the hotel room - but that's for another day)? And why is it a good thinkg to have fewer pictures from your honeymoon? I don't get it.

My wife actually encourages me to spend some time on the things I deeply care about, including photography. She knew that she was marrying a bit of geek and gear head. And I encourage her to do more of her thing (writing in her case). That's all fine as long as you keep an eye on your time budget together as a family - and on the monetary budget, especially if one person's passions are significantly more expensive than the other's (guitar and camera gear in my case - bad bad combo of interests).

The latter problem I solve by paying myself a kind of allowance for these things but is also used for other things, like vacation expenses, little things here or there or paying some unexpected bill.

But this was mostly about the time management, so I guess everyone can develop their own strategies there as long as both sides understand the importance of doing something for your own sanity short of signing up for some ashleymadison.com account...which is where things often end up if even taking a few once-in-a-lifetime shots in Paris turns into a big deal. 
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Ryusui

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »
The only wrath I fear from my better half is not letting her get the more expensive lens for her camera first.

But surely you both shoot Canon... so what's yours is hers, no?  And what's hers is hers, yes?
Is there ever any other way?   ;D

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
The only wrath I fear from my better half is not letting her get the more expensive lens for her camera first.

But surely you both shoot Canon... so what's yours is hers, no?  And what's hers is hers, yes?

Yes (I'm in the same boat) but then we end up arguing who gets to use which lens!   :o

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Yes (I'm in the same boat) but then we end up arguing who gets to use which lens!   :o

I haven't eliminated that problem, but I helped minimize it.  Early on she expressed an interest in macro photography, so I bought her the 100 2.8 macro and a book on it to help her interest grow.  So that she's looking for all things small and not looking to use my 70-200 or 16-35 very often.  ;)

Ryusui

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
That's funny...my wife is really interested in macro, too.

I see an MP-E in our future, shortly...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »