August 20, 2014, 05:12:30 PM

Author Topic: Still waiting for 5d mkiii but should I be?  (Read 9582 times)

skye-snaps

Re: Still waiting for 5d mkiii but should I be?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »
I appreciate all the advice - and I do agree with it (objectively, anyway). I actually looked at 7D initially instead of the A77, but thought the 5D2 was priced very well in comparison. If I seem confused, it's because I am :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

katwil

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »
Is the 24-105mm kit lens any use? Seems very good value

I just made the jump from the T3i to the 5D mk II.  While I’m very happy I made the move, I must say that the mk II really shows the weaknesses in my 24-105L, especially with barrel distortion at 24mm.

Back to the OP though, the difference I’ve seen in moving to FF from a Rebel has amazed me.  The two areas where the mk II stands out most for me are the vibrant colors and the performance at high ISO’s.  I’m glad to be getting my feet wet in the FF world now rather than waiting for a camera that’s not even official yet.  By the time the mk III is out, and in my price range, my experiences with FF on the mk II will allow me to make the most of the newer model.

Having said that, I do find that the T3i and the mk II are more complimentary than I would have thought.  I plan to keep the T3i for a couple reasons.  First, for some activities I like to shoot, like sporting events, I’ve become accustomed to the extra reach I get on my 70-200L’s.  Second, the T3i is much more convenient for video.  The T2i is not quite as user-friendly as the T3i with its articulating screen, but there’s still no menu diving required like with the mk II.  And, of course, there’s something to be said about having a back-up camera.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »
I appreciate all the advice - and I do agree with it (objectively, anyway). I actually looked at 7D initially instead of the A77, but thought the 5D2 was priced very well in comparison. If I seem confused, it's because I am :)

Unless you have a specific reason to upgrade to full frame, it's cheaper to stick with APS-C.

If you must upgrade the body, the least expensive option that gives you good build quality would be to get a used XXD (e.g. 50D is a solid pick).

The body you have is old, so the urge to upgrade it is understandable but the gap in image quality between older and newer bodies isn't that great -- which is why Canon are prepared to have such long release cycles for their pro bodies. The difference between good glass and the kit lens on the other hand is substantial. You don't need to pixel-peep or split hairs to tell the difference between for example a shot taken with an ultra wide and the kit lens, or the 50mm f/1.4 vs the kit lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »