December 20, 2014, 03:58:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?  (Read 6713 times)

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
I can't really find a lot of info on this but was wondering if anyone had any comments on if it would be possible to shoot tethered with the 1D X using the new built in LAN port? The gigabit LAN port is faster than your standard USB 2 connection, so in theory it would definitely be possible... Any input on this?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »

Canon-F1

Re: Canon EOS 1D X tethered via LAN?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »
would not make much sense if you can´t... don´t you think?

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
I believe the hype says this.  I'd prefer the much faster USB 3, but the lan is fast enough for 18mb files.

Picsfor

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
This was discussed at the London CPS, and the concept that you could have the camera mounted in one room, hooked up by Ethernet whilst controlling it from another room (tethered) was an accepted scenario.

I could see loads of options for that kind of tethering...

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
USB 3 cables, maximum length - 3 metres.  Gb ethernet cables, maximum length 100 metres.  It's a fantastic option for studio set ups.

Ryusui

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
Or they could just go wireless like the D4.   ;D

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »

Well, I suppose I can't blame you for not knowing that whether it is wireless or not makes no difference to whether or not the remote control mechanism will work.

The real difference is that wireless will be slower for the uploads.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »

Ryusui

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
The real difference is that wireless will be slower for the uploads.
Incredibly.  But unfortunately that's the trade-off for convenience of not being tied down.  Also, the OP was asking about tethered shooting and not specifically file transfer, so I assumed they were looking at both file transfer as well as shooting options from a laptop/desktop device.  With that assumption, I just casually mentioned the D4's wireless shooting mode - HTTP Mode - which, for the convenience of wireless, a lot of people find pretty handy.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »

The wireless on a D4 is an add on accessory, just like on the 1D X; so what was your point again?

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

The wireless on a D4 is an add on accessory, just like on the 1D X; so what was your point again?

Here's the Nikon D4 setup with the WT-5 transmitter
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/06/additional-nikon-d4-coverage.aspx/

And the 1DX with the WFT-E6 transmitter
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11666-12020

Similar price, similar size...

Built in wifi would be very well received...even if it was a modestly powered setup with a 5-10 meter range.

Paul Wright

daltech

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
Basically for tethered, they have a web interface integrated into the camera which you control it from, so you could in theory control the camera to and from anywhere in the world. There's additional features in regards to the LAN, it's Gigabit, and has an FTP client on the camera that can be set to upload the pictures automatically on your server via LAN, so you could be overseas on an assignment and from the hotel web access upload your pictures to your office's server.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

Bernard

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
@daltech Thank you for the article - very informative and I am still reading through it all. I think the tethered option over LAN opens amazing possibilities, not to mention that card reader might now no longer be required :)

As for wireless... Wireless is still extremely slow but very convenient for file transfers. Have a look at http://www.eye.fi/

These memory cards basically have wifi built into them! I have used one of them and the concept is great, even though it still only works in a very specific environment - not really PRO oriented, more granny friendly  :) It still requires additional software on the PC but it is definately a technology I am sure we are going to see much more of. So we won't need wireless adaptors on the camera... The memory card will have it :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
As for wireless... Wireless is still extremely slow but very convenient for file transfers. Have a look at http://www.eye.fi/
So we won't need wireless adaptors on the camera... The memory card will have it :)

Except EyeFi cards are SD-format only, and many higher-end Canon bodies use only CF cards - including the 1D X.  So, your talking about an EyeFi card inserted into a SD-to-CF adapter which seems like a potentially problematic setup. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

Ryusui

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »

That the 1D X doesn't have a similar HTTP Mode?  :-[

At least, that's what I thought till daltech posted that awesome article which I never saw before.  Unfortunately, I had never looked at previous WFTs and didn't know it was already a function, so I thank daltech for educating me on this!

So we won't need wireless adaptors on the camera... The memory card will have it :)

Except EyeFi cards are SD-format only, and many higher-end Canon bodies use only CF cards - including the 1D X.  So, your talking about an EyeFi card inserted into a SD-to-CF adapter which seems like a potentially problematic setup.
Seems, nothing.  It's been documented that using EyeFi in an SD-CF can work...but not all the time with all adapters.  It's pretty much a problem.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:22:08 PM by Ryusui »

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »
Not exactly on topic, but not far enough off that I thought it worth starting a new thread:

Does anyone have a tethered (or wifi) workflow that they're using or can recommend a source for working out details?

What I'm envisioning is while at...say a triathlon...there is a photographer shooting the swim, one on the bike and one on the run.  But meanwhile back at the finish line there sits a nice big screen TV with a slideshow running thru real-time captured photos so everyone can stand around watching for pictures of themselves (and then buy a few.   ;) )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »