September 21, 2014, 08:18:15 AM

Author Topic: What makes a photographer, a photographer?  (Read 11193 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a photographer, a photographer?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
finding that i got my first negative karma point.   :o oops, sorry.

The 1st one might sting a bit; the 333rd, not so much...   :D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
My unsolicited suggestion: call your friend. Tell her you were wrong and realize you shouldn't have tried to take credit for her work. Then discuss how you can work together so that she gets the credit due her and you can still make a profit. She may be perfectly happy to let you make some money so long as she gets credit.

I took down the retouched/watermarked photo already and uploaded the unedited original and credited her but that made her even more mad.  :-[ Yeah, we originally scheduled to meet so I can apologize and resolve this mess except she misread the location and now I sure hope that didn't make her even more mad. I'll see her later today and get this resolved. Thanks unfocused.

And thanks to all who contributed to this thread! really interesting reading all these interpretations.

I sure hope I didn't offend anyone with any of my posts.  finding that i got my first negative karma point.   :o oops, sorry.

If this was a close friend of yours, by all means and repair your relationship with them as that may be more important than any one photo.  That being said, if it was me, I would take ownership of the image with a note near the photo saying "taken by:xxxx"  Especially if you did the post on it and made it your own.  The original implied relationship was she was helping YOU, and assuming you may have been shooting also with another camera and giving direction/pointers to the friend, then do what you feel like you need to do. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
finding that i got my first negative karma point.   :o oops, sorry.

The 1st one might sting a bit; the 333rd, not so much...   :D

That's worth a +1 for the laugh.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
A camera and an opinion.  ;D
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

spaced

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
If you want to be a photographer in Iceland:

"Working as a photographer or calling oneself a photographer requires a masters degree in photography from the Reykjavík Technical College, or a similar degree from another industry-based school in Iceland"

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#cite_ref-50

:o

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »

"Working as a photographer or calling oneself a photographer requires a masters degree in photography from the Reykjavík Technical College, or a similar degree from another industry-based school in Iceland"

Wow.  That is nuts.  What are the requirements for other hobbies e.g. cycling, gardening, fishing?

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »

Wow.  That is nuts.  What are the requirements for other hobbies e.g. cycling, gardening, fishing?

I suppose in Iceland then you can only claim to be "a person who photographs, cycles, gardens, fishes, etc." but not a photographer, cyclist, gardener, or fisherman.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
Let's say you have a person who just set his camera for a shoot. He fiddled with the settings and walked off to blow his nose. Then his kid/cat/dog/friend pushes the shutter button.

The person later post processes all the pictures including the one he didn't "take".

Who is the photographer of that photo?

IMHO...

There is no photographer.  A real photographer sorts through his photos, tosses the duds, and only processes the best shots....

The "photo" in question is not a photo, just a file hogging space on the flash card....

Yes I avoided the question, it's a politician's answer, but it's my answer.  So there

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
Someone with a 5D ii or better, 4 L lenses, 3 top-notch speedlites, lots of umbrellas and stands, a carbon-fiber tripod, and makes $80,000+ a year selling photographs.

If you don't meet those requirements you have no business owning a camera.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
Someone with a 5D ii or better, 4 L lenses, 3 top-notch speedlites, lots of umbrellas and stands, a carbon-fiber tripod, and makes $80,000+ a year selling photographs.

If you don't meet those requirements you have no business owning a camera.
you forgot to add a sarcasm disclaimer....
APS-H Fanboy

MazV-L

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
One time when I set out to do some light drawing/ painting photography I forgot my cable shutter release so I had to ask my sister to hold down the shutter button (needed the camera in bulb mode) while I did all the light art for the shot (It was impossible to do both without the cable shutter-release) and just told her when it was time to release the shutter. I still consider the photos taken that night,my photos although I did not physically press the shutter button, I set the camera settings, set-up the tripod and did all the light-painting in the shot, in fact my sister wouldn't have had a clue as to camera settings etc., but do give her credit for helping to take the shots, without her help, I'd have been unable to use the Bulb-setting and been limited to 30secs per shot.

krisbell

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
I got into a debate just recently with my upcoming wedding photographer. I asked if I could have a small handful of RAW files and they politely but firmly refused - stating they are the owners and it is their creative vision that makes the photo. HOWEVER, my fiance and I have chosen the time of day, the location, the venue, the clothing, hairstyling, makeup, props etc...in essence a huge proportion of the creative element that will go into each photo. I also plan on processing those RAWs myself - a further large creative input. Granted there is still a lot of creative scope on the part of the photographer but it felt kind of weird to be told that the photographer owns the RAW pictures of me and my partner and can use it anyway they see fit, citing the creative angle. I dont know how you measure who put more creativity into the photo but it isnt clear cut from my perspective.
Current gear: Canon 5DIII, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II, Canon 300mm f2.8L II, 2x extender III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristianbell/

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
I got into a debate just recently with my upcoming wedding photographer. I asked if I could have a small handful of RAW files and they politely but firmly refused - stating they are the owners and it is their creative vision that makes the photo. HOWEVER, my fiance and I have chosen the time of day, the location, the venue, the clothing, hairstyling, makeup, props etc...in essence a huge proportion of the creative element that will go into each photo. I also plan on processing those RAWs myself - a further large creative input. Granted there is still a lot of creative scope on the part of the photographer but it felt kind of weird to be told that the photographer owns the RAW pictures of me and my partner and can use it anyway they see fit, citing the creative angle. I dont know how you measure who put more creativity into the photo but it isnt clear cut from my perspective.
When I take pictures for where I work, they own them and control them. I do not even have the right to put them in a portfolio.... but that's what the job is defined as.... I am paid to produce a product. Photography is unusual because by convention, the photos belong to the photographer and you are paying them for use of the image. If you want the image to belong to you, put it in the contract and make sure the photographer signs.

As is said, "the devil is in the details", and when you hire someone for any job it needs to be made abundantly clear who does what, and in the case of photography, who owns the images.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Same story if you setup a wildlife trigger and a wild animal trips the shutter.  The deer or whatever is not the photographer!
Good example!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
There is no photographer.  A real photographer sorts through his photos, tosses the duds, and only processes the best shots....

Film era at the rescue.
Cartier Bresson wasn't developping himself BUT working closely to have his view respected (the no crop millimeter)
Gary Winogarnd died with 2500 rolls undevelopped. Never sorted any.

For the rest the widlife trigger parabol does the trick.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »