September 26, 2017, 12:02:53 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Known Specifications  (Read 54129 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Known Specifications
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »

Below is what we think are some of the confirmed specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS-1D X Mark II.

Specifications:

• Resolution: 22mp (we think something was lost in translation, we reported 22mp, effective is 20.2mp)

• Media: 1 CFast / 1 CompactFlash

• LCD: Some touchscreen functionality

• Video: 4K at 60fps (other video specifications unknown)

• Feature: GPS

• Price: $5999 USD (could fluctuate slightly)

• Announcement: First week of February 2016

• Shipping: April 2016

Unconfirmed Specifications:

• Feature: 4K RAW video mode for frame capture for stills.

We have no solid confirmation of stills frame rate, processor type, battery type or LCD screen size. We do know that the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II will not feature built-in wifi.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:20:03 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Known Specifications
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »

Chaitanya

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Known Specifications
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »
Few weeks time the specs will be revealed. Canon has to do 4k on this camera as its main competitor D5 got 4k. Its just a tick mark in box for marketing.

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »
Media: 1 CFast / 1 CompactFlash  I think that's a big mistake from Canon.

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:26:28 AM »
Craig, do we know anything about NDAs expiring? Rumored dates? Obviously it's got to be on before those super secret Canon announcement events the first week of Feb.
Financial Planner by day, Photography by heart.

5D Mk III, 5DSR, 1DX Mk II

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »

They wont abandon the most widely used medium (CF) by their core users, but they dont want to NOT have the newer tech. So it's a compromise. (If its true).  They'll probably have a conversion program

GuyF

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »

Yup, if you're able to dump $6k on a new body, the price of these faster memory cards won't stop the purchase. Okay, so keeping a single slot as CF allows a bit of backward compatibility but dual CFast would be neat.

Orangutan

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »

Transitions are always difficult, but this is probably a well-considered marketing decision, and it probably tells us something about who they expect (hope) to buy the product.

Pro sports shooters: memory cards are cost of doing business, but deep buffer and wireless connectivity may be more important.  For them it probably doesn't matter.

Pro Adventure photographers: current CF is good enough, especially with a deep buffer

Pro wedding/event photographers: CF is good enough

Dedicated amateurs (e.g. serious amateur bird photographers): CF with deep buffer is good enough

Videographers using 4K: need CFast.  If this camera is worth using for serious 4K video, it's worth buying some CFast; however, as CR Guy said, they would likely use an external recorder if it's an option.

Remember, Canon is not looking at the usability advantages for YOUR specific shooting style, they're looking at the sales potential.  What potential buyer would refrain merely because one of the slots is old CF?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »

Yup, if you're able to dump $6k on a new body, the price of these faster memory cards won't stop the purchase. Okay, so keeping a single slot as CF allows a bit of backward compatibility but dual CFast would be neat.

Not how that works. Giant media outfits who own/buy these cameras by the boatload are running CF now. If they have to purchase 100 new cards at $250 each for 128GB cfast2 .... Do the math. No, you dont shank your biggest bulk buying audience.

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Really wish Canon would follow a modular dual CF and dual CFast card setup like the D5.

So Canon is follow Nikon's strategy with the D4s of one CF and one faster memory card.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
If the full speed for stills is possible with a fast CF, and CFast's only benefit is video recording, I'm fine with that.  I don't think that'll be the case, though.  Still, based in the known specs so far, I'm not inclined to upgrade anyway.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
I skipped the 1D X so I might be inclined to get this.

I love the hand feel and user experience of pro bodies. When I use bodies that depend on SD cards... I feel disappointed
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

kaptainkatsu

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 1DX Mark II
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »
I wish it had wifi, the one thing I miss about my 70D after I upgraded to two 7D Mark II's. Don't want to spend another $800 for a wireless transmitter. Its nice to be able to shoot over one or two photos to your phone for social media purposes while shooting an event
1DX II | 7D II x2 (one for sale) | 16-35 f/4 | 18-135 | 24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 70-200 F/2.8 II | 85 f/1.8

msm

• EOS 80D
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
4K 60p when their 3x more expensive cinema bodies only does 30p? I would be very surprised.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »

Not how that works. Giant media outfits who own/buy these cameras by the boatload are running CF now. If they have to purchase 100 new cards at $250 each for 128GB cfast2 .... Do the math. No, you dont shank your biggest bulk buying audience.

That's exactly how it works, if the buyers are getting cameras by the hundred then the cards are still a comparatively small expense, besides, your assumption is that these bulk buyers don't already own any CFast cards, which is unlikely considering the wide application of them already in video.

Don't forget all this bulk buying is done at huge discounts and is a 100% business write off.

It isn't shanking, it is progress.......
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »

That's exactly how it works, if the buyers are getting cameras by the hundred then the cards are still a comparatively small expense, besides, your assumption is that these bulk buyers don't already own any CFast cards, which is unlikely considering the wide application of them already in video.

Don't forget all this bulk buying is done at huge discounts and is a 100% business write off.

It isn't shanking, it is progress.......

last time i checked a business writeoff only gets you back around 30% at the end of the year.

also the vast majority of the 1DX customers probably don't have CFAST.

also I suspect going by "what is in your kit" that the majority of pros have around 10-20 cards.

at $200 a pop that actually gets close to the cost of the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »