April 20, 2014, 08:37:58 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Information [CR1]  (Read 20515 times)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Information [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/slr/elan7n_instructions.pdf

page 48

If they can make This part work well i'll be impressed (pg49)

Eye Control Servo AF
When you use Eye Control in the AI Servo AF mode (or AI Focus AF set
to AI Servo AF), you can focus a moving subject continuously just by
looking at it. This is called Eye Control Servo AF.
If the subject focused with Eye Control starts to move, you can continue
to focus-track the subject with your eye by looking at the next AF point
covering the subject while holding down the shutter button halfway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:10:37 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
One mentioned the 5D Mark III getting GPS related certification, no mention of what that certification was called.
I do a lot of work with OEM GPS systems and I'm not aware of any such thing. For safety of life navigation applications, such as aircraft, government bodies like the FAA have an approval process but you don't need any approval just to use the GPS network. They are just a receiver afterall so one that doesn't perform well doesn't affect any other users.

The only certification required AFAIK are CE and FCC type approvals to make sure they don't emit spurious transmissions, the same certifications that just about all consumer electronic equipment has to undergo. That testing and certification is only required before production. For a camera with GPS it would have to be tested in final configuration as a pair. Even minor changes to the hardware can invalidate it, so I'm sure it's something Canon would only do when the design is close to being set it concrete.

Actually most companies Canon's size can and do use self-certification and testing, so no need for them to tell any 3rd party or government agencies they are about to release a GPS-enabled product.

nexus

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
 >:( release it already or...

I'll release the KRAKEN!  ;D

mememe

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:38 AM »
The second communication talked about a prototype having eye control autofocus.
So this second statement is totally bollocks... There wont be any Eye-Control anymore...

pp77

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »
I would love to see a come back of the eye control focus. I was very happy with it on my EOS 30, it worked when I was wearing glasses, even sunglasses! Maybe time to take out this old body, must still be somewhere.

D.Sim

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 03:05:55 AM »
8) Sounds like a rumor you shouldn't have bothered with. GPS enabled but no 7d-like autofocus. Please! Eye controlled focus; there is probably a reason Canon abandoned it. Maybe it didn't work well in practice.
You sure you're on the right forum? Its Canon Rumours for a reason...

That said, I'm surprised they're not upping the AF of the camera, (or not - pushing people to the 1 series...)

Eye controlled AF, now that would be interesting though...

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »
I experienced Eye Control AF on the Eos3 - Wasn't very good.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 03:25:57 AM »

jstn

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 03:28:02 AM »
I could care less about the amount of focus points. As long as the ones that are there actually work, and work well!

Imagine you are shooting a wedding, you find the face in a small crowd you want your focus plane on, set a focus point over it and look at it with your eye... Boom! Instant perfect focus, without fiddling with your dial.

Although this sounds more like something for an "EOS 3D." Current technology would allow for a much more robust eye tracking system, and 3D eye control would really justify the name.

willrobb

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 04:06:25 AM »
I would love to see a come back of the eye control focus. I was very happy with it on my EOS 30, it worked when I was wearing glasses, even sunglasses! Maybe time to take out this old body, must still be somewhere.

I had it on a EOS 7 about 10 years ago, it was awesome. Recently I was thinking about it and wondering if it'd make a come back anytime, I would be very happy if it did. Even if it wasn't perfect, I'm pretty sure it'd be better thanthe current 5DmkII AF abilities ;)

As for the other possible specs mentioned such as FPS, they would all seem to make sense. A bit of an upgrade from the current 5DmkII, not as good as the 1DX specs so it won't cut into the sales of it, but strong enough on it's own to persuade people to upgrade their current 5D bodies and persuade the 1DX owners that it'd be a decent camera to have as a back up when they don't need the the high FPS...if the rumoured eye focus is in and it works well I think a lot of people would want one.

Doodah

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »
The Camera and Photo Imaging Show 2012 will be held from 9th to 12th Feb 2012. Expect Nikon D800 and Canon 5D3 to surface around that time. Just a hunch.

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
Do u guys know if that eye control focus is a very expensive system? Because if not, it would be cool too find it in a Rebel.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

MazV-L

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
Regarding the eye-control focus, would they really include a feature in the 5diii that is not included in the 1DX, when the 5Diii is the lesser model ???

Picsfor

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »
If the 5 points are cross type, then I say yay! If only 1 is cross type, I say nay!
+1

I have no issue having only 5 AF points, as long as they are nicely spread out and all full cross type.
Add that to the 5D2 and you've fixed its only shortfall...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »

mrcrsr

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »
For what a 5D MK III?
I have been waiting for a very long time for the new 5D MK III. Last year in January I bought the 5D MK II. (because I was tired of waiting and I needed a second body)
Since October when the 1D X was announced I decided for myself to buy the new 1D X...
I will not wait any time longer for a 5D MK III!

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »
9-point, all cross-type autofocus with an extra-sensitive centre point for lenses faster than f/2.8
high-speed shooting at 5.3fps

FF version of 60D... simples  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »