October 21, 2014, 01:49:30 PM

Author Topic: Why canon?  (Read 22793 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Why canon?
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

As an older guy the bottom line for me is Canon's Heaven Assurance Program (HAP). If you're a Canon user when you die, not only do you have an assured place in heaven -- but express check-in.

No such assurances with other brands.

Sure puts my mind at ease every time I pick up one of my cameras!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2012, 02:14:39 AM »
The video mode.  By far.  I use it more than I take pictures.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

As an older guy the bottom line for me is Canon's Heaven Assurance Program (HAP). If you're a Canon user when you die, not only do you have an assured place in heaven -- but express check-in.

No such assurances with other brands.

Sure puts my mind at ease every time I pick up one of my cameras!

+1  ;D ;D ;D Love it.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Otter

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Everyone I knew used Canon and recommended it.

thure1982

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Bought my first Ixus 400 ages ago and since then I've been hocked.

That camera actuality got stolen by a pensioner during a bank visit (long story) so I rushed into a Camera-store and bought a cheap "good" camera that was recommend. I needed a camera for the coming weeks vacation.
He gave me an Olympus somethingsomething...
Don't remember what what model it was but after having it for one week I returned it because "He said it would be as good as my two/three year old Canon" and it sure as f**k wasn't.

After that I didn't have a camera until I bought the just released Canon EOS 40D.
Nothing more to say...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:33:10 PM by thure1982 »

jwong

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Started with a film Pentax SLR because my dad had some old Pentax-compatible lenses.  I never bought lenses for it because I wanted a system that would last and had a wider choice of lenses.  Jumped into digital with Nikon Coolpix 990 in 2000 before dSLRs were available.  Jumped to Canon with the 20D in 2005 because it was the best at the time.  Been using the 20D (even now) and will upgrade to 5DIII, whenever it comes out.  I like it that Canon stuff is usually less expensive than their Nikon counterparts.  Plus this forum is so much more civil than the Nikon one.

Zo0m

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
I jumped to the canon boat when I decided to make the switch to FF. Since I needed to replace all my DX Nikon glass anyhow I figured I might as well try the other camp. So far really happy I decided to do it :)
Nikon D800, Nikkor 35 AF-S DX f1.8G, Sigma 85 f1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 150 f2.8 EX DG OS MACRO, Tokina 11-16 AT-X PRO f2.8 DX, Nikkor 28-300 f3.5-5.6G ED VR, Nikon SpeedLight SB-910
Formerly:
5D Mark 2, 550D, 12-24, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50, 85, 550EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »

timkbryant

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2012, 12:30:49 AM »
So, why are you all canon users? What makes you choose canon over Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc?

Way back, I bought a Powershot A80 (within weeks of it being discontinued, I got one of the last ones still for sale). Then, a few years later, when I needed to get an SLR for my reporting gig, I was already comfortable with Canon. I asked around and was told I couldn't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. So, I stuck with Canon and bought a Rebel XS. It's served me well.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

D_Rochat

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
My situation was very similar. I had owned a Canon point and shoot in the past and decided to stick with what was familiar (even though the P&S and DSLR are nothing alike....). Canon and Nikon were the only real two options for me and I think I'd be happy either way, but I do love L glass.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:05:18 AM by D_Rochat »

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
My reason's a bit lame but when moving from a P&S with little knowledge of DSLRs and lenses it was largely based on 80% or so of useful introductory YouTube videos seeming to use a Canon, plus most local stores seemed to stock a bit more in the Canon range than Nikon. Anyway after some brief research I saw their market share was roughly equal, so gathered it was a bit like a GM versus Ford argument so I'd just go for the system that seemed to offer the most Internet and local support. Now I'm a bit more informed never regretted it ;D.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
In 2009, 2-3 months before I even thought about buying a DLSR (P&S prior), I went to the annual exhibition for the National Geographic Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition at the Natural History Museum in London. Didn't occur to me at the time, but when I decided to go down the DSLR route, I recalled about 70% of the photos on display were taken with a Canon, as opposed to Nikon.

Simple as that!

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2012, 04:08:49 AM »
Simple: Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel in the US I think)
Before that one there simply was no affordable digital SLR out there. (Well, affordable for me of course) The 300D changed that. After that I was simply too invested in glass and accessories to switch to Nikon. (And let's face it, those two are so close together I see no point in switching brands just because Nikon might have the edge for a little while here and there) If Nikon would have come out with an equivalent of the 300D at that time instead of Canon I am pretty sure I would be a Nikonian.
Though with the 300D, 40D, and now my second 7D I gotta have to say I never regretted my choice.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

JigokuTrigger

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »
Natural progression. I had canon P&S all my life... (20odd years) so a Canon was my first choice. Although sometimes that little kid in me who wants to play with the other kids toy comes out and I think. Why did i not choose Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »

Joker328

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »
I was told I HAD to get other lenses, so I started looking and these were some of my noob thoughts:
1) I got 18MP yay, that must mean it's better than this guys 1DII since it's only 12mp!
2) Why are there so many 70-200mm and 70-300mm lenses?
3) I already have an 18-55IS, why is the 17-55IS $1000 more?!  For 1mm!?
4) Why is this 85mm cost $1800 more than this other 85mm?  I'm not sure what this f/number means but it's only .6 difference so how much better could it be?

Your "noob thoughts" cracked me up. I briefly got into photography when I was younger and understood the basics, but had no idea how much went into different pieces of equipment. I had an old Rebel and I think I just stuck with the kit zoom and a cheap telephoto zoom. But now that I'm getting back into it I'm realizing how much I didn't know, specifically how your typical concepts of "more is better" and generally quantifying quality just don't apply. This entire thread is a prime example of that. You don't see many posts saying, "I chose Canon for more MPs and AF points." Both brands make excellent products. It's mostly about feel, convenience, price, and chance/opportunity. At the end of the day, these are all just tools, and all the best tools can do is make your life/craft slightly easier. It's ultimately about how you use them. And that's why I'm leaning toward Canon at the moment. With Nikon's recent price fixing and shutting out of unauthorized repair shops, Nikon seems pretty intent on making life more difficult for their customers.

21tones

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
This is a very interesting thread for me, as I am just getting back into photography after a break of 20 years. I started photography with the all manual Praktica MTL3, because it was cheap, and got hooked. For some reason the importance of avoiding camera shake really made an impression on me and Canon's use of shutter priority auto on the AE-1 led me to buy that camera. When the A-1 came out shortly after I thought it was amazing, and had to have one, given I needed two cameras to do colour and b&w. When the T-90 came out it seemed space age, and I got one for the tremendous metering flexibility. Then shortly after Canon started to shift to auto-focus development, and FD lenses became obsolete. I gave up photography shortly after. When I wanted to use a camera again a few years later the T-90 shutter had seized. I got it fixed. It seized again... Now, I've been considering the Nikon D5100 and the Canon 600D. One brother-in-law uses a D700, the other a 5Dmk2. Both are supporting their brands! I really wanted to get the 5100 as I felt I'd been sold down the river by Canon, as my mass of FD stuff, which I still have, was no longer usable with EOS bodies. My Nikon brother-in-law, kept telling me how Nikon hadn't changed their lens mount etc. But the D5100 video seemed poor compared to the 600D. I don't anticipate using it much but my wife does. The handling for stills just didn't suit me - not enough direct access to what seem important parameters, if I understand digital ways of working well enough. I bought the 600D body yesterday to get the current cashback. Lens choices next! Then full-frame enticement probably as everywhere I go now I'm seeing potential photos..... Canon for APS-C it would seem, but I'm still keeping an open mind should I decide at some point to go for full frame, as the EF-S lenses needed for best match with the cropped format wouldn't be any use. At least Nikon is no different in that respect. I can envisage my son taking the Canon stuff with him when he leaves home and me starting from scratch again! Will I go for Canon for a third time?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »