November 27, 2014, 01:51:23 AM

Author Topic: Why canon?  (Read 23373 times)

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Why canon?
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
For us, it is not "why canon?", but "why the hell canon?". We are STUCK with Canon, at least for the next couple of months.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
Ditto many of the points from previous posters on this topic.

Because Nikon bodies are ugly

But in addition, being a photographer, aesthetics plays a big role inside of me too.

I really cannot stand why Nikon puts those ugly flash sync and 10-pin remote terminals in the front, hence their ugly rubber cover as well.  It's just sooooo ugly!   :o

Also if you compare the top part (from mode dial to the prism housing and all the way to the shutter release) of their cameras and that of Canon's, Canon's streamlined body is just totally sexy!

Well, it's just my view of aesthetics...  and it's just my little emotional feeling about Canon's camera.

gwei8

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
It just feels good in my hands, was never into Nikon ergonomics.

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
Back when I was buying my first DSLR I went into the camera store with my bag full of Nikon film lenses from my Nikon EM.  I first tried the entry level Nikon cameras and the salesman could not get the camera to work with my legacy lenses. 

I tried Canon next and it was a clear winner from the beginning since using old lenses was ruled out at the time.  Now I use my legacy Nikon lenses with an adapter on my Canon bodies.  What is funny is that since then I have used my legacy lenses on a few Nikon DSLR bodies and they work fine, I have no idea what this camera salesman did wrong!
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »
After getting a Canon AE-1 for college graduation I fell in love with it, never a mechanical issue.  I've never looked elsewhere despite my younger brother's excellent concert photos from the 70's and 80s on his Nikon.  Sibling rivalry perhaps?
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
mine is for sure simple. its just what i picked up first. i learned everything using a 40D body, before even handling a nikon. i did also learn via a pentax K1000 but i mean in the DSLR area, its just what i picked up first. now, i have used various nikons, but the button layout, and overall ergonomics in my opinion just isnt right unlike the canon button layout.  I have shot before with a Nikon D3 before and it does shoot great, but its just the buttons that now get me. also the price of conversions or differences between canon or Nikon is quite the difference. Canon is the cheaper route i feel.. to an extent of course. its still expensive. D:
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

Cannon Man

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I think i bought my first point and shoot because  there seemed to be more commercials for canon and also other canon products so i trusted Canon to get my first 250$ and stuck with canon till this day.

The reason i am still with canon are the 1D cameras and an excellent collection of lenses that i trust more than the nikkors, the lenses i can't live without are the TS-E 24mm 3.5L II and the 85mm 1.2L II USM.

I prefer Canon to nikon but having said that i have nothing against nikon. My only problem has been that the nikon cameras have been really ugly an i still don't why the D4 has the stupid wheel on top. and the 24MP D3 had a bad buffer and the pictures were slow to come to the screen. why make a 7000$ camera underpowered.

If your still reading this i would like to point out that i don't believe in religiously sticking to one brand.. why now own them all?? and the upcoming D4 is a beautiful camera that i will get as an addition to my kit just for the heck of owning one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

ghosh9691

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Simple: Back then (early 90's), Nikons were noisy buggers due to their screw focus, i.e. motor in the body coupled to lens by means of a screw driver. Scared all the birds away with the noise! Canon on the other hand was whisper quiet (by those standards) and the birds (both, winged and wingless two-legged variety) loved it :)

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
Getting good advice on web forums helped me choose Canon for the killer combination of price, features, quality and lenses.  Not the high-end stuff, but beginner stuff like the decent kit lens, 70-200 f/4 and 55-250.

What has locked me in is Magic Lantern. Features like focus peaking in live view, trap focus, intervalometer, focus racking... awesome.

chrisdeckard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Lotus Photography
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »
First, the obvious reason...  Because red is better than yellow in so many ways.  Red shoes?  Better!  (Man with one red shoe as an example).  Cherry better than lemon.  Lasers?  When do we ever see yellow lasers?  Red light saber?  Better!

I started out on a Rebel XS.  I picked that over the equivalent Nikon because a good friend told me that I should pick what most people around me had.  That way we could share lenses, accessories, etc.  If more people around me had used Nikon, I probably would have gone that way instead.

What I've come to find, though, is that the used lens market for Canon is absolutely HUGE!  More than half of my lens and body purchases have been purchased used.  The prices are better, and if you don't find what you want, wait a day or two.  It'll show up.  Canon lens naming conventions are a lot clearer too.  It is what it is, no extra stuff.  I like that there are normally at least two lenses within a focal range.  That way I can start out cheap(er) and work my way up if I know I'll use it more or have a specific need after using it for a while.

I'll definitely second the Ashton Kutcher comment.  Don't really care for him, so would rather not employ him. 

Deep down I think both are great.  It's like buying tools.  You can go to Sears and get Craftsman or Lowe's to get whatever they have.  It's how the tool feels in your hand, and how it meets your specific needs.  The only problem with this "set of tools" is that once you buy a lot of them, you are kind of locked in.
5D Mark III, 7D, 60D, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 24-70 f/2.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-40 f/4 L, TS-E 45 f/2.8

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
Getting good advice on web forums helped me choose Canon for the killer combination of price, features, quality and lenses.  Not the high-end stuff, but beginner stuff like the decent kit lens, 70-200 f/4 and 55-250.

What has locked me in is Magic Lantern. Features like focus peaking in live view, trap focus, intervalometer, focus racking... awesome.

What body do you mate the ML to, and how was the transition experience? Is it intuitive or does it have a steep learning curve. Would appreciate your input.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Emeyerphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Erik Meyer Photography
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
The reason I shoot Canon is two-fold.  I was a Minolta shooter but I was outgrowing my Minolta 5d.  A co-worker was a wedding shooter who used a 30d and I was impressed by how it felt in my hands and the availability of lenses, batteries, and accessories there were compared to Minolta/Sony so I saved up my milk money and purchased a 40d which I still use, and have never thought about looking back.
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

Ronaldbyram

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
I think of it like this.. Are you a Jeep or a Land-rover person or Chevy or Ford.  (you like what you like)
Me I'm  Jeep(I own 3).  When it came time for the Digital world  my first was a Nikon Cool pics P/S. But it went back and I got canon.  Then when it came time to move up to DSLR,  I have sitting at my feet a older Minolta x700 SLR and I could of bought Sony and used those lenses.  I looked at the Canon vs Nikon.  I chose Canon. Anyone can buy a Nikon and I see a lot of people in my camera classes have them.   For me I like to standout.. Be a Rebel!.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Years ago the XTi was on sale.  $15,000 worth of equipment later, here I am.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
Years ago the XTi was on sale.  $15,000 worth of equipment later, here I am.

+1: short and sweet, says it all doesn't it?

How does a sales campaign justify itself, how do they quantify that by losing $100-200 they gained thousands... very interesting.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »