October 20, 2014, 11:09:12 PM

Author Topic: Shooting professional sports (NHL) with a DSLR - access denied!  (Read 14842 times)

wireplanner

Re: Shooting professional sports (NHL) with a DSLR - access denied!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
One thing I hate is the "no professional cameras allowed" or "no detectable lens" .
I bought the new SX40 HS to solve this problem. It`s got the reach and the IQ is better than I thought
it would be. It not the same as my 7D and 70-200, but it works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
I attend the games of my pro soccer team and have been allowed field access several times because of my BWL (Big White Lens).  But pro Soccer here is like triple A baseball in other places, they are happy to have people show up period.

That said, try out your local semi-pro teams, college teams and high school.  I don't live near triple AAA teams anymore, but when I did, I had no problem getting in with gear. 

Make contacts and inquiries ahead of time.  Join something so thou can say you are a part of something. The ____photo club...  Heck, find a local newspaper and ask to be an unpaid intern/staffer. 

markIVantony

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Unfortunately you do have to check the venues.  Here's an example:
- camera body cannot exceed 3" in length/depth
- detachable lenses must be less than 5 inches long and 3.5 in diameter
- combined camera/lens must be 8" or less in overall length
- all other attachments are prohibited including wide angle lenses!

Care to guess why wide-angle lenses are prohibited?

photophreek

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
Unlike other major league sports (MLB, NFL, NBA), the NHL owns all the photo/video rights in each of the arenas in the league.  If I remember correctly, these rules are stated on the ticket.  So it's not the venue that is imposing the photo rules but the league.  It doesn't matter what type of camera you are bringing into the arena. 

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
Unlike other major league sports (MLB, NFL, NBA), the NHL owns all the photo/video rights in each of the arenas in the league.  If I remember correctly, these rules are stated on the ticket.  So it's not the venue that is imposing the photo rules but the league.  It doesn't matter what type of camera you are bringing into the arena. 

AT least in the Montreal arena they actually let you in with any small non-DSLR camera (point and shoot basically) - and if you think about it that make sense because if they were to forbid that they might as well forbit an iPhone as well!  So I guess we are allowed candid pictures of the fans and your friends with you and maybe a candid picture of a player if you are lucky unought to be sitting close, but nothing that can give a "professional look" which would compete with the accredited photographer by the NHL...

What is funny is that this morning on the local radio I kept hearing about some pictures that were taken yesterday by supposidly one of the best sport photographer in Montreal, and the guy was sitting next two rows from me yesterday during the game.  I would have gotten great shots...lesson learn in any case.  This is an interesting topic.

I certainly learned a lot from all the response!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

karminator

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
I took my Rebel to a Washington Nationals game (MLB) and security measured my 55-250mm lens against a dollar bill.  Since it was shorter than a dollar bill it wasn't considered a professional zoom and I was allowed to use it.

The Nationals spring training stadium is here in Viera, FL and until last year it was OK to shoot with my 100-400 on a 50D or 7D. Last year they started a "six inch" rule. Good thing I had my lighter 70-200 f/4 IS with the 1.4X in my pocket. I guess it was close enough to 6" to get in. I'm thinking of telling my wife that I need a 70-300 L because of the new rule  ;D

Too funny  8)

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
Not Sports - but -

Disney theme parks have had security bag-check rules that prohibit long lenses and tripods.  Interpretation tends to vary depending on calls by the security personnel. 

The suspected reason for the ban on long lenses has been paparazzi concerns when celebrities are in the park. 

The tripod issue tends to vary more and likely related to crowding issues; I had no problem bringing a Manfrotto 055 in over the early December; but not so sure that would be good around New Years.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:41:09 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »

lynx0069

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
longtime lurker, decided to reply to this thread since it is a good one  :)
i have been to numerous blue jays games at the skydome (it is NOT rogers center) and have never had a problem getting my gripped XSi, and 100-400L past security in a backpack, they ask me to open it all up for inspection, and the most comments i get is wow, nice lens.
i have also taken same setup into ivor wynne for ticats games and once again, never a problen.
a friend at work is going to the alumni game this week end at ivor wynne with his XSi, and my 100-400, hope they let him in lol

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
quote author JR
I wonder how the "no detachable lens" rule will apply - or if it does get applied - to small mirrorless cameras with detachable lenses?

quote author dilbert
For sure they would need to adjst for that.  I just could see them refusing a small camera because it is detachable lens!  Then again I am sure they have not thought about it yet!

At the Calgary flames venue my T1i and lens (not big and definitely not white) was not allowed because of the interchangeable lens rule.  I took it with for memories photo's (17-50 F2.8) as it was our first hockey game and would never have been able to get action shots with it.  However, my wife's GF3 with intergangible lens was fine - because the security guard said P&S cameras are allowed.

So next time I will take the "P&S" with a longer lens (14-140) in another pocket because don't worry, P&Shoots are allowed.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »

AT least in the Montreal arena they actually let you in with any small non-DSLR camera (point and shoot basically)

Same goes here. Here's the policy of the MTS Centre (keeping in mind the company that owns the arena owns the Jets):

Cameras
Professional cameras are prohibited at all events in MTS Centre unless accompanied by appropriate facility media credentials. Video cameras and audio recorders are also prohibited unless specifically approved. MTS Centre will not check cameras for guests at events that cameras are prohibited, and they must therefore be taken back to vehicles or surrendered. Still (non-professional) cameras are allowed for Winnipeg Jets hockey games and certain other events (the use of flash is prohibited). If unsure of camera policy for an event, please check in advance.

What's vague in this policy is what defines a "professional camera", but for all intensive purposes it includes all DSLRs in their eyes.  Even though the new G1X is pushing some of the DSLRs for quality based on what I've read here.  I think it's because it is easy to tell low paid/part time security people, if it has a detachable lens and a DSLR body it's not allowed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:00:29 PM by bigblue1ca »

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
When I was working on a project assignment in Seattle last year I wanted to watch a match of the Seahawks. As I was planning to bring my 400F2.8 on a monopod I did send them an inquiry beforehand if that would be allowed. It wasn't, here's what I got as a reply:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your email and support.  The following is our camera policy;

Personal photography is permitted at Qwest Field provided the images are for personal use only; however, any audio or video recording is in violation of the National Football League. Photographic support tools that may interfere with others' enjoyment of the game (tripods, professional lenses - larger than 200 mm, etc.) are not permitted in the stadium.

For more information on stadium policies you can view our stadium guide online at http://www.seahawks.com/gameday/stadium-guide/gameday-policies.html.

Sincerely,

Seattle Seahawks/CenturyLink Field Customer Service
(888) NFL-HAWK
12 Seahawks Way
Renton, WA 98056
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

kenjancef

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
Mike,

So they say "larger than 200mm..." So could you have taken a 70-200 and not get in trouble? It's not larger than 200mm... :)

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Right, but that would have meant buying very expensive tickets to sit as close to the pitch as possible to capture a lot of detail. Smuggling in an 1.4X would have slowed it down too much, wouldn't have been able to freeze any motion in the pics.
So eventually I did not go to the match but was working on some inportant document instead which made my client happy but not me... ;-)
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »

kimloris

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
I confirm that I could bring my 70-200 4L at the NFL game in Seattle (Seahawks vs Cardinals) last September.
My backpack was of course inspected by security but they were looking for weapons and drinks (all drinks are forbidden except factory sealed bottled water).

The only "issue" I had was when I tried to walk in the stadium to have different shooting angles (and go closer), security told me that I could take pictures from my seat but that I was not allowed to walk around (and even less allowed to stand in the stairs).
Too bad, I was seating really far up in the stadium.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:33:21 PM by kimloris »

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
I confirm that I could bring my 70-200 4L at the NFL game in Seattle (Seahawks vs Cardinals) last September.
My backpack was of course inspected by security but they were looking for weapons and drinks (all drinks are forbidden except factory sealed bottled water).

The only "issue" I had was when I tried to walk in the stadium to have different shooting angles (and go closer), security told me that I could take pictures from my seat but that I was not allowed to walk around (and even less allowed to stand in the stairs).
Too bad, I was seating really far up in the stadium.

Wow, so my experience at the Charger game wasn't a fluke.  I'll certainly have to check the next time I go to a NFL game.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »