October 23, 2014, 05:01:47 AM

Author Topic: canon factory cleaning costs  (Read 15756 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: canon factory cleaning costs
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
Donate some of those extra points over then...  ;)

Hmm.. Europe. Wonder if its applicable in Malaysia...  *goes to check*
Edit:

http://www.canon.com.my/personal/web/support/professional_personal

Jesus

2.   A professional photographer who earns 100% of his income from photography 

Doesn't that rule out interest income?

Wow, they're strict in Malaysia.

In the US all you need are serial numbers, and a credit card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »

Well spotted ;D. I assume plenty of pros also have other sidelines especially if their paid photography work is somewhat seasonal or they are involved in a family business as well for example.

As an amateur I'll never be eligible even though after a quick add up on that list I'd be at 43 points. Personally I can't see why it can't be something like "Canon Premium Service" and you spend the cash with Canon and you get the benefits. When I book an airline flight they don't ask me if it's business or pleasure to work out how many frequent flyer points I should get.

D.Sim

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 01:41:31 AM »

Well spotted ;D. I assume plenty of pros also have other sidelines especially if their paid photography work is somewhat seasonal or they are involved in a family business as well for example.

As an amateur I'll never be eligible even though after a quick add up on that list I'd be at 43 points. Personally I can't see why it can't be something like "Canon Premium Service" and you spend the cash with Canon and you get the benefits. When I book an airline flight they don't ask me if it's business or pleasure to work out how many frequent flyer points I should get.

There is also that matter of the "his" income, I'd imagine the few female photographers we have would be apalled by that.

Wonder why the standards are so different across the board though...

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:43 AM »
Under the scheme in Europe, I only qualify for Silver, because my second body (7D) only qualifies as Silver (yet the original 5D is Gold). Under the points system, I'd have 69 points and easily qualify for Platinum, even after selling a couple of lenses.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »

Not to mention ruling out half the population... >:(  or am I being too PC?

Agreed.  Could I stretch the definition?  I have a fair bit of Canon gear (113 points, FWIW), and I do make images as part of my profession - does Canon really need to know that I make them using a Bruker MRI and a bunch of Zeiss microscopes?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
Nice catch neuro... maybe in their native language they have a single word that refers to both genders and just didn't get the translation politically correct.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »

does Canon really need to know that I make them using a Bruker MRI and a bunch of Zeiss microscopes?

There's a thought :p. The NHS can't stretch to Zeiss, we have to make do with mostly old Nikon's, with a couple of ancient Wild's and an Olympus (LED - we splashed out last year) mixed in. I don't have much use for an MRI scanner though, although a Bruker MALDI-TOF would come in handy :p.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »
Anyone knows what is the average costs for a lens or camera body, clean and/or check service?
trying to determine if their CPL memberships are anything worth:
the gold member offers two free check and clean - body or lens - and costs $100 per year
When I take my gear to canon's Irvine, Ca factory service center they charge $35.00 for a sensor clean (any body).  When my 30D needed cleaning, canon charged me $60.00 and they also included a sensor clean with it.  My buddy, took his 24-70 due to a fall and broke the mounting barrel, they charged him $180 to repair and clean the lens.  The good thing I found is when joining CPS, you get your equipment back a lot faster than a normal consumer.   
Canon 5D MK3, Canon 5D MK2, Canon T2i, Canon 24-70L f2.8, Canon 16-35L II f2.8, Canon 70-200L f2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, 600EX-RT, 580EX II

Kahuna

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
I've walked into the Irvine site with my 5D classic to get the dreaded black spots taken care of and after a nice conversation with the receptionist, the 5D was returned sparkling clean with a sensor cleaning thrown in for free.

But typically if you drop it off for a sensor cleaning its $35.

AdamJ

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
I just found this on the US-based CPS website:

CPS has replaced its equipment-based requirements program with a points system to better accommodate professionals who own various types of Pro Canon equipment.

Does anyone know if those changes could be expected for CPS Europe as well? For now my equipment does not meet the minimum requirements yet. I would highly appreciate having a points based system, because that way my equipment would even qualify for the gold membership.

I wish the UK had the same benefits as the US. At the moment, membership in the UK gets priority repair turnaround times and a loan replacement if the turnaround time isn't met. That's it. And you need at least two pro / semi pro bodies and three L lenses to qualify (three bodies / four L lenses for Platinum).

I'd much prefer to pay $100 for the US level of service. The US points system is more flexible as well. I'd also have gold membership based on points but as I have just one qualifying body on the UK system, I qualify for nothing.

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

Agreed.  Could I stretch the definition?  I have a fair bit of Canon gear (113 points, FWIW), and I do make images as part of my profession - does Canon really need to know that I make them using a Bruker MRI and a bunch of Zeiss microscopes?
In my situation, I joined CPS (as a stills photography amateur) justified by an ownership of a video production company. 
Canon's specific wording reads
A full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images.
Under this definition, any employee who creates images, moving or still, for an imaging business, which can justifiably be broadened to involve medical imaging equipment, should be allowed.  When filling out your profile on the website, it requires you to post your discipline, video or stills (both for me, as this company does both product and live and recorded shots).  Also, it asks you your role in the business: freelance, owner, or staff.  This, in my opinion, is significant because you do not necessarily need to take photos/videos if you are the owner; you just direct those who do. Additionally, staff can be loosely interpreted as well.

The next category, Neuro, is where things might get a little dicy for you.  It asks both for your primary and secondary specialization; obviously, you could put N/A and be okay, but you could also correctly put down people/children as your specializations.

All being said, the place where, in my opinion, you have the best argument for being allowed CPS membership is the next category, your primary industry/media, to which you could put healthcare.

All being said, you definitely have both the skills, talent, and equipment to call yourself a member of CPS; go do it.

It also really helps if you have a video camera or two; before last week, when I bought the 100mm macro (worth 8 points) and the 85L, I wouldn't have qualified without my video gear.  My video stuff, an XLH1S, an XHA1, and a bunch of small point value adapters/extendeers, gives me 24 points; before last week, I would've had 42 points, but with my video toys I had 66, enough for me to get my Platinum membership.  Now, even with 82 points, I have breathing room, but the video stuff really helps.  Either the gold or platinum memberships are fantastic, with the gifts, loaners, repair discounts, and free cleans paying for significantly more than your price of admission.

dswtan

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »
@bvukich
"In the US all you need are serial numbers, and a credit card."

Apparently at least no longer true. The site is a bit inconsistent as first here it says:

"Membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis." [plus the equipment points]

Ref: http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/silverMembership.shtml

And then when you go to sign up, the contract actually says:

"1. Membership is available only for those individuals, (a) that are self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business, that, as a full-time profession, are directly involved in the creation of images;"

Ref: Canon Professional Services Program Terms and Conditions - Revised October 20, 2011

The killer in the T&C would seem to be "as a full-time profession". It's ambiguous as to whether that applies to the "self-employed" as well as the "employee", but IANAL.  :-\

D.Sim

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

Not to mention ruling out half the population... >:(  or am I being too PC?

Said the same thing a few posts before yours. =P
Quote from: Meh
Nice catch neuro... maybe in their native language they have a single word that refers to both genders and just didn't get the translation politically correct.

No, we don't.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

A lot of pro photographers use various kinds of gear, as long as they have the number of points worth of Canon gear, it doesn't matter if they also use Nikon, Hasselblad, etc. 

Just don't send your other gear to CPS for repair!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »