October 21, 2014, 11:15:17 AM

Author Topic: Realistic projections on when a 7D II might hit the scene?  (Read 6410 times)

surfing_geek

Re: Realistic projections on when a 7D II might hit the scene?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »
I'd like to see a replacement sooner, but as it was a new line, there's no precedent set for its replacement. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it'll come along this year at some point as its about two and a half years old (ish) I think, having come out mid-2009. I just hope, against a lot of discussion on this site, that it remains at APS-C. I think that a change to FF would upset a lot of people!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
I love my 7D but I can definitely agree that 3200ISO and above produces a little too much graininess. On the other hand, some have suggested de-noising software, here's another one which I find to be *the* de-noising app. Noise Ninja from picturecode.com.
You can even download 7D optimized de-noising profiles for it. It works wonders.

As for the longevity, not to worry, you buy what you need, when you need. Otherwise you'll be holding out forever as there's always something new coming, sooner or later. And the 7D is _very_ capable.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
The 7D does rock, except for the IQ at high ISO, so I ended up getting rid of mine  :-*

I would like to think a 7DmkII would address this issue, but if it had a 1DX type sensor and much better IQ it'd probably eat into 1DX sales, so perhaps not a huge increase. Hope I am wrong though...

If it had a 1DX sensor, it wouldn't be a 7D mk II...
What is truth?

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
The 7D does rock, except for the IQ at high ISO, so I ended up getting rid of mine  :-*

I would like to think a 7DmkII would address this issue, but if it had a 1DX type sensor and much better IQ it'd probably eat into 1DX sales, so perhaps not a huge increase. Hope I am wrong though...

If it had a 1DX sensor, it wouldn't be a 7D mk II...

I never said a 1D X sensor...I said a 1D X type sensor. Read that as a next-generation Canon sensor that has low read noise and the ability to support higher native ISO settings. That in turn should mean that the current highest ISO settings that Canon can achieve on their current-generation sensors would produce less noise on a next-generation sensor, and therefor be more usable. Put another way...a sensor with native ISO up to 12800 or 25600, 1-2 stops higher than we have now, peaking with the same or less noise than current ISO 6400. I don't think thats unreasonable for Canon, given that they have fallen quite far behind the competition when it comes to noise at any ISO...from a competitive standpoint, all of their new cameras need to improve in that area to some degree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »