September 20, 2014, 08:34:04 PM

Author Topic: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]  (Read 27446 times)

BornNearDaBayou

Re: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
I can come up with a few of my own theories. I say the 5d III will be around 28MP, as the original rumors suggested. Remember there is SOMEONE out there shooting this prototype, and they have sent information along the way. I say AT LEAST 15 AF points, sticking with a similar diamond pattern, more cross-types, and spread over larger area.  ;D

And then you have new metering system, along with new Digic 5 processor. It would be swell if the 5d III also used a Digic 4 just for AF, making the body incorporate two processors. VERY highly unlikely. I know they need to make this body very competitive to keep up with Nikon. Besides, it is their biggest seller and most popular camera. I, for one, still love my 5D II even with its apparent limitations. And these are low-light levels (shadow details, etc.). I do not care about AF so much. 9 AF pts do me just fine.

My last theory is for the D800. No one really knows the MP count yet. I can promise you if it has 36 MP the ISO performance will SUCK!! Nikon is smarter than this. Besides, it would suck the life out of D3X--and even at $8,500 you better believe there is still a small market for this over-priced beast. Who would buy the D3X for way more money and way less MP? Anyone? I think the D800 will either be 16MP, or 18-21MP. This would leave the D3X as the MP king. Or, the D800 would inherit the sensor of the D3X and the D4X would be 36MP.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
I'd argue that nothing about the D700 or Nikon's past strategy would lead one to expect them to release a 36 MP FF camera.

Didn't NikonRumors claim to have an image from a D800 that was 36MP?  Sure, could have been faked.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/17/cropped-nikon-d800-samples-at-high-iso.aspx/

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

I'd argue that nothing about the D700 or Nikon's past strategy would lead one to expect them to release a 36 MP FF camera.

Clearly you are missing the point.  The D700 is a 12MP camera.  It perfectly goes to reason that the D800 would be a 36MP FF camera. 

Try and keep up Neuro... Shesh.  Don't you remember???  When the D300 was out the D500 was rumored to be the 16MP replacement.  So why is it so hard to see that the jump from D300 to D700 was... Oh wait... The D700 lost .2 MP...

Still... You are missing the point...  What indicates that the D800, will not be a 36MP camera, other than history.  Does it not go to reason that if the D4 is 16MP, the D800 will be 36MP.... try and keep up Neuro.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
It would be strange for the D800 to be such a high MP camera. That's what the D4x will be for. There certainly is a place for high MP'ers out there but that is not a void that will be filled by the D800.

From Nikon, we'll see a D4x and Canon might release a new line. Canon has said from the start "We're combining the 1D and 1Ds". But I don't think I ever really believed that. Combine one line if you like Canon but your just going to have to start another line to make up for it. The 1Dx is a little lopsided and more fills the role of 1D replacement than 1Ds replacement.

For a while I thought the 5D3 was going to be the MP monster but now I'm not so sure. It's coming though.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

Clearly you are missing the point.  The D700 is a 12MP camera.  It perfectly goes to reason that the D800 would be a 36MP FF camera. 

Try and keep up Neuro... Shesh.  Don't you remember???  When the D300 was out the D500 was rumored to be the 16MP replacement.  So why is it so hard to see that the jump from D300 to D700 was... Oh wait... The D700 lost .2 MP...

Still... You are missing the point...  What indicates that the D800, will not be a 36MP camera, other than history.  Does it not go to reason that if the D4 is 16MP, the D800 will be 36MP.... try and keep up Neuro.

HAHA +1  It's good to see someone has their sense of humor this morning... =)  Everything is just speculation until something is announced, and even then things can still change up til the release date.... Perhaps we should all cool our jets until we get something concrete... 

On the other hand I have credible info tomorrow's going to snow... lets debate about that haha 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Picsfor

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
and yet i asked just the question on the original CR1 thread about the 5D2 -
what if they released a 5D3 with 24-28mp, improved iso to 12800 working and H1 & H2 to 51k - with 9 full cross af points? Would any one buy it?

I'll add in that if they're keeping the mp rating around the low 20mp, it will have dual CF slots and improved weather sealing. These are minor things that can be added for relatively small cost - but huge marketing returns. If it also has built in gps - then you'll know it's a back packers camera and will have people jumping for their cheque books and credit cards. Those features, along with an improved AF will see many happy people rushing to pre-order.

I'm hoping to see one at Focus :-)

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »
I always thought Canon was leading edge company yet why do they wait until Nikon D800 announcement?  This is disappointing to me......
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
I always thought Canon was leading edge company yet why do they wait until Nikon D800 announcement?  This is disappointing to me......

It's kinda been Canon's mantra for the last few camera cycles with the exception of the 7D which made nikon run to catch up with the D300s
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »
what if they released a 5D3 with 24-28mp, improved iso to 12800 working and H1 & H2 to 51k - with 9 full cross af points? Would any one buy it?

I'll add in that if they're keeping the mp rating around the low 20mp, it will have dual CF slots and improved weather sealing. These are minor things that can be added for relatively small cost - but huge marketing returns. If it also has built in gps - then you'll know it's a back packers camera and will have people jumping for their cheque books and credit cards. Those features, along with an improved AF will see many happy people rushing to pre-order.

If the 9 points were a lot more spread out than the current model then yes I would buy it. I would prefer 19 or 25 with at least 9 crosses but I probably would only use the crosses anyway. I'd take a stop better noise performance also.

So 9 cross type sensors with better spread, stop better noise performance and I don't really care how many MPs it has and yeah, I'd buy it.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 10:47:33 AM »

Would I buy it?  hmmmm... perhaps... The key features I'm really looking for is at least all cross point AF sensors, levels, flash commander (popup flash or IR), and programmable mfn button.  If it has those features I would but it in a heartbeat... Gravy would be dual CF, 7d weathersealing, better ISO, cleaner video...  MP i'm not bothered in as long as it doesn't drop, it could remain the same for all I care.  AF would be nice to see an improvement, and at least add zones like the 7d like block of 4, 1+4 surrounding, etc...  It wouldn't be as functional as the 7d but it could make it more friendly and predictable than either 1 or all which it currently is at.  Plus if they integrate the lock on the mode dial as standard, that would be a big plus as well. 

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
I really hope Canon does not go high MP on this camera. This camera has typically been the great on the go shooter camera because it is lighter weight and less expensive price than the 1D series and has been embraced by the wedding/event shooters. We do not need 30MP...18-24 is MORE than enough. What we need is clean images at higher ISO. I hope canon treats this as the camera it is and keeps the quality features of the 1DX and looses the features that non studio photographers typically don't need/use like 61 Autofocus points, Ethernet out, 12fps shooting, 400,000 cycle shutter,  and that advanced of exposure metering to save $$$.

I'd love to see the same 18mp sensor as the 1DX and iso range minus some of the ports with 5-7fps, 21 point auto focus w/9 cross type and the center diagonal/cross type (like the 1DX has). I don't need the most advanced metering (not a studio camera) but I would like a headphone out instead of the Ethernet port. 1080P video is fine though 1080p @60fps would be awesome. They should be able to intro that in the $3000 range. 

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
Differentiation is the hardest thing for me to get my head around.

Each new model must differentiate itself from the previous model. Hence the 5DIII has to be better than the 5DII.

At the same time, each new model must differentiate itself from other new models. Hence the 5DIII must be inferior to the 1DX.

Complicating factor: the DSLR customer base has matured and is not likely to expand rapidly. That means, manufacturers have to lean more heavily on current owners to upgrade, rather than simply hope they can expand the base by attracting new buyers.

Finally, there is the convergence and advancement of technology. The clearly definable differences between the top of the line and the bottom on the line keep getting compressed. You need to make sure your $500 DSLR takes pretty great pictures, but somehow, it has to be about $6,000 less great than your top of the line model. And, you've got to slot a whole range of models in between those two, when the reality is that you simply don't have enough differences in features to go around.

So what is Canon to do?

They only have about nine things to play with:

Sensor Size
Sensor Resolution
ISO Speed
Dynamic Range
Autofocus
Frame Rate
Weathersealing
Bell and Whistles (GPS/Infrared Trigger/Radio Trigger etc.)
Video

For the 5DIII vs. the 1DX they can't play with sensor size, leaving only the other eight.

My guess:
Leave the resolution a little above the 1Dx, but not too much (21-24 mp);
Leave the ISO Speed a little below the 1Dx (might need to be two stops less in order to add sufficient differentiation);
Some improvement in dynamic range/image quality but this can be relatively subjective and, since the current model is already really good, improvements here aren't going to be a big return on investment;
Autofocus. This is the weakest feature of the 5DII. I think it's a no-brainer that this will get better. Maybe it will get the 7D autofocus;
Frame rate. Not likely to go up much. They need to keep this low to avoid cannibalizing 1Dx sales;
Weathersealing. Same as frame rate. Some improvement possible, but probably only minimal. May not see any change at all;
Bells and Whistles. Some things could be added here that aren't that important to 1Dx owners. At the least, it is likely to be compatible with the 1Dx add ons.
Video. This is the $64,000 question in my mind. I think Canon was caught completely off-guard by the incredible popularity of the 5DII for video. 1Dx buyers are not video buyers and never will be, so Canon has the most flexibility here. I would not be surprised to see a number of improvements designed to make the 5DIII more appealing for low-budget video. This is the only segment of the market that has the chance for significant growth, and they are dominating that market. They won't want to give it up.

That's my two cents worth.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Canon-F1

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
one thing that always makes me laugh are people who write they will switch brands when company "XY" does not include feature "ZX" into a new product.

nobody will notice it in the end results and you immediately notice these people are more gearheads then photographer.

and really who cares if joe from utah decides to switch to nikon because he thinks he needs 36 MP to make good pictures?  NOBODY!   8)

i am with neuro.... i donĀ“t think the 36 MP for the nikon are written in stone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

Peerke

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
So what is Canon to do?

Just release an updated 5d and let people decide wether to buy and enjoy it or not.

If Canon would make the camera wished for by the gearheads, it will take only one day to make the gearheads comlain again.

I have a 40D and a 7D. The 7D because my wife started to like photography too and I liked the crop factor because sometimes I like to shoot small birds. I have my 10-22 for landscapes if I want and don't print large or sell copies of my pictures. I'm happy with what both camera's offer to me at this moment. Just a happy amature. :D
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

DavidD

Another vote for NO "AA" filter. Re: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
I like the rumors of a D800 without AA filter, I want a 5D3 without AA filter.

I'll second the motion to get a 5D3 without an AA filter.

I'm not happy that we all have intentional blurriness
in our RAW images caused by AA filters.

Professional RAW software can now eliminate the moire that
an Anti-Alias Filter is supposed to reduce. (and Desktop
computers have a lot more computing power than a camera)

And Yes, I do hope the 5d3 has at least 32 mp.

If it adds 2 or more stops in Dynamic range,
I'll buy it even if it only has 28 megapixels.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:30:11 PM by DavidD »

canon rumors FORUM

Another vote for NO "AA" filter. Re: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »