October 23, 2014, 04:59:38 PM

Author Topic: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]  (Read 27875 times)

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »
The talk about the 5DIII keeping the MP the same is fantastic. That means there's an even greater chance that their upsell over the 5DII is going to be AF and weather sealing. One can only hope. GPS built into the body would be nice, but fat chance of that I reckon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:55:01 AM »
It's hard to believe Canon will release a 5d mark III with only small improvements, unless there's another body is waiting to be released, such as "3d". Canon did this before, they could put all the new features into the 60D, but they chose to release a new model, the 7D

Doodah

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
That has little to do with the MP count. They could go to 8MP and still have ugly deep low ISO shadows if they can't fix up their ADC readout system.

Canon better pull off some DRAMATIC improvements in dynamic range and high ISO performance if they plan to stay with 21 MP. It'll be quite a blow if the 36 MP D800 has better performance. I expect the D800 to achieve at least 14 eV dynamic range (on DXOMark test) going by what the D3X/D7000 can do currently. I can't imaging how the 1DX/5D3 is going to top that.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
I can't see the point of a 21MP sensor; it's not that different in resolution to the 18MP sensor fitted in the 1D X, but would mean that Canon would incur all the extra costs developing a new sensor and fabrication facility.  Surely it would be more cost effective to stick to a single sensor unless there are big resolution (and hence marketing) advantages?

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:25 AM »
The more we get info on the new 5D mkIII the more I get puzzled as to how this new model will represent significant improvant over the current mkII or even compete with a D800.  I guess we will need to see the full spec list, but if sensor size is about the same, AF is about the same, why change?  Is the processor capable to deliver significant improvement using fairly the same hardware as mkII?

Quite an enigma the 5DmkIII is!   ???
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Maui5150

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
I am fine with what Canon is doing.

There are clearly two paths... There is high ISO performance / more studio / low light  - This is the 5DmkX line and FF

There is then a speedier FPS, better suited to moving objects Crop body - which is the 7DMKx line

And if you want both?  Go the 1DMKx line.

Not coincidentally the price of a 5DMK III and a 7D MKII combined will be close to... yes... Yes... You got it... The 1DMKX line.

The more I read these threads, the 7D folks want better IQ and the 5D folks want better fps / AF... The amalgamation of both really is a baby 1DMKX, but they pretty much want almost all the features and performance at half the price.

As a 5D MK II owner I would like a little more AF performance and spread, but over all it is fairly solid.  If I spent more time shooting action, I would probably have gone more the 7D route, and potentially in the future, will try and pick up a 7D body used for around $1K.  I have been very very tempted to sell off my T2i, batteries, grip, and the like for just such a move, but don't want to be caught with out a spare body at the moment. 

I do see Canon introducing a Baby 1DX, maybe the rumored 3D... I believe this will be higher MP, with less FPS and less A/F / ISO than the 1DX line and expect it to be $4k - $4.5K

So I expect the 7D MK II to be a $2K body, a little better IQ, same A/F maybe a little more ISO and some faster FPS but still a 18 MP body.

I expect the 5D MK III to be under 25 MP, still in the 21 - 22 MP range, same A/F points, but all cross points and a bit wider spread, a step up in ISO and around the same FPS.  I don't expect the 5D MK II to be a sports camera and this body to be the entry FF and $3K to $3.2K

I expect the 3D line to be 30 MP, High ISO, little lesser A/F than the 1Dx, lesser FPS, and $4K - $4.5K so the differentiation between the 1Dx line will be the 3D has higher MP, but the 1Dx remains the king in ISO, A/F, and FPS. 

1Dx is the all around top
3D line is a little cheaper, little lesser, but still all around
5D line aimed at studio / FF
7D line aimed at sports / crop

1Dx line is aimed at top pros
3D line is aimed at best of both worlds for the next level (i.e. those who currently carry both a 5DMKII and 7D) and the the 5D and 7D lines are for those one a budget who do more of one style shooting than the other. 

Really makes sense to me

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
It's likely they can promise a 2-stop improvement in ISO noise (jpg, of course) just based on gapless microlenses and Digic5.  They'll have to do more than that, I think.  My contention is that they will offer improvements, but still maintain differentiation from the 1D X (better than they did with 5DII/1DsIII).  So, if it's a 21-24 MP camera, they can bump the AF up a bit (a bit under the 7D), and they'll keep the frame rate low. If it's 30+ MP, less of an AF bump (or none) and an even lower frame rate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

alipaulphotography

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
So many people say that the only thing they have a gripe with about their 5d MKII is the autofocus.

I'm pretty sure that will get a fix and then hopefully everyone will be happy. I'd be happy with just 9 sensitive cross types.

Any other improvements would be a bonus.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
I can't see the point of a 21MP sensor; it's not that different in resolution to the 18MP sensor fitted in the 1D X, but would mean that Canon would incur all the extra costs developing a new sensor and fabrication facility.  Surely it would be more cost effective to stick to a single sensor unless there are big resolution (and hence marketing) advantages?

exactly

that's why I'd expect the 5D3 to either have more Mpix (at least 24mpix), or stay at 18mpix and share the sensor from the 1DX... which would be absolutely perfect for me: put that sensor in a 5D2-like body, with just about slightly improved AF and fps, and you should have an overly impressive camera, one which is a huge improvement over the previous model... except at what spec checkers will concentrate on: pixel count, AF point count, and fps

edit: oh, and BTW, for a 4K, a low-pixel-count sensor is what makes most sense; 4K is just about 8mpix, 11mpix if you want to stick to 3:2 sensor aspect ratio
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:05:22 AM by NormanBates »

BlueMixWhite

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
The situation is current everyone is dead sure the D800 is a combination of 5D and 7D series. This time Nikon is coming back with a strong video capabilities, thus everyone is talking about jumping.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

BlueMixWhite

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

Maui5150

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

Exactly.  I also have not seen a price tag quoted on it either.  I am all for letting it:

- Be announced
- Be released
- Actually SEEING the performance. 

- Specs and delivery can be two different things... Compare the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 versus the Canon model. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

pen43

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
I like the rumors of a D800 without AA filter, I want to 5D3 without AA filter.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

I'd argue that nothing about the D700 or Nikon's past strategy would lead one to expect them to release a 36 MP FF camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »