October 01, 2014, 11:22:09 AM

Author Topic: EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II strange IS noise - does the lens need to be repaired?  (Read 10073 times)

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
My 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II is making loud (relatively) noises when the IS kicks on and off. Sometimes, it's the same loudness, and other times it makes a really good ratcheting sound. Otherwise, the lens (and IS) operates just fine.

A small mp3 of the sound (it's several cycles of me hitting the shutter release halfway, then releasing): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35535541/70-200mmISUSM2.mp3

I'm assuming this is abnormal, since it's a louder IS on/off sound than any other IS lens I've heard, but I have no other 70-200mm lens to compare it to. I'm wanting to make sure Canon doesn't think I'm being too picky if I send it in for warranty repair.

And any pointers if/when I send it to Canon?

Thanks for your time!
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

canon rumors FORUM

lunar

i didn't check your sound file, but:

is your lens new? the motor and the lubricants might need to break in, possibly just friction sound (if smooth) during rotation?

however if you hear any mechanical sound: clicks, scratches, it shouldn't happen, i would check it out.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
The IS on my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is among the louder of my lenses in terms of start-stop sounds. Much louder that my 17-55/2.8 or 24-105/4, similar to my 100-400L.  During operation, it's pretty quiet - similar to the 24-105 and 17-55, a little quieter than the 100-400.  I had a 300/4L for a while - that lens makes an actual 'cluck' at start/stop, and operation is a low growl.

Can't really judge volume on the recording you posted, but qualitatively it sounds similar to mine.

However, mine is always the same. I'd be concerned if yours is louder or more 'rachety' sometimes. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ramonjsantiago

Mine is quite silent. And I love the IQ on this lens. It is jewel, truly worthy of an L designation. On the other hand, it would be a real improvement if it weighed half as much.

lukaszb

After listening to the recording I think there might be something wrong with the lens.  You may want to send it back to Canon.  I have the same lens and it is very quiet.

UpbeatCynic

I own the lens and it sounds identical to yours.  Sometimes it runs silently, other times it'll "chirp" as the IS kicks in.  I did some research and found others with the same situation; as far as they could tell, the lens was performing perfectly and it was not a fault (even after sending it back to Canon). 

On my copy, the "chirping" occurs usually when the lens is pointed towards the ground, or at an angle less than 90 degrees from horizontal.  It was a brand new lens, straight out of the box...I was initially concerned but it seems to be a normal occurrence.

martinelliminimo

I get that sound every once in a while too.  Someone reported that after they used a battery grip to supply more power, the sound went away.  I will test it soon and tell you.  Mine is also brand new.

canon rumors FORUM

cezargalang

I've experienced this too, but it only happened for a while and it was due to Low light. After a while it went away. Does it do that on good light?

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Don't mean to sound crude, but it sounds like the lens is farting...
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
My 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II is making loud (relatively) noises when the IS kicks on and off. Sometimes, it's the same loudness, and other times it makes a really good ratcheting sound. Otherwise, the lens (and IS) operates just fine.

A small mp3 of the sound (it's several cycles of me hitting the shutter release halfway, then releasing): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35535541/70-200mmISUSM2.mp3

I'm assuming this is abnormal, since it's a louder IS on/off sound than any other IS lens I've heard, but I have no other 70-200mm lens to compare it to. I'm wanting to make sure Canon doesn't think I'm being too picky if I send it in for warranty repair.

And any pointers if/when I send it to Canon?

Thanks for your time!

My 70-200 f2.8 IS II is SUPER quiet(compared to another similar lens at local Samy's Camera) ...but I do have similar IS sound issue on my 24-105 lens. I took 24-105 lens down to Canon service center in Irvine, CA. They looked and tested the lens, the result I got from them is normal. The noise is still there, so I just shutoff the IS when not needed.

If your lens still under wanrranty, I think you should have Canon looks at it.

Good luck,
Dylan
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the replies. To answer a few questions:

I've had the lens for 10 months right now (so I'm trying to send it in under warranty, if possible). I don't recall it always making this sound, however. As I said, there's a slightly louder variant of this sound, too, which worries me more. It's definitely louder than my 24-105 f/4L.

And it doesn't seem connected to the amount of light - I've had it make that sound in many situations (as I can recall).

As for the relative volume of the clip, you can hear the plasticy click of my pressing and releasing the shutter button, and in the first sequence, the AF motor runs.

Thanks all for your responses!
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
As most people have said it's pretty normal. Mine does the same thing when it starts and stops. On occasion it seems to be a little louder than normal but it's rare. When I got mine I thought there was something wrong with it too but a little Google research and I found the clunk to be normal for that lens.

Always be sure you hear the second clunk and the IS is off before you turn the camera off too.

And no, it has nothing to do with the light. IS doesn't know, or care, if you are in a low light situation.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
Aye, mine does the same thing but only some times. Like a grinding sound..

canon rumors FORUM

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I don't think there's anything wrong. Sometimes I can hear it a bit if it's quiet- but in the environments I've used it in, no problems.

Now, the f/4 version of the 70-200 when I had it- THAT was loud. A very audible grinding noise whenever the IS kicked in. But that was normal- it's just a loud mechanism, that's all.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
so did you got it fixed? Mine started doing the same now... and didn't to any noise ever for about 11 months...
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

canon rumors FORUM