September 26, 2017, 03:23:49 AM

Author Topic: Never delete images 'in camera'  (Read 16963 times)

gonzalo

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: Never delete images 'in camera'
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 05:17:43 AM »
Is this true?

I just hate when people give incomplete advice.  Your friend was completely correct, but he forgot to tell you that advice only applies on Tuesdays when there's a new moon and you're standing outside on your left foot, facing due northwest at exactly 1:03am.  Any other time, you'll be fine.

JAJAJAJAJAJ, Great ¡¡¡

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 05:17:43 AM »

japhoto

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:25 AM »
I always assumed that it was best to format the card in-camera so that it is formatted to the camera's specs. I see some advising formatting on the computer. Kind of a moot point for me, frankly, since I don't even have a card reader, but, is there any difference?

There can be a difference between the two methods, via computer being more "thorough" format.

As crazy as this sounds, I had a problem with my old Olympus gear that got solved only when I formatted the card with a card reader. Hold the pitchforks on why I used Olympus.

I started out with the E-520 and had two 8Gb CF-cards to go with it. When I upgraded to the E-3, I did what probably most of us would do. I popped one of the cards in, formatted it in-camera and tested that it functioned right. The problem didn't show itself every time and it made me think that the body itself was faulty. It would work just as normal for a few shots and then it would freeze, mirror locked up and shut itself down. Battery had to be taken out to clear the camera and in a while it would do it again.

There was some talk on Oly forums about similar issues and the CF-card was thought to be one possibility for these problems. I formatted both my cards in the card reader (quick format didn't help either) and never had that problem again. And that's two years of carefree operation after that.

So yes, I think there's a difference between formatting in-camera or with a computer. To be on the safe side I usually format my cards in the computer from time to time and when I put them back in the camera I format them again in-camera. I also did this when I moved to Canon (since I still use the cards) and had 0 problems with this transition.

Ellen Schmidtee

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »
I'm no expert, but as far as I know ...

Memory cards are optimized for sequential writing. After a format, the camera can write sequentially from start to end. When files are deleted, 'bubbles' of free space are created. When the camera records to those areas, it may be forced to write non-sequentially once the bubble is filled, taking a performance hit.

In SD cards, this is part of what makes the difference between the X rating and the class rating.

I've deleted files on Canon cameras (powershot A460, EOS 450D, EOS 600D, and an EOS 5D mark 2) for at least three years, and I've never CPU problems or card corruptions. The only time I had photos corrupted was due to a card reader which had intermittent problem - copying the file a 2nd time got an image with correct contents, proving the image on the card was not corrupted.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
I always assumed that it was best to format the card in-camera so that it is formatted to the camera's specs. I see some advising formatting on the computer. Kind of a moot point for me, frankly, since I don't even have a card reader, but, is there any difference?

There can be a difference between the two methods, via computer being more "thorough" format.

exactly... I've heard people who say when you get drives for the first time, such as a backup hard drive, flash card, etc... that you should first format it in computer in case it has some manufacturer software/backup/whatever... but after that, in camera formatting on occasion (after transferring all the pictures you want onto your computer) should be fine.  In camera formatting is nice because it sets up the card the way the camera wants it, but then again, formatting in computer, once plugged back into the camera and you start taking pics, the camera automatically sets up the card anyways... Also consider the in camera formatting, on average, takes a matter of seconds... maybe 20-30 seconds if you have one of the bigger/slower cards on the market... whereas the computer can take hours, so it could say how thorough and destructive it is to old files.  I'm admittedly not as computer geeky to be able to explain why, but it is what it is. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

bycostello

• EOS 5DS R
    • London Weddings
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I was told never to do it just in case you mistakenly do something stupid like delete wrong image or really crazy like format your card...

Maui5150

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
I delete a ton of images "in camera" especially when I am starting a shoot and dialing my my light set-up.  If you know the image is junk, why keep it.

I think you are far more likely to "miss a moment" by having a full card than you are deleting an image you wanted.

iaind

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Is this true?

I just hate when people give incomplete advice.  Your friend was completely correct, but he forgot to tell you that advice only applies on Tuesdays when there's a new moon and you're standing outside on your left foot, facing due northwest at exactly 1:03am.  Any other time, you'll be fine.

JAJAJAJAJAJ, Great ¡¡¡

If you are standing under a waterfall and attempting to change lenses simultaneously the camera may fail.
Deleting the image is to blame not water ingress.  ;) ;) ;) 
1DXII / 1DIV / 5DSR / 5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 7DII + BGE16 / 8-15 4L /11-24 F4L / 16-35 4L IS / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /50 1.8STM/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L IS II/180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L II/ 600 4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »