April 28, 2015, 03:53:36 PM

Author Topic: Moonset  (Read 1817 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Moonset
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
Wow we really do have the pitchforks and knives out don't we,

We're just savoring the irony of someone who decries and lambastes the 'poor IQ' of Canon sensors at every opportunity, but can't be bothered cleaning off the dust from his own sensor or even simply correcting the spots in post.  Someone who in the past has stressed the importance of 'maximum IQ' but tolerates easily correctable artifacts in his images. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
Wow we really do have the pitchforks and knives out don't we,

We're just savoring the irony of someone who decries and lambastes the 'poor IQ' of Canon sensors at every opportunity, but can't be bothered cleaning off the dust from his own sensor or even simply correcting the spots in post.  Someone who in the past has stressed the importance of 'maximum IQ' but tolerates easily correctable artifacts in his images.

I'm really not fussed whether an image put on CR has observable dust spots or not. In other places yes, here, no.

And lets face it, dust is nasty. You can go from having none to some in a single lens change - especially when you're "in the field." Then it can move around, etc, during a shoot due to air movement from the mirror.

K-amps

• 1D X
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
Nice Shot Dilbert. I also wished you had a little gap between the mountain and the moon, but still, its a great capture.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
∑ 12-24mm; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

martti

• Canon 6D
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:55 AM »
Nice timing, good shooting! Congrats!
On this island the moon sets always in a cloud on the sea.
Since we are only 21 degrees off the equator, both the Sun and the Moon appear and vanish very fast, neary vertically. If you want a certain foreground, you have to use Google maps to figure out hot to get it in the picture. There is also an app for Android and iOS http://photoephemeris.com/
that helps you to figure out the heavenly bodies' positions for your shot.
The temptation to copy and paste a moon from another shot sometimes becomes irresistible...I only had the 35mm and the poor Moon looks so small!
Also, if you stop down you get the moonbursts and if you don't you get no DOF.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:49:31 AM by martti »
"Don't wake up, it's just me"

martti

• Canon 6D
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »
To get this shot, I purposefully drove to the eastern shore (with two teenagers and a cake) and took 24mm shots of the tree roots at f/16 and 200mm  f/4 pictures of the moon and sandwiched and masked them together in Photoshop. The cake was full of ants.
I got yelled at a lot. But I sort of like the picture...though this was the rising full Moon.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:32:51 AM by martti »
"Don't wake up, it's just me"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »