September 20, 2014, 01:58:58 AM

Author Topic: Post Your Best Landscapes  (Read 353589 times)

Frankie T Fotografia

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
Re: Post Your Best Landscapes
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »
I took these hours after Hurricane Irene passed by New York.
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »

inter211

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Willie Huang Photography
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »
Here's a shot of the Milky Way rising over Indian Rock Arch in Yosemite National Park that I snapped this past weekend:

Peering into Time [Explored] by inter211, on Flickr

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Here's a shot of the Milky Way rising over Indian Rock Arch in Yosemite National Park that I snapped this past weekend
wow; so you were wide open for 30sec at iso 3200 . . . what post-processing went in, that's freaking awesome
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
Pacaya

inter211

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Willie Huang Photography
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
Here's a shot of the Milky Way rising over Indian Rock Arch in Yosemite National Park that I snapped this past weekend
wow; so you were wide open for 30sec at iso 3200 . . . what post-processing went in, that's freaking awesome

Only minimal post-processing...mainly some noise reduction and sharpening. This shot is mostly as-is straight from camera. It was shot at f/1.4 to capture enough light before star trailing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »

DanD

« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
heres a couple of landscape i did, more to see on my Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/eldano/

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Only minimal post-processing...mainly some noise reduction and sharpening. This shot is mostly as-is straight from camera. It was shot at f/1.4 to capture enough light before star trailing.
I always have to ask, just like my wife always feels the need to touch flowers to see if they're real :)

The 'creative director' who works with my wife that is usually amazed at what my wife brings to work (my stuff) but I have watched him first hand churn out amazing images from absolute crap in photoshop.

It's great to see an image like yours that actually came from a camera and not someone's imagination.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

oliveira

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:07:55 AM by oliveira »

oliveira

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2011, 12:04:57 AM »

infilm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2011, 01:34:54 AM »
Perhaps its a hold over from my film days, but doesn't anyone just shoot a great photo without a bunch of photoshop or HDR. Please don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate the talent of you who know the intricacies of Photoshop and Silver EFX Pro and the like. But what happened to the simplicity of composing a great image and exposing it correctly?
Canon 7D gripped - 5D2 gripped - 16-35 f2.8l - 24-70 f2.8l - 70-200 f.2.8 IS l - 35 f1.4l - 50 f1.2l - 85 f1.2 l - 135 f2 l - 300 f4 l Tokina 10-17 Fisheye - 580EX II - And not much drive space left on my computer...

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
Perhaps its a hold over from my film days, but doesn't anyone just shoot a great photo without a bunch of photoshop or HDR. Please don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate the talent of you who know the intricacies of Photoshop and Silver EFX Pro and the like. But what happened to the simplicity of composing a great image and exposing it correctly?

Here are a couple shots, straight out of camera (not landscape, sorry).  Sometimes, but usually all too rarely, the light is perfect for work straight out of the camera.  Most of the time, this is with low contrast light on cloudy days.

SOOC by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

Clara by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

In most cases, the light is not terribly conclusive to optimal output straight out of the camera.  Digital sensors have a nasty habit of blowing out highlights instead of a smooth transition to white like film.  Most films were more forgiving in terms of exposure, and depending on what result one wanted, you could select a film with curves/contrast pattern/grain structure that most closely resembles the final desired output.  Most professionals who did their own darkroom work often burned or dodged sections of their photos as required.  Likewise, taking a roll of film to a lab also involved processing, much of which was sub-ideal, but processing none the less.

What I'm getting at is that processing has been around for a long, long time; it is not a new phenomenon.  The techniques of processing have just become more accessible and easier to use.  Admittedly, post processing is often abused, but I don't think that should tarnish the overall practicality of its use.

Silver EFX Pro is fantastic.  If DSLRs had customizable firmware where one could input a certain film grain and rendering pattern, that would be very nice (depends on how well implemented and how long it would slow down camera operation).  DLSRs simply do an awful job replicating the old film grain styles and rendering.  If one has to use software to get the equivalent, so be it.  I really would rather not drag a medium format camera around everywhere with a half dozen film types and have to switch off from one shot to the next, depending on what I wanted.  Silver EFX Pro is a incredible time saver.  I can take point-n-shoot shots and make them look like lovely medium/large format shots (not ideal, but the only camera I had at the time was a point-n-shoot).

Mt. Oberlin and Bird Woman Falls [explore 08/29/11] by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

reflections by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

into the storm by posthumus_cake (www.pinnaclephotography.net), on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »