October 01, 2014, 09:15:09 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Large Back Illuminated Sensor  (Read 19052 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: Large Back Illuminated Sensor
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Im not smart. Whats the difference if we had such a sensor technology already used today? Please tell me in easy to understand words.

Sensors have pixels. (well, photosites, but pixels is easier to type).
Pixels are little squares on a piece of silicon.
Between these pixels are little wires so all the colours can come off the chip.
So pixels don't take up the entire size of the chip.
But in 'backside' illumination, pixels take up the entire one side of the chip.
The wiring is on the other side of the chip.
So, no wiring between pixels means more space for pixels, means bigger pixels.
Bigger pixels means more DR at low-ISO, and less noise at higher-ISO (with everything else the same, in Sony' Exmore's case it's not the same, they're also much better because other bits of the circuit are also better, and why Sonikon have way better DR at low ISO than canon).

And yes, it's only in P&S for now, the smaller the sensor the more difference this technology makes. But it will make *some* difference at FF, and it's the way of the future (just don't hold your breath).
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
Getting higher iso sensors at this point in a mature sensor industry requires innovation.  I would expect to see backlit large sensors at some point in the future to get that additional 1/2 stop of sensitivity.

I am wondering if this is starting to give some pointers as to what we will see in Canon's next crop of APS-C sensors.  I have a funny feeling we may see new technology from Canon in APS-C before it hits full frame - this would mainly be a commercial measure to keep to more cost effective (i.e. cheaper technology) for full frame, and then mature the newer tech in the lower end (APS-C).

regarding another poster's comment - I don't see Canon using different sensor technology in APS-C DSLRs and EOS-M - they will probably use the same sensors, with DSLRs using in-sensor phase detection AF during live view.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
More DR and less noise sounds nice, thanks for explaining it to me. Would it be a big difference? 1/2 stop sensitivity sounds not much to me. Will i even notice it in my photos ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »