August 01, 2014, 04:40:10 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 68812 times)

tt

Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
Does Canon do take down notices?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »

Masterwana

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »

I believe this is a Canon employee being shot by another Canon employee (with a 5D mk III as well) for a controlled leak to hype up the camera.   Why would Canon charter a safari outing with the public when they could just easily go on private outing?

The original post and the images seem to be coming from  Stephen W. Oachs (http://www.stephenoachs.com)

Oh well...

http://blog.apertureacademy.com/2012/01/canon-200-400mm-and-600mm-prototype.html

The exif says 1Ds MkIII with 100-400mm  ;)

Blackout

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Can someone explain why the EXIF of the image of the prototype camera matters?  Is it a magic prototype camera that can take pictures of itself from odd angles?  Do we think the purported Canon employee had a second prototype camera and handed it to a stranger to take a picture of the first prototype camera to post on the Internet?

Oh man you made my day.

willhuff.net

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
When I'm using 2 cameras, the camera on my left shoulder will frequently have the mode dial change. Since what I'm shooting are usually fleeting moments, having the mode dial change usually ruins the shot. For the sake of professionals who need to get the shot, I hope they add the dial locks.

It's funny, I took a 7D on safari along with the two 1Ds bodies. And half the time I would reach for the 7D I would try and take a shot and curse that the mode dial had changed in the vehicle. 1Ds has buttons. Rarely a problem with landscape, but definitely with nature I would have welcomed a lock function. Horses for courses....

Not necessarily... A few years ago I was in england on vacation and just got the 50D (long gone now)... I was taking some pictures around some castles... and as I was walking, the camera bumping against my side, the f#*&# mode dial switched, I wasn't checking the dial, stupidly assuming it was the same that I left it as... Long story short, I DID notice my images were awful, not happy, didn't know what was wrong, thought my card was screwing up... tried this, tried that, in a panic, formatted the card, still no avail... lost all my pictures up till then.. I eventually figured it out... But i've been bitter with that F#*#(*@ mode dial ever since with my 7D and 5d2... I couldn't have been happier when canon introduced the lock... I do a lot of traveling, walking with my cameras and the dial does get bumped and if you dont train yourself to look at the dial every now and then, you can get quite different results than your expecting...
Huh.  You learn something new everyday.  I really never thought it was a problem.  Thanks for the education, guys.  +1 to each of you for the new perspective.

I'm still choosing to have it removed, though.  :P

Can someone explain why the EXIF of the image of the prototype camera matters?  Is it a magic prototype camera that can take pictures of itself from odd angles?  Do we think the purported Canon employee had a second prototype camera and handed it to a stranger to take a picture of the first prototype camera to post on the Internet?
I was wondering the same thing myself...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
I believe this is a Canon employee being shot by another Canon employee (with a 5D mk III as well) for a controlled leak to hype up the camera.   Why would Canon charter a safari outing with the public when they could just easily go on private outing?

I didn't know that Stephen Oachs was a Canon employee.  Perhaps he just blogged about the new camera as a favor to Canon, in exchange for being declared PNG for any future testing?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

waving_odd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »
Another observation I haven't seen noted in this thread:

In this image (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2mLjiVCsv3k/Tx2ZBBH9XxI/AAAAAAAAAFo/Q6ywYBm_DUM/s1600/_B3J8582.jpg), the remaining frame count appears to have moved, and it appears to me that it reads (1577). From what I know, the 5D II tops out at 999, with the frame count in another location. And the image's top LCD seems very different from what I'm used to.

Am I crazy? (Well, probably, yes, but oh, well).

FYI

Look closer to the top LCD...  it's so different to 5D II and 7D...

1. His...

2. 5D2...

3. 7D...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:49:23 PM by waving_odd »

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »

Oh man you made my day.

and mine!  ;D
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
I won't bother posting my crop of the top LCD :P. It looks to me like the focus mode is in the rectangle to the top right or at least that looks like the single shot focus symbol. I can't read the text right at the top of the LCD though.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »

Oh man you made my day.

and mine!  ;D

And mine ! :-D
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Otter

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »
SOMETHING looks fishy.  If you look at this site : http://blog.apertureacademy.com/2012/01/canon-200-400mm-and-600mm-prototype.html  you will see there are 6 pictures of this fellow shooting with the mystery camera.  IN THE THIRD PICTURE from the top there is NO TAPE over the canon logo at the bottom of the screen on the back, yet every other picture has the tape on which leads me to believe that someone has done something to the photograph(s) as I don't think the tape fell off for one only one of the pictures.

My bet is that it's not a 7D II. I can't see a 7D II without a pop up flash for wireless function.

If you notice there is also a piece of black tape over the bottom of the screen to cover the model I would guess. But looking at my 7D it only says "Canon" there. Do some other Canon's have the Model below the screen? I know Nikon's do.

I took a screen grab of the back LCD panel and lightened it up. I thought it would reveal something interesting. I don't really think it does. It kinda looks like the head of a bird but it's not oriented in portrait.
Not that interesting but I attached it anyway. (Maybe PS would be better. All I have at work is Picasa)

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
The 5DIII is coming, woohoo!!!

Finally a real leak on this forum.

The 5DIII and 7DII will be sister cameras, as Canon has always intended.
My guess is 24mp/6fps on the 5DIII and 18mp/8fps on the 7DII.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
otter, I see what you're saying, but it very well could have fallen off.  it's odd that that's taped at all when it looks like the canon logo on the viewfinder bulge is actually uncovered (you can kind of see the top edge of the white letters even though it's facing away at 90 degrees).

ferdi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
I can't read the text right at the top of the LCD though.

It says "ONE SHOT".

SOMETHING looks fishy.  If you look at this site : http://blog.apertureacademy.com/2012/01/canon-200-400mm-and-600mm-prototype.html  you will see there are 6 pictures of this fellow shooting with the mystery camera.  IN THE THIRD PICTURE from the top there is NO TAPE over the canon logo at the bottom of the screen on the back, yet every other picture has the tape on which leads me to believe that someone has done something to the photograph(s) as I don't think the tape fell off for one only one of the pictures.

Pictures 1, 2 and 3 are obviously the 1D X. It's the body mounted to the 600mm we want to know more about.
1D IV, 5D III, 5D II, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200L IS II, 300L IS, Σ 50, Σ 85, 1.4x III, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »

My bet is that it's not a 7D II. I can't see a 7D II without a pop up flash for wireless function.

If you notice there is also a piece of black tape over the bottom of the screen to cover the model I would guess. But looking at my 7D it only says "Canon" there. Do some other Canon's have the Model below the screen? I know Nikon's do.

I took a screen grab of the back LCD panel and lightened it up. I thought it would reveal something interesting. I don't really think it does. It kinda looks like the head of a bird but it's not oriented in portrait.
Not that interesting but I attached it anyway. (Maybe PS would be better. All I have at work is Picasa)

The third picture from the top is just a 1Dx. No secret, no tape.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

photalian

« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »
Now we just need some video reviews... come on Canon, start hyping it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »