November 20, 2017, 09:46:20 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 129551 times)

sjaudio

Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »
Looks like fake...  :D

You do realize that you are looking at two different cameras, do you not?  The mystery camera and a 1DX.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
[Why do so many of you think it's a 5D III? I understand you want it to be, but... It just doesn't look similar at all, compared to the 7D...

the 7D MK2 will have a pop up flash.. i bet my 300mm F2.8 .....

DzPhotography

• EOS 80D
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
That's two different cameras in the two shots, that's why they look different.
peeps need to open their eyes before posting  >:(
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

waving_odd

• EOS M5
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
Oh dear god, no.  Not that stupid mode dial unlock button.  To me, that's one of the most useless additions that Canon can put on a semi-pro body.  I can see the reason for putting it on the 60D, but come on.  Anyone using a 7D or higher should have some idea of what they're doing and in all my years of photography I've never heard of anyone accidentally switching the mode dial unintentionally.  If the new 5D is in fact coming standard with the unlock button, I hope that one can "downgrade" and remove it.  Even for a fee, I'd do it.

Shooting weddings I commonly carry two cameras.  As the camera bumps up against my side it changes mode constantly (both 5DII and 50D).  Drives me crazy when I go to get a quick shot and I realize it went from Av to Manual and exposure is way off.  Seems like a minor incovienience for those who dislike it relative to the huge benefit for those find it almost necessary.  I dont find it my lack of ability that is an issue, but more an ergonomic fault from Canon.

@Chicorob: You're bang on!  Even when I'm grabbing my 5D II while putting down the 7D on my Spider Holster, my palm will sometimes accidentally roll the dial.  I was almost sending my cameras to add the dial lock when Canon announced they can do it at a cost.

@Ryusui: I guess Canon does many things corresponding to what their selected protogs request.  There must be some good numbers of them are wedding photogs who had that experience.

K-amps

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
[Why do so many of you think it's a 5D III? I understand you want it to be, but... It just doesn't look similar at all, compared to the 7D...

Also the 5d3 can take newer design cues from the 7d, that does not make it a 7d necessarily.  I hope it's a 5d3 !
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:43:57 PM by K-amps »
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

Canon-F1

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »
You do realize that you are looking at two different cameras, do you not? 

i don´t think they notice.. i wonder how some here can be photographer with such bad eyesight....  ::)

andreasaberg73

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

You do realize that you are looking at two different cameras, do you not?  The mystery camera and a 1DX.

AHA! OK! I missed that part! Better check to article again! Maybe there is some hope anyway???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

robt

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Out of left field here guys. Theory----> The camera is a video oriented "C" version of (what) 3D... 4D...?  As  somebody here already mentioned.   Why the wider LCD?  and as for the duct tape covering Canon.  It might just say more than Canon. WItH would somebody bother to cover up just "Canon" when the guy freely admits to working for Canon.

As much as I drool over the anticipation of the 5DM3, I have a slight hesitation... for a FF 22-24MP mirror-less Canon that will accept all my current lenses.  Will I get +50K clicks on a M3 before Canon brings that out?
Oh, heavy sigh.
robt

tt

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
In favor of the 7D comparison:
- On/off button placement is identical to the 7D, different from 5D.
- M-fn button on top identical placement on 7D, absent on the 5D II.
- Same lock button as 7D, different from 5D.
- Same layout text of the left side buttons on the back as 7D (different from 5D, where the text is next to the buttons)
- Two buttons left of viewfinder, as with 7D, only one for 5D
- Thumb ridge on the right of the back shaped same as 7D, different from 5D
- Start/stop button same as on 7D, absent on 5D
- Same placing "Canon" text on body bottom as 7D, different from 5D (scratched out in prototype model)
- Small white circle-line marking to the left of the top LCD panel, as with 7D (absent on 5D)
Why do so many of you think it's a 5D III?

Of these changes - which seem improvements? Eg is a move away from the  5D MkII's On/Off switch position good?
Does the lack of a pop up flash hint at a 580 EXII successor/move from Canon to have an alternative?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:39:13 PM by tt »

msowsun

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
I was checking out the LCD screen.  Looks like zooming on an image is done with the top wheel.  This is a big departure from the 7D which had dedicated zoom buttons.

Naw... when you blow up the pic you can see the blue + and - with magnifying glass where it always has been.

Look closer awinphoto...  Look into the LCD screen.  There are icons on the LCD display underneath the white zoom frame.  One icon is for the top wheel, and the other is the magnifying glass.  Looks like you press the blue magnifying glass button on the left side of the body, then control your zoom using the wheel.  The 7D and 5D used to have + and - buttons in the upper-right of the body, but these are now missing.

Tijn

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »

But apart from that, in pretty much everything else that's visible of the body design, it's a 7D. So if this prototype is indeed a 5D mk3, then they've copied almost the entire 7D body, removed the flash, and put a fullframe sensor in it.

Somehow I find it equally plausible that this might in fact be a 7D mkII. I see pop-up flash as pretty worthless, and I'm not even all that serious in photography yet... Surely Canon and most serious photographers would notice that as well? Get a good flash if you're flashing...

Ryusui

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
Why do so many of you think it's a 5D III? I understand you want it to be, but... It just doesn't look similar at all, compared to the 7D...
Don't forget, as drozz pointed out that the 5D MkII has pretty much become the staple for DSLR filmmaking.  And putting a 16:9 LCD screen on it would also support the 5D MkIII theory.
Also, the 7D came out a year after the 5D MkII, so it's not inconceivable to think that many of the things put on the 7D would be brought over to the next 5D - especially since many of them were worthwhile add-ons/changes.

But apart from that, in pretty much everything else that's visible of the body design, it's a 7D. So if this prototype is indeed a 5D mk3, then they've copied almost the entire 7D body, removed the flash, and put a fullframe sensor in it.
And what would be wrong with that?  Or why would that be less likely than the camera being a 7D MkII?  Personally I found the 7D layout a bit more pleasing than the 5D MkII...especially with the dedicated movie switch.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:48:48 PM by Ryusui »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm just curious as to how many people here actually bothered reading the article this post materialized from?   The photographer clearly states that he (Stephen Oachs) was on a shoot in Africa when he ran across the other photographer also doing the same.  That photographer identified himself as a Canon employee (Stephen is not) who was field testing two new lenses.  According to said employee, the 200-400 will be release in March or April.

The camera was not discussed and Stephen didn't notice the irregularities until later.  Seriously guys, before you go down the rabbit hole, at least read the original post if for no other reason than there are more photos of the new gear.

What? You think facts might actually be more important than wild speculation.

Of course this means the 5DIII is right around the corner, after all, the photographer was field testing a lens that was announced...let's see...just under one year ago with a promised delivery date in 2011 and still hasn't been released.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
That's two different cameras in the two shots, that's why they look different.

Absolutely - straps are different, LCD layouts are different, button layouts are different, and as has been pointed out, one is being used with the 600mm and one with the 200-400 1.4xTC.  Unfortunately we can't see the rear button layout of the 1 series body.

With the gripped body, the size of the bulge on the top would seem to indicate full frame.  It would probably not make sense building a crop frame body without a popup flash, because there is less space required by the pentaprism.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Canon-F1

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

and why not.... the 7D is the newer design.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »