August 22, 2014, 11:57:18 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 69781 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
I was checking out the LCD screen.  Looks like zooming on an image is done with the top wheel.  This is a big departure from the 7D which had dedicated zoom buttons.

Naw... when you blow up the pic you can see the blue + and - with magnifying glass where it always has been.

Look closer awinphoto...  Look into the LCD screen.  There are icons on the LCD display underneath the white zoom frame.  One icon is for the top wheel, and the other is the magnifying glass.  Looks like you press the blue magnifying glass button on the left side of the body, then control your zoom using the wheel.  The 7D and 5D used to have + and - buttons in the upper-right of the body, but these are now missing.

thanks for pointing out the screen... after blowing up and brightening the screen I could see what looks like a magnifying glass and the click wheel for the top of the camera... I'm not sure what's going on with the rectangle next to it... If it is the image with the perspective zoomed into, it looks like a different 4:3 perspective but vertical.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
I believe this is a Canon employee being shot by another Canon employee (with a 5D mk III as well) for a controlled leak to hype up the camera.   Why would Canon charter a safari outing with the public when they could just easily go on private outing?

The shots of the employee weren't taken by an employee.
http://blog.apertureacademy.com/2012/01/canon-200-400mm-and-600mm-prototype.html

yup exactly, even on the most expensive camps in the mara (assuming this is where they went), then you are out in the field with all the other camps. Hiding isn't easy  :D The person taking the shot had a 100-400mm, so I suspect they took the shots without the tester realising. And I guess as soon as he made contact, the tester decided to come clean as frankly the annoucement is imminent on both the lens availability and perhaps even the well-disguised body.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

tt

« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
Bit distorted, but you can see a little of what the photographer was looking at.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Quick & dirty comparison for 7D, 5D Mark II, and this spotted model.
Judging from that picture, it looks much more like a 7D II than a 5D III.

Of this new model:

In favor of the 7D comparison:
- On/off button placement is identical to the 7D, different from 5D.
- M-fn button on top identical placement on 7D, absent on the 5D II.
- Same lock button as 7D, different from 5D.
- Same layout text of the left side buttons on the back as 7D (different from 5D, where the text is next to the buttons)
- Two buttons left of viewfinder, as with 7D, only one for 5D
- Thumb ridge on the right of the back shaped same as 7D, different from 5D
- Start/stop button same as on 7D, absent on 5D
- Same placing "Canon" text on body bottom as 7D, different from 5D (scratched out in prototype model)
- Small white circle-line marking to the left of the top LCD panel, as with 7D (absent on 5D)

In favor of the 5D comparison:
- Shape of body at the top part (near the shutter button) more similar to 5D than 7D (ridge wise)
- No pop-up flash

Why do so many of you think it's a 5D III? I understand you want it to be, but... It just doesn't look similar at all, compared to the 7D...

-The 5D II has a AF-ON button and the 5DC does not
-The 5D II's top LCD light button is in a totally different place as the 5DC's
-The 5D II has a Live view button and the 5DC does not.
-The 5D II has different buttons on the left side from the 5DC
-The 30D has buttons on the bottom of the screen and the 40D's are on the side.

Button layouts change all the time. the 7D is newer than the 5DII and thus has a more up to date control layout that Canon would want to carry over to the 5DIII. The grip for one, as the 7D is much more comfortable to hold than the 5DII.

Oh and,
-The 7D has a pop up flash but the 7DII will not?

This is the 5DIII.

Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
thanks for pointing out the screen... after blowing up and brightening the screen I could see what looks like a magnifying glass and the click wheel for the top of the camera... I'm not sure what's going on with the rectangle next to it... If it is the image with the perspective zoomed into, it looks like a different 4:3 perspective but vertical.

Those controls are super imposed upon the picture/preview of the bird's head. Is this the touch screen control of sorts?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:51:53 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Tijn

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
But apart from that, in pretty much everything else that's visible of the body design, it's a 7D. So if this prototype is indeed a 5D mk3, then they've copied almost the entire 7D body, removed the flash, and put a fullframe sensor in it.

and why not.... the 7D is the newer design.
It's absolutely possible. But I'm merely pointing out that body/layout wise, this is nothing like a 5D, and very much like a 7D. This can mean either that they consider this layout to be "superior" and they have copied it to the next 5D version, or it can mean that this is not a 5D but a 7D. (Or an entirely different unknown new model).

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
But apart from that, in pretty much everything else that's visible of the body design, it's a 7D. So if this prototype is indeed a 5D mk3, then they've copied almost the entire 7D body, removed the flash, and put a fullframe sensor in it.

It's absolutely possible. But I'm merely pointing out that body/layout wise, this is nothing like a 5D, and very much like a 7D. This can mean either that they consider this layout to be "superior" and they have copied it to the next 5D version, or it can mean that this is not a 5D but a 7D. (Or an entirely different unknown new model).

Yes but look at the top, it is larger than a APS-C Camera's pentaprism housing. Infact the shape of it is identical to the 5d2.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »

Ok, I'll give it to you that this might be a new model all together. But I'd bet a huge mound of money that this is not the 7D2. Mainly because of the pop up flash and the top head of this camera is very similar to the 5DII's FF OVF (much larger than the 7D APS-C's OVF)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Tijn

« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
Those controls are super imposed upon the picture/preview of the bird's head. Is this the touch screen control of sorts?
I think it's just the indication of which part of his photo he's zoomed in to. Namely, somewhere in the top left (the small rectangle inside the big one in the corner). And it'd be a portrait-oriented picture including at least some bird.
The magnifying glass would indicate that he's zoomed into the picture. The thing next to it, I don't know. I don't think it's a touch screen, just an indication of where he's zoomed in.

Gothmoth

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
i think a 7D MK2 will have a pop up flash... i see no reason why it should not.

of course when it is a strange new FF model.... it could be.

but isnĀ“t it more presumable that this is the long waited 5D MK3?!

Tijn

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

Ok, I'll give it to you that this might be a new model all together. But I'd bet a huge mound of money that this is not the 7D2. Mainly because of the pop up flash and the top head of this camera is very similar to the 5DII's FF OVF (much larger than the 7D APS-C's OVF)
Fair nuff. :-)

So considering this button layout update for the 5d mk3, do you reckon it is indeed better at all points? I.e. does the 7D layout beat the 5Dmk2 layout on pretty much all points?

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »

I believe this is a Canon employee being shot by another Canon employee (with a 5D mk III as well) for a controlled leak to hype up the camera.   Why would Canon charter a safari outing with the public when they could just easily go on private outing?

Exactly, cameras can be tested in Japan just as well as any other location. 

I want my 5d3.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Gothmoth

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
So considering this button layout update for the 5d mk3, do you reckon it is indeed better at all points? I.e. does the 7D layout beat the 5Dmk2 layout on pretty much all points?

at least it is consistent to have the same (or nearly the same) layout for your models.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »

6ftunder

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
Okay, I registered just to post this. I took the photo of the mystery 5d Mark III and zoomed in on the dial.

The 7D and the current 5D Mark II both have 10 modes to choose from, and our mystery camera only has 9 - the creative auto mode is missing!

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »

Just a thought but when we're out taking pictures, shouldn't we be.. umm... taking pictures?  Not rating pictures?  I would think there's plenty of time for that after your done taking pictures on the computer... Just saying.

Well, in this case I think they're testing the camera itself, but good point otherwise. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »