November 27, 2014, 05:03:21 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 73818 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Another thing that indicates it is a 5D3, if you look at the size of the optical viewfinder opening, the 5D's is slightly larger than the 7d's  ) relative to width of the Flash holder; on the mystery camera, it is more like the size of the 5D2/ FF.

In the attach pic, it's a crude approximation of the relative sizes of the view finder. & has the smallest, 5d2 is larger and mystery camera is as large as 5d2 (if not more), and visibly wider than 7d.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:07:02 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
But apart from that, in pretty much everything else that's visible of the body design, it's a 7D. So if this prototype is indeed a 5D mk3, then they've copied almost the entire 7D body, removed the flash, and put a fullframe sensor in it.

and why not.... the 7D is the newer design.
It's absolutely possible. But I'm merely pointing out that body/layout wise, this is nothing like a 5D, and very much like a 7D. This can mean either that they consider this layout to be "superior" and they have copied it to the next 5D version, or it can mean that this is not a 5D but a 7D. (Or an entirely different unknown new model).

Ok, I'll give it to you that this might be a new model all together. But I'd bet a huge mound of money that this is not the 7D2. Mainly because of the pop up flash and the top head of this camera is very similar to the 5DII's FF OVF (much larger than the 7D APS-C's OVF)
Fair nuff. :-)

So considering this button layout update for the 5d mk3, do you reckon it is indeed better at all points? I.e. does the 7D layout beat the 5Dmk2 layout on pretty much all points?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: I would see no reason not to update the 5D III with the 7D's highly praise control layout. The movie mode/photo mode/live view switch is really great and would do well on the 5DIII seeing as the 5DII was known for it's video recording. The on/off switch at the top also seems to be the new standard non-1 series position. And like I said, the thumb ridge is much much much better than the 5DII's weird bulge (which came from the xxD series to begin with). All would be welcome on a new 5D, IMO.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Gothmoth

« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
by the way.. i think the image on the LCD shows a little bit to much noise.
i thought canon would have improved low iso noise.

:P

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
My bet is that it's not a 7D II. I can't see a 7D II without a pop up flash for wireless function.

If you notice there is also a piece of black tape over the bottom of the screen to cover the model I would guess. But looking at my 7D it only says "Canon" there. Do some other Canon's have the Model below the screen? I know Nikon's do.

I took a screen grab of the back LCD panel and lightened it up. I thought it would reveal something interesting. I don't really think it does. It kinda looks like the head of a bird but it's not oriented in portrait.
Not that interesting but I attached it anyway. (Maybe PS would be better. All I have at work is Picasa)

looks like head of a guinea fowl perhaps?

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

I'm ready to break my PIGGY BANK... ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Two things:
1. Why is the top LCD not showing anything readouts. It looks like the camera is turned off but the switch says on.
2. If this is real, then why does it have the M.Fn. button to switch between all sorts of AF modes if the AF will only have 5-9 pts and be a completely crippled 7D AF or worse as per the other recent 5D3 rumors? This would point to the other rumors as being false no?

1. Easy. He was in playback mode looking at a previous shot.

2. That makes no sense. The M.Fn. button can do many things. Hence the name... For a while I used it to engage the electronic level.

1. good point  ;D
2. but I just don't think they'd bother with it unless it could also control AF modes, we'll see

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

I was about to post a 'what the heck are you thinking?', but then I read it was you, Gothmoth.  I'm glad I understand your humor, it saved me from correcting what is obviously sarcasm.  The upcoming 5D3 should mean good prices on older FF bodies, something I look forward to.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Oh dear god, no.  Not that stupid mode dial unlock button.  To me, that's one of the most useless additions that Canon can put on a semi-pro body.  I can see the reason for putting it on the 60D, but come on.  Anyone using a 7D or higher should have some idea of what they're doing and in all my years of photography I've never heard of anyone accidentally switching the mode dial unintentionally.  If the new 5D is in fact coming standard with the unlock button, I hope that one can "downgrade" and remove it.  Even for a fee, I'd do it.

That unpleasantness aside,

Hmmm I thought it was the PROs who had MOST asked for that feature.   ;)
I've heard them complain of it switching as it rubs against chest as they are chasing down a shot and then they whip it up for a shot and it's a mess.

msowsun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »

Are you serious?  It is just a crappy photo of a dark LCD from far away.  ???

Gothmoth

« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
Hmmm I thought it was the PROs who had MOST asked for that feature.   ;)
I've heard them complain of it switching as it rubs against chest as they are chasing down a shot and then they whip it up for a shot and it's a mess.

yes.... you have to carry the camera like a child all the time if you never changed the mode dial by accident.

some handle the gear not so gentle....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:26:11 PM by Gothmoth »

Gothmoth

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
Are you serious?  It is just a crappy photo of a dark LCD from far away.  ???

well i have fantastic eyes and im an expert....  :D

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
I believe this is a Canon employee being shot by another Canon employee (with a 5D mk III as well) for a controlled leak to hype up the camera.   Why would Canon charter a safari outing with the public when they could just easily go on private outing?

That was my first impression, too.  6 pages of feedback in an hour, from 1 forum!

Maybe the 'Rate' button is for built-in intervalometer???  I really doubt it... but the 5D is supposed to be the artist, and the 7D the athlete, right?  Seems more like something you'd have a custom menu for though, if built in.

Just a thought but when we're out taking pictures, shouldn't we be.. umm... taking pictures?  Not rating pictures?  I would think there's plenty of time for that after your done taking pictures on the computer... Just saying.

Maybe to help meet deadlines? During time outs quickly rate photos?
It can be a mad, mad rush to get things in time before print deadline.

[So between the M.Fn. button, the rate photos button and the joystick on the grip I declare that it will have 1D4 (perhaps slightly improved) and 6.3fps and the 5pt AF with 3-4fps rumors can just go away, off with their heads. I chose to see the glass as 1/16th full  ;).]

Andrei Morar

• Power Shot G7X
  • http://andreimorar.zenfolio.com/
    • View Profile
    • Andrei Morar Photography
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
If this turns out to be the 5d Mark III then i'll be all over it. The fact that it has a multicontroller joystick on the grip, the new and surelyimproved LCD, the apparently bigger viewfinder make me say BRING IT ON, CANON!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »

Tijn

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
Another thing that indicates it is a 5D3, if you look at the size of the optical viewfinder opening, the 5D's is slightly larger than the 7d's  ) relative to width of the Flash holder; on the mystery camera, it is more like the size of the 5D2/ FF.

In the attach pic, it's a crude approximation of the relative sizes of the view finder. & has the smallest, 5d2 is larger and mystery camera is as large as 5d2 (if not more), and visibly wider than 7d.

Thanks for the picture comparison, it made me look closer. But I cannot draw the same conclusion as you did. When brightening up the "mystery camera" picture, you see the edges of a smaller viewfinder than the 5D's inside the dark cutout - just like you see in the 7D picture you posted. On the 5D picture, there are no edges visible - only corners (inside the viewfinder). Now if you look at the mystery camera prototype and brighten it up, you do see edges - even though the camera is angled slightly to the side, you see full side edges on both sides. Note the blue spotted line.

To me, this still leans heavily towards the 7D.

kenraw

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »
what if this camera was neither 5dmk3 or 7dm2 but in fact a 5dx
Personally I think a lot of people would love a full frame 7d and hopefully this new camera will be it, I don't care what they call it as long as it's a beast!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »