August 22, 2014, 02:18:28 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 69785 times)

surfjungle

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »
I reckon that it's the 5D Mark3.

Apologies if this has been dealth with in the previous 22 pages but would I be correct in stating that all of Canon's APS-C cameras have an intergrated flash. All of Canon's APS-H and FF cameras do not have an integrated flash? I doubt this will change. It appears that this camera does not have an integrated flash, ergo my conclusion.

Also, and this might just be my sense of scale being off, consider the actual viewfinder proportion involved. The viewfinder looks chunky relative to the body - you can have a look at them handily enough at http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS7D/Images/allroundview.jpg vs http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/allroundview.jpg - I would imagine that the 5D Mark3 is deffo getting some of the 7D feature set and a viewfinder upgrade style / functionality upgrade may be part of it.

Thoughts?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
I reckon that it's the 5D Mark3.

Apologies if this has been dealth with in the previous 22 pages but would I be correct in stating that all of Canon's APS-C cameras have an intergrated flash. All of Canon's APS-H and FF cameras do not have an integrated flash? I doubt this will change. It appears that this camera does not have an integrated flash, ergo my conclusion.

Also, and this might just be my sense of scale being off, consider the actual viewfinder proportion involved. The viewfinder looks chunky relative to the body - you can have a look at them handily enough at http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS7D/Images/allroundview.jpg vs http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/allroundview.jpg - I would imagine that the 5D Mark3 is deffo getting some of the 7D feature set and a viewfinder upgrade style / functionality upgrade may be part of it.

Thoughts?

Same here. I think that those changes are really practical.

1.) Moving the ON/OFF switch to a mode dial is good - and there they can put a lock for dial (which is also great to have in case of accidentally swithing/changing some settings). 5D Mk II doesnt have lock on dial.
2.) New button/switch for stills/video as on 7D would be great on 5D Mk III.
3.) Q button in reach of right thumb is also fine - you can quickly review/change - and you can do it with one hand. Handy placemnet of button :-)

I think it is logical to review button placement with new body. There is nothing wrong with putting 7D-like placement to a new 5D Mk III - especially good for video stuff.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

surfjungle

« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »
I agree mathino. The only gripe I have is that the delete button is beside the play button and that the play button is less accessible than the delete button (ie: bottom left hand corner). Why this is fascinates me...

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
The shots of the employee weren't taken by an employee.
http://blog.apertureacademy.com/2012/01/canon-200-400mm-and-600mm-prototype.html

yup exactly, even on the most expensive camps in the mara (assuming this is where they went), then you are out in the field with all the other camps. Hiding isn't easy  :D The person taking the shot had a 100-400mm, so I suspect they took the shots without the tester realising. And I guess as soon as he made contact, the tester decided to come clean as frankly the annoucement is imminent on both the lens availability and perhaps even the well-disguised body.

The 200-400mm was announced almost a year ago to be in development, so what would be the point of keeping the fact that it's being field tested a secret?

As for the camera body - the employee said nothing, and the photos do not reveal what body it is, so what have we learned? That Canon field tests new camera bodies?

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »

Click here for full size (1600x1400)

Did somebody notice that the diopter adjustment is set very far back into the body? There is also some kind of "hole" left from it. The adjustment wheel should be centered, which it isn't.

http://acmaxx.net/product/canon_7d/canon_7d_top.jpg

Another design this camera takes from the 7D  ;)
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
The image in this link could be an indication that the bird was in fact pretty much full frame, probably at a similar angle (reversed and head side on). Of course, we still don't know how far away the bird was to judge full frame/crop.

http://guineafowlbirds.com/Guinea-Fowl-Articles/Natural-Exterminators-2.html
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
The grouping on the LCD is different from the 7D
Is it the same as the 5D MKII?
Or like the 1D-X?

I like the new position of some buttons. More logical and more easy to use.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
The grouping on the LCD is different from the 7D
Is it the same as the 5D MKII?
Or like the 1D-X?

I like the new position of some buttons. More logical and more easy to use.

My firmest hopes are that, if if it full frame, it is a 5DIII. Not a hybrid, a chimera of two glories kludged to mutual detriment.

The 7D mk II is a camera I have been looking forward to for quite some time now, and it must needs be asp-c! And it must needs exist, not as a hybrid, not as a ghost of what might have been, but in its full asp-c, hopefully 24mp glory!
What is truth?

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
My firmest hopes are that, if if it full frame, it is a 5DIII. Not a hybrid, a chimera of two glories kludged to mutual detriment.

The 7D mk II is a camera I have been looking forward to for quite some time now, and it must needs be asp-c! And it must needs exist, not as a hybrid, not as a ghost of what might have been, but in its full asp-c, hopefully 24mp glory!

If ever there is a 7D mkII, it will have a ASP-C sensor. Otherwise, it would not be called 7D mkII (7D X is possible, but I highly doubt that).
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
Can't help wondering if this new camera is targeted at wildlife photographers, some of whom seem to feel overlooked with the 1DX. The testing location and lenses used would also tie in with this theory.

Perhaps it is a new higher MP APS-H.

Hypothetically, if you were setting off on an African Safari to shoot wildlife with a couple of long telephoto lenses, presuming you had to make a choice between FF and APS-H what would you use? What do most wildlife photographers use now? The Canon Employee was taking photos of a  bird, when I want to take bird photo I use my Aps-C for the crop-factor although for most things I favour FF.

I'd love this to be the 5Dii replacement and I bet it's going to be announced very soon  but... it also makes  sense that the camera in the photo may be something else.

Yes, but that's making the assumption that the photographer's main purpose is to shoot wildlife, instead of testing new equipment and reporting back to Canon.  Since he is also using the 200-400mm w/1.4x TC lens (attached to a 1DX), I think we have to conclude it's the latter.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
I agree mathino. The only gripe I have is that the delete button is beside the play button and that the play button is less accessible than the delete button (ie: bottom left hand corner). Why this is fascinates me...

Well, they can change the order of buttons on the left side but delete button was always the lowest one. On 5D Mk II and also 7D it is just the same: play button and below it is delete button. I had 7D borrowed from a friend and didnit find the layout annoying or so. And I like layout of 7D, works better for me ;-) Thats the reason I will welcome this change - if it comes true :-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:09:54 AM by mathino »
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »
count me as one of those people who wouldn't mind a 7D X with an APS-H sensor ... Canon always talked about not wanting to kill that off, although they also always talked about not putting it in the 7D.  one statement or the other is going to have to be contradicted at some point.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
I notice an absence of "speaker" holes. Of course these could be anywhere, but on the 7d they are to the left and the 5D2 on the right of the viewfinder. But considering the mess made of covering up the Canon logo, it looks otherwise like a body ready for release, not a cobbled together beta version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
With four threads all covering the same topic, it's hard to know where to post anything. But, I am curious about peoples' reaction to this thought.

If the 5D MkIII offers a "pro-style" autofocus, but if the sensor is essentially unchanged (no significant increase in Resolution, ISO speed, noise or dynamic range) will people buy it? Maybe throw in some bells and whistles, which this body seems to have.

That would be one way to differentiate between the 1DX and address the major concern/problem with the 5D II. Canon could easily do that and retain the same price-point as the current 5D.

Reaction?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
unfocused,

A full frame body with something like 25 mb, say 19 AF (all cross type) points and never mind the extra bells and whistles its bound to come with? Yes, I'd be up for it at a sensible price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »