December 04, 2016, 05:18:04 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 102520 times)

doug13

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
Stephen Quote: "I hope this helps everyone understand that this is not an inside "leak" or media attempt on the part of Canon".

Now you tell me how the hell  he knows that if he said that he spoke with the guy only twice , he was just too sure of that in my understanding, Canon is just playing Nikon's game at the moment. Im not blaming Stephen, i just think that he is just naive to think that Canon would do such a silly thing.

You seem to be riding this horse awfully hard.  What he seems to be saying is that Canon had no direct role or influence over his taking those images and posting them to the Internet on his blog.  Is that so hard for people to accept?

Now...did Canon intentionally set up a situation where something like this could happen, by sending a prototype camera to a very public location certain to be filled with photographers?  Quite likely. But please, let's leave out the full on conspiracy theory...

i was just saying about the second part of the quote where he says that it wasn't a "media attempt on the part of canon" thas it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »

Ryusui

« Reply #361 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
Any Idea, what's the function of the green rectangular with an A+ at the mode dial?
Maybe they merged the fully automatic an creative automatic into one mode?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_kit?selectedName=Features&fileName=0901e0248027ec40_feature5.html

motorhead

• Canon 70D
« Reply #362 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
Interesting that the "originator" of this series of images claims not to have touched them. Yet in one shot I can clearly read Canon under the rear LCD but in another it has been very roughly blacked over.

Looks like someone has been fibbing to us!

surfing_geek

« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
Any Idea, what's the function of the green rectangular with an A+ at the mode dial?
Maybe they merged the fully automatic an creative automatic into one mode?
dammit, you beat me to it!  i noticed that and thought i was going to get there first  ;)

surfing_geek

« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »
Interesting that the "originator" of this series of images claims not to have touched them. Yet in one shot I can clearly read Canon under the rear LCD but in another it has been very roughly blacked over.

Looks like someone has been fibbing to us!

i think that's because there's 2 different cameras in the series of photos.  it was mentioned earlier on...

BBT

« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
The guy is using 2 different bodies. The one with 200-400mm lens is definitely EOS1 series. The top view of the camera resembles EOS 1D/Ds. The LCD info layout is different from 1D Mk4 or 1Ds Mk3 (notably battery level is on the bottom right instead of left).
The one fitted with 600mm lens has very similar layout with 7D. Again the LCD panel info layout is different from Canon 7D (notably it has 4 digits counters vs. 3 digits only on 7D). On top of that, as said there are 'new buttons' on left side and 'missing' pop up flash from a 7D model.
So whether this is a shopped image or not, let's wait...

fred_jb

« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
Doe anyone else think the mystery camera's viewfinder is a different aspect ratio to other Canon cameras?  It looks more elongated than 3:2 to me, which suggests it may match the apparently 16:9 ratio of the LCD.  Could this mean the sensor itself has a different aspect ratio, optimised for video?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »

vivial6

« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
As a sportsshooter, I must say that if the RATE button and the button above it is what a think they are. Those two buttons really scream sportsphotography workflow.

My guess is that the RATE button replaces the LOCK button find on the 1D series. By pushing the button once you will lock the picture and giving it a 1 star rating, by pushing the button again (on the same image) you will give it a 2 star rating and so on.

The button above is probably an "in- camera" crop button or image edit button.

Both these buttons would really benefit workflow for sportsphotographers.

The lock button on the 1D series is often used to do a first rough selection "in-camera" You then choose to only download the selected (locked) images from the CF card to the computer. By doing this you save time and speed up workflow.
A rate button would give me a chance to do a more narrow selection in camera. In game action portraits of players would , for example get a one star rating, while more time critical images of goal celebration, injuries would get a higher rating

A crop button would let me crop pictures in the camera while the game play is away from me, that way a don´t need to do it in the computer which saves me time. Also a very
good feature if shooting live.

What really puzzles me is that if this new camera is a high megapixel/low speed camera aimed more at studio / Landscape, why prioritize these two buttons? Or do other non-sportphotographers also benefit and se these buttons as a useful workflow feature?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:42:40 PM by vivial6 »

K-amps

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »
Autofocus alone, while nice, is not enough for me. 

The other bells and whistles are just firmware usually, and as a software developer it drives me nuts.  I know if I had access to their code I could add SO much SO easily.  Can't WAIT for MagicLantern unified for the 5D2. 

Another drawback -- as much trouble as the MagicLantern folks have had with the 7D, the 5D3 might never get hacked.   :(

Eric

Unfocused: I do not own a 5d2, so if same price point, I'd go for the 5d3 anyday. However, they are bound to have a digic 5 in there, so something has got to give... either better AF or ISO or FPS or MP etc, it cannot be the same as 5d2 +bells.

Eric: The issue with hacking 7D was dual Digic processors, if the 5d3 has a single Digic 5, there still hope  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:52:07 PM by K-amps »
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

melbournite

• EOS M3
    • Freelance Photographer Melbourne
« Reply #369 on: January 24, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
Just thought I'd better get in on this post and add my two bobs worth.  Two bobs.

But seriously this is lots of fun.  The anticipation and speculation is probably more exciting than the official announcement will be.

pumpkin

« Reply #370 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
As a sportsshooter, I must say that if the RATE button and the button above it is what a think they are. Those two buttons really scream sportsphotography workflow.

My guess is that the RATE button replaces the LOCK button find on the 1D series. By pushing the button once you will lock the picture and giving it a 1 star rating, by pushing the button again (on the same image) you will give it a 2 star rating and so on.

The lock button on the 1D series is often used to do a first rough selection "in-camera" You then choose to only download the selected (locked) images from the CF card to the computer. By doing this you save time and speed up workflow.
A rate button would give me a chance to do a more narrow selection in camera. In game action portraits of players would , for example get a one star rating, while more time critical images of goal celebration, injuries would get a higher rating

A crop button would let me crop pictures in the camera while the game play is away from me, that way a don´t need to do it in the computer which saves me time. Also a very

What really puzzles me is that if this new camera is a high megapixel/low speed camera aimed more at studio / Landscape, why prioritize these two buttons? Or do other non-sportphotographers also benefit and se these buttons as a useful workflow feature?

Very interesting considerations.

I can imagine that rating within the camera could be interesting for other photographers too, who haven't a notebook by their side. Maybe because they have time to do that work during their shooting and saveing time at home.

The sign on the button above the RATE-button might also be a brush, so it could be a button for photostyles an color setting or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:19:49 PM by pumpkin »

Picsfor

« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
Blimey - 26 pages! And counting till the next rumour/ sighting/ announcement

If Canon are watching, they're getting a rough idea of how many 5D3/X's to produce judging by this lot.

All we need now is a picture of a cmaera with 3DX on it, taken by a 36mp Nikon D800 and we've covered all apsects of this sighting  ;)

vivial6

« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Very interesting considerations.

I can imagine that rating within the camera could be interesting for other photographers too, who haven't a notebook by their side. Maybe because they have time to do that work during their shooting and saveing time at home.

The sign on the button above the RATE-button might also be a brush, so it could be a button for photostyles an color setting or something like that.

You are probably right.
It is a brush and not a cutting "penknife", I was not sure at first. That will however be even better from a workflow perspective, because you are probably going to be able to crop and to change whitebalance, exposure, noicereduction, color... on RAW images and then be able to save to jpg. I know the 1D X will atleast have that feature.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

tt

« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Pretty good point - doesn't a RATE button point more towards a 7Desque sports/action model, than a 5D Mark III?

Yes, you can reprogram what the button does, but why would they make a dedicated, named button if it wasn't for people who're needing to rate pictures.

Would a wedding photographer or landscape photographer be using this as much as a sports photographer skimming through pictures reviewing what's come from a series of burst shoots, or such?
Opposing argument - why isn't it on the 1DX?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:18:40 PM by tt »

mjbehnke

• EOS M3
« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
Maybe the Rate Button is for changing the FPS rate? FF rate = slow, Aps-h = Fast, than Aps-c = High Speed. Might as well throw that out there. You never know what Canon is up too.

That's my III cents worth.
Canon. Just Canon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »