October 21, 2014, 04:59:26 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D X Speculation  (Read 19485 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 5D X Speculation
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
5D Mark III, 7D Mark II or neither? The camera that popped up today has brought about a lot of questions of what it might be. I’ve seen speculation from a few places that perhaps the camera is a replacement for both the 7D and 5D Mark II.  The camera definitely looks to be full frame, however there is a lot of the “sporty” features of the 7D.

The Leak The pictures taken for this leak are pretty extraordinary compared to the stuff we’ve seen in the past. I’ve been asked if there has been a change in the way Canon is treating viral marketing, and I have no answer for that right now.

It is interesting that Nikon “leaked’ their D800 a little while ago, and the perceived direct competitor from Canon also leaks.

More to come I’m sure.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 5D X Speculation
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »

unix81

Re: Canon EOS 5D X Speculation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
It's the 5D XXV  ;D  no doubt

kapanak

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
Can someone explain these "sporty" features? I have a 5DII, and the button layout on this leak just seems like 7D button layout. To me, that is a progression, an evolution of the 5D button layout.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
This could be a leak directly from the manufacturer. There is a LOT of buzz right now about a new Olympus OM MFT camera...and very small details of the camera are trickling out... one by one..I believe from Olympus. We saw the same thing in advance of the Fuji XP1 announcement. All Japanese manufactures and all a recent phenomenon that you did not see much in the past.
I believe that the manufacturers are well aware of these rumor sites, are catching on to a new marketing opportunity and are finding that sending out teases to these websites (a salivating audience just waiting to be titillated with advanced info), gets  them a lot of basically free marketing before the product is released. These photos look staged. No?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:52:04 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
a 5DX!  Now that's a very interesting idea indeed!  I wonder what kind of spec a 5DmkIII combined with a 7DmkII would bring!  Maybe Canon will surprise all of use with yet another merger of product line.  If that were true, at least we would almost be sure the resulting camera would have a better AF then the current 5DmkII  :P

All this really feels like we are close to something big being announced here!  Finally!

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

mkln

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
I wonder how the successors of 1D X and 5D X would be called.

1D Y?
1D X Mark II?
1D XX?

just stayin, canon, just sayin.

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
the love child of the 5DII and the 7D i'd buy one of those

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
The 5DX is a really fantastic development if it eventuates! Kill the 7D crop sensor for good! Read on...

I own two 5DmarkII's and I bought a 7D on a whim in November of last year. I love everything about the 7D except the image quality.  Compared to the 5DMarkII there is noticeably more noise even at base ISO, less accurate colors and less dynamic range - all of these are noticeable in Lightroom and not just spec sheet facts.  For the quality of camera body that you get and the features you get - the Achilles heel is the sensor. I've thought since buying the 7D, that crop sensors it the Canon lineup should stop with the 60D.

For the 5DMarkII's, the IQ is really very good, but is let down by many of the features - poor AF and poor weather sealing are two of the main culprits. Read more of its weaknesses here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/vs-5d-mark-ii.htm (I don't agree with K.R. with everything but that's a really good summation of things and I agree with those weaknesses 100%).

I'd be extremely happy if they combined the 5D and 7D lines, even if it sold for an extra grand over the current 5DMarkII. It would still be a lot less than a 1DX (approx half the price), and not be as fast, nor have quite as many features, but it would be enough to satisfy me as serious amateur, and stop me going the Nikon way.

5DX - let it be true!!!

GoldenEagle

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:24 PM »
I don't know about a blend. I like having both FF/5DM2 plus a 1.6Crop/7D, it gives great flexibility when having both bodies and a few lenses to switch around.

Re: leaking. One very good reason for Canon to leak is to get its existing customers fixated on ("fall in love") with what's ahead in the Canon line, and be more willing to wait and NOT be tempted to switch loyalties from Nikon, Sony, etc. who might deliver a product a few weeks/months ahead of Canon. 

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »
I'm just glad whatever it is it doesn't have an articulating screen! Looks great though! Feels like we might hear something soon, I'm so excited :D
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Justin

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I don't care how many af points or fps, If it's the 1Dx sensor I'm pretty sure I'm not buying it.

D_Rochat

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
Very interesting. It's definitely possible that they are merging the two and keeping the Pro line FF only.  I'm sure Canon is anticipating the APS-C fanatics pissing themselves and maybe they'll gear the 70D to be more like the 7D or the 7D mkII that they want. If it's an improvement, who cares what badge it wears.  Who knows what they'll do.....

BlueMixWhite

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
This definitely a planned leak, if not why there is no frontal view of the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »
I'm a little hesitant to jump in on a conversation that seems to me to be going in some pretty wild directions. But I just can't help myself.

I'm going to predict that this is the 5D Mk III. Why?

Here is what Stephen Oachs said:

I'm currently on a shoot in Kenya, Africa, and I ran into a Japanese man sporting some gear I didn't recognize. While his English was very limited, I was able to confirm that he works for Canon and is doing in-field testing with the new Canon 200-400mm with built-in teleconverter. He also was testing the new Canon 600mm.

My thought: I don't believe Canon would send a photographer out to do field testing in a public location using a body that is not close to being released. The absence of the on-camera flash probably rules out the 7DII. The grip is clearly an add-on. So, my money is on the new 5D III.

As far as this being some sort of conscious effort on Canon's part to "leak" something, I'm doubting it. I'll leave that to the conspiracy theorists. But, I suspect that the Canon employee was instructed to tell anyone who noticed that he was field testing the lenses. No trade secret there. The 200-400 was announced a year ago. I'm guessing that if he were asked about the camera, he'd simply pretend not to understand or give some other, non-committal answer.

Not nearly as fun as speculating about some grand, secret strategy. But, when simple, obvious answers are available, it's usually best to go with them.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

D_Rochat

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
I'm a little hesitant to jump in on a conversation that seems to me to be going in some pretty wild directions.

If someone told you one year ago that there would be no more 1Ds or 1D (as we knew it) and there would be an 18mp body to replace both, would you consider that to have been a conversation going in a wild direction? At this point, anything is possible  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »