November 28, 2014, 01:25:30 PM

Author Topic: Announcement Date? [CR1]  (Read 12568 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Announcement Date? [CR1]
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
When is the next announcement? After piecing together a different emails I have received the last few days. There is a common date of February 7, 2012 for an NDA/embargo lift. So that means all the testers can start talking and things are usually announced.

Nikon is apparently announcing on February 7, 2012. This comes two days before the CP+ show opens in Yokohama, Japan. A suspected D800 and 5D Mark III (or similar) on the same day?

Specs Another mention of 22mp resolution came in, as well as a “pro level” autofocus system. That bit of info comes from a known source.,

It has been a crazy day, and I’m sure more is on the way.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Announcement Date? [CR1]
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »

Mark1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement Date? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
It's all falling in to place isn't it. Nikon 'leaked' their own D800 ages ago and now Canon 'leak' their next generation full frame and it's all in time for a major show in both company's homeland in 2 weeks time.

Gripping stuff!

plam_1980

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
So exciting, this is to the benefit of both camps

KHAWACHEN

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »
TOTALLY !  I almost always think that "LEAKS" are "LEAKED" on purpose by the company to get the media and fan going crazy before the eventual announcement !  ;D

So exciting, this is to the benefit of both camps

Rank_90

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:19:36 AM »
Yes this is the warm up gig. Companies like Canon and Nikon know that build up is everything. IMO the shot was prob taken by Canon. They are good shots and dont give too much away. You know if it was you or I taking the picture we would have got a shot of the front label or at least the front.

It's a good PR setup and we all love it! Exciting times!

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:06 AM »
Yes, I reckon a good bit of discussion took place on exactly how much of the camera should be shown in the leaked shots; how much of the top LCD screen, which buttons should be visible and how clearly, and so on.

I bet real effort went into getting those photos "just so".
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Rank_90

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »
Yes, I reckon a good bit of discussion took place on exactly how much of the camera should be shown in the leaked shots; how much of the top LCD screen, which buttons should be visible and how clearly, and so on.

I bet real effort went into getting those photos "just so".

Yes I'm with you on that one. I can imagine them sketching it out, "we will show this and cover this..." the photos are sure not to give the game away too early but an excellent PR stunt. Cant wait to see the specs when its all out.  Right need to start looking for the 12 months 0% Credit card deals lol

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »
I'm planning on attending Focus this year on March 7th (I didn't bother last year with Canon not going). I'm looking forward to seeing the 1D-X, but it looks like there could be another new camera there that's likely to be in my price range. I'm sure Canon would want to announce ready for all the upcoming shows. Who knows, with any NDA's expiring, we may get to see some 1D-X shots around the same time.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »
I know several over time (including myself) has given guess in-stock dates.

Historically, what has been the lead time between announcement and shippable product?  Are first shipments pretty much spoken for?  What is the reality of the situation?   What was the history on the 5DmarkII and 7D announce to ships?

edit - I might have answered my own question - reading some old forum threads (elsewhere) I see that the 5DMarkII was announced Photokina Sep 2008 and began shipping around early December, with entertaining backorder stories for months after that. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:55:23 AM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:42 AM »
wow.. not long now then... be glad when all the speculation ends.. well for now!

alipaulphotography

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 05:53:22 AM »
Wedding to shoot on the 9th March. Think that might be cutting things a little fine.

Drama79

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »
Am I the only person thinking that you're all over-thinking this?

I don't think Canon cares for speculation and rumour at all. the 1D-X was dropped with a nice announcement, and that was it. Canon ARE smart enough to know that the market will work for them, and that with units out there in the wild, there is the chance they will be seen, talked about, etc.

The good news coming from all this is an announcement within the next 2 1/2 weeks, it would seem. If I had to guess, based on the body, I'd say it's the new 5, with some of the video options of the 7 factored in, and a nice widescreen view panel. Obviously, I'm one of the thousands that can't wait, so it's good news it's sooner rather than later.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »
Another mention of 22mp resolution came in, as well as a “pro level” autofocus system. That bit of info comes from a known source.

The 5DIII as relly an almost baby-1D X?  I'll play devil's advocate to my own viewpoint, and ask why not?  Canon has to have a flagship, a truly top of the line pro camera.  But they merged the 1D and 1Ds (or eliminated the 1Ds and made the 1D a FF camera, if you prefer) - still having a flagship, but not two of them.  I have no doubt that the 5DII made them more profit than the 1DsIII and 1D IV combined.  So, why not combine the 1-series, which they did, and not expect to make a hefty profit from that line.  Make the 5DIII a significant improvement over the 5DII by giving it an excellent AF system, forget about 'cannabalizing' 1D X sales, the 5DIII is the real profit engine, so make it as good as possible.

I can say this, though - if they release a 5DIII with 22 MP and a “pro level” AF system (e.g. recycle the 1DsIII AF), leaving the main differentator from the 1D X as the frame rate (still 4 fps, even), I'd be quite interested - perhaps enough to get the 5DIII instead of the 1D X.  Don't worry, Canon  ::)  the money saved will go toward lenses....
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:01 AM »

I can say this, though - if they release a 5DIII with 22 MP and a “pro level” AF system (e.g. recycle the 1DsIII AF), leaving the main differentator from the 1D X as the frame rate (still 4 fps, even), I'd be quite interested - perhaps enough to get the 5DIII instead of the 1D X.  Don't worry, Canon  ::)  the money saved will go toward lenses....

Beginning to sound like a 1Ds4 in a small body ....  8) 8) 8)

marinien

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »
Don't worry, Canon  ::)  the money saved will go toward lenses....

The 200-400mm f/4 I guess  ::)?
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »