October 25, 2014, 10:43:47 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup  (Read 38052 times)

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
There does not seem to be a lot of info trickling down to Graig on the ISO performance of this new camera.  Could this mean the 5DmkII replacement will get a pro-grade AF, maybe a slitly new sensor, surely some improved video stuff but could retain the existing ISO performance, such that the 1DX is the ISO champion for Canon as well as the speed deamon!

Anyone with thoughts on this one?

Well, until we will get some specs its really hard to say or guess what sensor this camera will have - and in this way also hard to guess ISO performance.

What I think, there surely will be some ISO improvements even if there will be a redesigned 5D Mk II sensor.

I hope for superb AF ! :-)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

heron88

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure all Canon DSLRs, or at least all the current ones, simply have the Canon logo underneath the LCD. Why would they cover it with tape unless it was something different? If this was simply a 5d Mark II or 7D upgrade, surely it would just say Canon underneath the screen like everything else? I believe it's covered because what is actually there is something dealing with the Cinema EOS line, maybe that little red C is behind that tape somewhere, maybe it says Cinema EOS.

Whatever it is, I see no reason for it to be covered unless it's something other than just the Canon logo.

I think we're looking at the new Cinema EOS DSLR.

Unless this is indeed a Canon leak and they put the tape there just to mess with us  ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Unless this is indeed a Canon leak and they put the tape there just to mess with us

I like the tape.  Clearly it's intended to hide the Canon logo.  Because attaching the camera to a big white lens give absolutely no clue as to its brand.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
Unless this is indeed a Canon leak and they put the tape there just to mess with us

I like the tape.  Clearly it's intended to hide the Canon logo.  Because attaching the camera to a big white lens give absolutely no clue as to its brand.

:D :D :D Exaclty, with white huge tele you really can't guess what brand it is ;)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
There does not seem to be a lot of info trickling down to Craig on the ISO performance of this new camera.  Could this mean the 5DmkII replacement will get a pro-grade AF, maybe a slightly newer sensor, surely some improved video stuff but could retain the existing ISO performance, such that the 1DX is the ISO champion for Canon as well as the speed demon!

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The only thing Canon has to "fix" on the 5DII is the autofocus. They could probably even get away with recycling the current sensor (not saying they will, just that they could). I also agree that they will add some video improvements (I think Canon was shocked by how popular the 5DII became for low-budget video and they want to keep that market satisfied. It may amount to a small percentage of their buyers now, but the growth pattern is far healthier than the DSLR still market.)

I posted on another thread, but will ask the question here as well: if the autofocus is the only major upgrade, is that enough for people to buy the 5DIII?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
There does not seem to be a lot of info trickling down to Craig on the ISO performance of this new camera.  Could this mean the 5DmkII replacement will get a pro-grade AF, maybe a slightly newer sensor, surely some improved video stuff but could retain the existing ISO performance, such that the 1DX is the ISO champion for Canon as well as the speed demon!

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The only thing Canon has to "fix" on the 5DII is the autofocus. They could probably even get away with recycling the current sensor (not saying they will, just that they could). I also agree that they will add some video improvements (I think Canon was shocked by how popular the 5DII became for low-budget video and they want to keep that market satisfied. It may amount to a small percentage of their buyers now, but the growth pattern is far healthier than the DSLR still market.)

I posted on another thread, but will ask the question here as well: if the autofocus is the only major upgrade, is that enough for people to buy the 5DIII?

For me as a person who wants to upgrade to FF - definitely yes. I had 7D borrowed from my friend, AF was perfect (the best for me was this cluster type of 1 + 4 AF points) but ISO performance (as expected) was not something for low light work (I've found out that highest usable ISO was 3200 - for me). And on one Canon event I've had 5D Mk II, ISO performance was great but usable was only center AF point.

So a conclusion, for me, new 5D with just better AF will be ideal. I think as for many upgraders from xxxxD/xxxD/xxD lines.

As for someone looking for new camera (5D or 7D owners) this could be really a question. They can buy 7D or 5D Mk II as second body and have both features - IQ and AF. Even batteries for these cameras ar the same. For them, there must be something significant to upgrade to 5D Mk II-like-with-better-AF body.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:12:42 PM by mathino »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

This is a very good question.  Speaking for myself if this camera was the only option I had other then going to the dark side (aka Nikon  ;)) I might.  However for my specific use I am also looking for some significant ISO improvement.  This is why I beleive for me the viable option will be a 1DX.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

If the price was the same as the 'usual' 5DII price (before the recent drops, i.e. ~US$2500) and the AF was substantially improved, I would strongly consider it instead of the 1D X, especially with the second joystick on the battery grip.  12 fps would be nice, of course, but I don't have a real issue with the current 3.9 fps.

For me, it will depend on the nuances.  I'm fortunate that budget isn't an overriding consideration - yes, I'd like to spend only $3K on camera+grip and leave $6K for lenses (differential from 1D X plus proceeds from sale of 5DII).  But it would depend on how much of an upgrade the AF got, and probably also how improved the 1D X's ISO performance really is - Canon has claimed 2 stops for JPGs over the 1DIV, but then they've also claimed, "A new photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera."  So, which is it?  If it's two real stops of improvements due to sensor enhancements and thus reflected in the RAW files...an ISO 12800 that delivers similar noise as ISO 3200 on the 5DII would incline me to the 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leonedolci

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
I am thinking another way around.

Could it be a sort of "7D" (means strong AF and hi-speed) with APS-H sensor?

- 7D is deemed as a lesser competitor vs. D300s due to AF and hi-ISO performance, hence the limited pricing space
 - the old 1D series is gone for good and Canon has all the matured APS-H design and manufacture capability.
 - if Nikon release a D800 with super high MP as rumored then Nikon has to fill the ~$2500 price tier with an APS body. A good 16MP APS-C sensor with 3500DX AF module is hard to beat for any 7D with small evolution.

Imagine 7D2 with modified 1D4 sensor:
 - Better IQ vs. any APS-C sensor + comparable fast AF vs. new Dxxx = higher pricing power vs. Nikon APS flagship.
 - support real Super35 format for budget video makers.
 - low tech risk and comparatively low capital investment for an impressing new model in this line.

This is 2012, olympic year. I do think a semi-pro sports cam is a more attractive idea than upgrading hi-MP stills camera.

Just my 2cents.

- Leone

tt

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Would we have learnt anything if we'd seen the camera side on, showing the left hand side connections available?

D_Rochat

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
I am thinking another way around.

Could it be a sort of "7D" (means strong AF and hi-speed) with APS-H sensor?

- 7D is deemed as a lesser competitor vs. D300s due to AF and hi-ISO performance, hence the limited pricing space
 - the old 1D series is gone for good and Canon has all the matured APS-H design and manufacture capability.
 - if Nikon release a D800 with super high MP as rumored then Nikon has to fill the ~$2500 price tier with an APS body. A good 16MP APS-C sensor with 3500DX AF module is hard to beat for any 7D with small evolution.

Imagine 7D2 with modified 1D4 sensor:
 - Better IQ vs. any APS-C sensor + comparable fast AF vs. new Dxxx = higher pricing power vs. Nikon APS flagship.
 - support real Super35 format for budget video makers.
 - low tech risk and comparatively low capital investment for an impressing new model in this line.

This is 2012, olympic year. I do think a semi-pro sports cam is a more attractive idea than upgrading hi-MP stills camera.

Just my 2cents.

- Leone

There you go being all logical.... You're going to anger all the crazy 7D APC-S fanatics by talking like that.  :P

I thought it was a Sony  :o

fred_jb

Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Aspect ratio speculation
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »
I'd like to pick up on something mentioned in the original post - namely the apparent change in aspect ratio of the rear display.  I've downloaded the RAW and this is clearly not due to distortion as the wheel and buttons all look perfectly circular.  While looking at this and comparing to my own 5D II I also thought that the viewfinder was somewhat elongated.

Could this mean that the sensor actually has something other than a 3:2 aspect ratio, and is therefore even more biased towards video?

Fred
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:41:32 PM by fred_jb »

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
Seems to me that 5D3 would be introduced well before a 7D2.   At least it's due sooner.   

The aspect ratio (looks to be 16x9) of the LCD strongly suggests video is a key priority of the new camera.

I'd like to see a new 5D3 with the following:

FF 21 mp
same batteries as 5D2 and 7D
AF performance at least as good as the 7D
improved IQ in low light
double-exposure mode like new 1D X
option for 3, 5, or 7 shots in auto-bracketing mode

5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
Seems to me that 5D3 would be introduced well before a 7D2.   At least it's due sooner.   

The aspect ratio (looks to be 16x9) of the LCD strongly suggests video is a key priority of the new camera.

I'd like to see a new 5D3 with the following:

FF 21 mp
same batteries as 5D2 and 7D
AF performance at least as good as the 7D
improved IQ in low light
double-exposure mode like new 1D X
option for 3, 5, or 7 shots in auto-bracketing mode

Exactly as me :-)

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

I thought it was a Sony  :o
[/quote]

It's clearly a Ricoh clone of a Canon camera.
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »