July 31, 2014, 10:00:42 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup  (Read 36202 times)

maciej.urbanski

Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
3x3 oversampling is more a curse than a blessing in RGB sensor with Bayer filter matrix.
Let's consider 6x6 block of pixels that will be downsampled to 2x2 pixels for video:

GRG RGR
BGB GBG
GRG RGR

BGB GBG
GRG RGR
BGB GBG

Statistics for those points are:
  • upper left: 2R, 5G, 2B
  • upper right: 4R, 4G, 1B
  • lower left: 1R, 4G, 4B
  • lower right: 2R, 5G, 2B

From years of experience in image processing algorithms i can honestly tell you - this is no picnic. It would be better to just use 2x2 oversampling like in C300 (http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/EOS_C300_New_35mm_CMOS_Sensor_WP.pdf, figures 5,6 on pages 8,9).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:23:02 PM by maciej.urbanski »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I think is integrated

Well, no, it's not.  But if you think it's integrated, what do you think that knurled thumbwheel on the grip with "lock" printed next to it will unlock if turned in the direction opposite the arrow? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I think is integrated

Well, no, it's not.  But if you think it's integrated, what do you think that knurled thumbwheel on the grip with "lock" printed next to it will unlock if turned in the direction opposite the arrow?

a magical megapixel dial?
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
It has a battery grip, the left end appears to be where the battery is inserted, but its only a guess.  See crops below.

The controls on the left make the camera look like its definitely a video tool.  I wonder if that blue logo is for sending the memory card contents to the network?

There is a image of a bird on the screen, as well as a overlay for control setting on the right side.  it took a little work in lightroom to pull it up.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:27:20 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
Seems to me that 5D3 would be introduced well before a 7D2.   At least it's due sooner.

Based on what?  An n=2 for the 5-series and an n=1 for the 7-series?  One point isn't even enough for a trendline...

There you go being all logical.... You're going to anger all the crazy 7D APC-S fanatics by talking like that.  :P

There won't be a 7-series with APS-H.  Too confusing for EF-S compatibility.  Does anyone really want to consult a table or other resource to determine which lenses will work with which bodies?  Would any manufacturer push out such a confusing system to make things more complex for their customers?  I mean, there's absolutely no precedent for that...   ::)

But, nothing preculdes another line for a semi-pro APS-H camera...

Sure, why not?  Just call it a 3D...

I'm all for a semi-pro/enthusiast sports cam with APS-H - think of it as the spiritual successor to 1D/7D.  Just make sure it can AF at F8, similar to 7D for frame-rate/AF system and the 5DII or better for ISO and price around $3-3.5K - I guarantee the wildlife guys/birders will come in droves  ;D

edit: Hmmm, on second thought, maybe closer to $2.7K would be the sweet spot for such a camera.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:43:29 PM by Dianoda »
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
Comparing those pics with the 7D, it appears they switched the styles button with the rate button... ehhh... guess for me it will be the new direct print button joke... shifting the info button up next to menu... ok... I wonder what that top corner button is that looks like a paint brush... perhaps it will have in-camera editing/cropping, etc...?  I also wonder IF you load batteries in the side of the grip like others have suggested, if it will accept 1 battery or 2 or if it would have a new batter for the grip like the 1d series battery? 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »
Yep, the LCD definitely isn't blank.

Oh, it looks like Mt. Spokane beat me to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »

marius

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »

I think is integrated

Of course, the battery grip is integrated and not the battery itself. Therefore it has to be a "lock" there. Its not on the left but in the middle.
Here is on the left:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK4/ZBATT-L.JPG
If not ... how do you explain that is no delimitation between the camera itself and the grip?
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=8b9fcb-1327434732.jpg
If this is o battery grip or WIFI or GPS, this was not the main point.
The main poit is that the 5D Mark-s have no (integrated) grip at all.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »
If not ... how do you explain that is no delimitation between the camera itself and the grip?

There's not?  What's that by his thumb?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mkln

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »

I think is integrated

Of course, the battery grip is integrated and not the battery itself. Therefore it has to be a "lock" there. Its not on the left but in the middle.
Here is on the left:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK4/ZBATT-L.JPG
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=8b9fcb-1327434732.jpg
If this is o battery grip or WIFI or GPS, this was not the main point.
The main poit is that the 5D Mark-s have no (integrated) grip at all.

Nah, the design of all grip-included cameras is different from this one. They are completely flat there (with an LCD screen)
This looks just like the 7d / 5d with grip.
Also you can see the separation - the line that goes from one side to the other is just where the body ends and the grip begins.
Also, the lock and the screw
Also, my question on the battery is due to how I remember wifi grips are: they don't substitute the battery (never owned one though,but this is not the point anyway)

I think the confusion comes from the picture being taken at an angle such that the body shadows the grip a little and you can't perfectly see the separation.

mkln

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »
By the way, you guys were talking about EOS cinema..
But wasn't the EOS cinema camera in development supposed to be 4K?

How does the 3x3 thingythingy work with 4K?

lecoupdejarnac

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
I think the most surprising detail is the lack of a flip-out LCD screen.  I would've expected both a 5DIII or a 7DII to have that.  If this camera has a strong emphasis on video, wouldn't a flip-out LCD be a great feature for video?

And the 7D currently competes with the 60D because of similar sensor performance.  I would expect a 7D successor to have a flip-out LCD to stand tall above the XXD line.

I also think it seems unlikely that they would take away the pop-up flash for a 7D successor.  Yes, they are no substitute for an external flashgun but work great for fill-in when traveling light.

marius

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

... maybe an ergonomic gap for the thumb?! I dont know.
I can't see whats behind the thumb. Do you?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »

Craig Richardson

• Power Shot G16
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »

Marius, are you insisting that the grip is a permanent part of the body?  I clearly see the separation between the grip and the body and the big locking wheel.
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »

The arrow is pointing to the crack between the camera and the battery grip. But even that isn't as telling as the wheel. Have you ever used a camera with a battery grip? Every one of them has a wheel exactly like the one on this grip that is used to attach and tighten the grip to the body.

This is like arguing about whether or not this camera is digital or film... It clearly is just a battery grip.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »