November 28, 2014, 02:36:36 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup  (Read 38962 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
Every one of them has a wheel exactly like the one on this grip that is used to attach and tighten the grip to the body.

This is like arguing about whether or not this camera is digital or film... It clearly is just a battery grip.

But this is a whole new camera.  Maybe the lock wheel unlocks something completely different.  The pearly gates, the door to the 5th dimension, heck, maybe they've decided to change over to a new thread mount for all their lenses, called EF-T, and this locking wheel is what you need to turn to unmount the lens.  It's pure coincidence that it's the same type of wheel and in the same place as on every other Canon battery grip.  There is no line separating the grip from the body.  There are five lights, not four.  Clearly, we can see what we want. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

2likru

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

I posted on another thread, but will ask the question here as well: if the autofocus is the only major upgrade, is that enough for people to buy the 5DIII?

The answer to your question is yes. That is why I am positive that the new 5d will have the 7d's autofocus and pretty much everything else about the 7d's viewfinder and ergonomics. Everything else could be questioned including the megapixel count (I'm betting 18mp), the DR improvement, the noise improvement, and dust and weather sealing.  Actually, I'm pretty sure a new 5d model will not have dust and weather sealing.

marius

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
Maybe, maybe ...

On the other hand, I still believe that this is not a 5D Mark III. Is remain the argument that the "focal plane mark" is on the right side and not the left side.
And why would 5D Mark III be tested with a 200-400 lens and a 600 lens (wildlife too)?! This suits better to a really fast focus camera like 7D or something new.

canonds

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »

But this is a whole new camera.  Maybe the lock wheel unlocks something completely different.  The pearly gates, the door to the 5th dimension, heck, maybe they've decided to change over to a new thread mount for all their lenses, called EF-T, and this locking wheel is what you need to turn to unmount the lens.  It's pure coincidence that it's the same type of wheel and in the same place as on every other Canon battery grip.  There is no line separating the grip from the body.  There are five lights, not four.  Clearly, we can see what we want.
[/quote]

You mean there's a 4th dimension!!?? I gotta catch up on my dimensions....
lol...what wit!

Hi all, just joined.  Sure am enjoying reading all the interesting points of view on the idendity of the new body.

But i have to say - its so not an integrated grip...

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
Maybe, maybe ...

On the other hand, I still believe that this is not a 5D Mark III. Is remain the argument that the "focal plane mark" is on the right side and not the left side.
And why would 5D Mark III be tested with a 200-400 lens and a 600 lens (wildlife too)?! This suits better to a really fast focus camera like 7D or something new.

If, like the vast majority of us want, it's a 5Dm3 with a vastly improved AF system (7D or better), that would then give the fast focusing system you're talking about.

Note, I'm not a wildlife shooter, so I don't really know if they prefer crop or FF cameras, but I do have the 5Dm2. And am very much wishing for a much improved AF system.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Maybe, maybe ...

Who is to say that the 5DIII won't be a fast focusing camera? Maybe faster than the 7D since a 5DIII prototype would actually be newer than the 7D.

I've heard people talk about the focal plane mark before. And I just don't understand that argument. It's not a critical factor of a FF camera. Canon could certainly put the focal place mark on the bottom of the camera if they wanted to. It really doesn't matter where it is. Heck, are we going to argue that the T3i and the 7D can't have the same sensor because they have different looking focal plane marks? Oh, the T3i's is just a dash but the 7D's has a circle on it! What does it mean?!
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

2likru

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
Every one of them has a wheel exactly like the one on this grip that is used to attach and tighten the grip to the body.

This is like arguing about whether or not this camera is digital or film... It clearly is just a battery grip.

And I present you sir with the laugh of the day award.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
Maybe, maybe ...

Wildlife photography was done well before autofocus, let alone "fast" autofocus was invented.  The fact they are making pictures of birds does not disqualify this as being a 5D mk iii.  Your implication that long lenses have no place on full frame cameras is perplexing.
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
There does not seem to be a lot of info trickling down to Craig on the ISO performance of this new camera.  Could this mean the 5DmkII replacement will get a pro-grade AF, maybe a slightly newer sensor, surely some improved video stuff but could retain the existing ISO performance, such that the 1DX is the ISO champion for Canon as well as the speed demon!

Anyone with thoughts on this one?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The only thing Canon has to "fix" on the 5DII is the autofocus. They could probably even get away with recycling the current sensor (not saying they will, just that they could). I also agree that they will add some video improvements (I think Canon was shocked by how popular the 5DII became for low-budget video and they want to keep that market satisfied. It may amount to a small percentage of their buyers now, but the growth pattern is far healthier than the DSLR still market.)

I posted on another thread, but will ask the question here as well: if the autofocus is the only major upgrade, is that enough for people to buy the 5DIII?

Frame rate and response are painfully slow though, worse than the 40D and 50D. With 1DX at 12-14fps they have lots of room to bump 5 series up to full 50D speed certainly.

maciej.urbanski

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
I've played some with Photoshop.

Basically I've tried to distort image of alleged mk3 and layer it on top of mk2.
It's far from perfect 5min hackjob, but it seems that it is in fact mk3. most button positions match, LCD dimensions are the same... I'm optimistic.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »
Is remain the argument that the "focal plane mark" is on the right side and not the left side.

I've heard people talk about the focal plane mark before. And I just don't understand that argument. It's not a critical factor of a FF camera. Canon could certainly put the focal place mark on the bottom of the camera if they wanted to. It really doesn't matter where it is. Heck, are we going to argue that the T3i and the 7D can't have the same sensor because they have different looking focal plane marks? Oh, the T3i's is just a dash but the 7D's has a circle on it! What does it mean?!

Also, the battery level indicator on the top LCD is on the right side instead of the left side. Eureka!  Canon is releasing a new line of cameras specifically designed for left-handed people. Of course, that probably means they'll have to rename their L series lenses as well, so we don't confuse those as working only on this new left-handed camera.  Apologies if anyone finds that argument too sinister.   ::)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
once again, the "having video makes this camera worse for stills" argument
I completely disagree

I do not think including video itself makes it 'worse', but pointing out that video is not just a 'free' feature.  It eats development time, it eats limited resources on the camera, it eats testing time, it effects design decisions the impact the still photo side.  To a limited degree, this is a zero sum case and, if the body did not include video, the same amount of resources being put into it likely would have produced a better still camera.

OTOH they seem to be putting all the effort they can into stills AF and sensor tech anyway and all the rest of the body stuff is really all just down to marketing. They had way more tech than went into the 5D2, they just didn't use it. So I don't think video has really caused much suffering for stills (only possibly thing might be they need super fast reads for video and that might impact sensor design, although for the high speed 1 series at 14fps it might not matter much there).

Naturally it could be argued that the increase in sales/demand for a dual purpose camera out weighs this and TBH I have no idea if it does or not.

Some have claimed the 5D2 actually sold many more copies as a video priority camera than a pure stills priority camera so perhaps, who knows.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:56:44 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

oktaydotca

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
I don't think this is a full-frame sensor camera. And so, no 5D Mark III ...
First, this camera has the battery grip integrated - the 5D Mark I (II) has not.
Second, I noticed that the "focal plane mark" is white and on the right side. All full frames camera (even 1D), 1D-s and 5D-s, have the mark on the left side.
I think this may be a 7D mark II OR a totally new camera, but not a 5D Mark III  :-\

Focal plane mark
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=d64387-1327427629.jpg

The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I wonder tho where you insert the batteries.
Could it be a wifi grip?

I think is integrated:
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=411be0-1327429194.jpg

... but something like this (on the left side):
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS1DMarkIV/Images/battery.jpg

Ugh it almost does look integrated, my worst nightmare.
It will do everything perfectly, except once again only in forced brick size. :(
Why would cinema camera have built-in grip, so this may also point against it being cinema camera.
Maybe it is the digital EOS 3, but they forget the EOS 3 was EOS 3 because it could be made nice and light and small.

EDIT: HAH, wait but what about the detachable grip wheel and lock? Why on earth would it have those if it was built-in that makes no sense at all. It has to be detachable. It must just be a jpg smoothing artifact covering the seam or something.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:44:44 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?

Did you not notice that they were also testing those lenses, or at least the 200-400mm, on the 1D X - that's a full frame camera, isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:47:01 PM by neuroanatomist »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »