November 27, 2014, 11:36:29 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup  (Read 38941 times)

oktaydotca

Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?

Did you not noticed that they were also testing those lenses, or at least the 200-400mm, on the 1D X - that's a full frame camera, isn't it?

1DX is dual mode camera no?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?

Did you not noticed that they were also testing those lenses, or at least the 200-400mm, on the 1D X - that's a full frame camera, isn't it?

If you mean it has a built in crop feature like the Nikon, no.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »
3x3 oversampling is more a curse than a blessing in RGB sensor with Bayer filter matrix.
Let's consider 6x6 block of pixels that will be downsampled to 2x2 pixels for video:

GRG RGR
BGB GBG
GRG RGR

BGB GBG
GRG RGR
BGB GBG

Statistics for those points are:
  • upper left: 2R, 5G, 2B
  • upper right: 4R, 4G, 1B
  • lower left: 1R, 4G, 4B
  • lower right: 2R, 5G, 2B

From years of experience in image processing algorithms i can honestly tell you - this is no picnic. It would be better to just use 2x2 oversampling like in C300 (http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/EOS_C300_New_35mm_CMOS_Sensor_WP.pdf, figures 5,6 on pages 8,9).

Yeah, as even Canon has said they want ideal video to be done from either 2x2 or 4x4 sampling only.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
I’ve taken really accurate measurements of the distance of the focal plane mark to the LCD screen and I can say with absolute confidence that this is not a film camera……  ::)

marius

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Wildlife photography was done well before autofocus, let alone "fast" autofocus was invented.  The fact they are making pictures of birds does not disqualify this as being a 5D mk iii.
Indeed.
Your implication that long lenses have no place on full frame cameras is perplexing.
"No place .." are your words. I only said it suits better with a faster focus camera.
By the way, I use my Canon 5D Mark II with long lenses for wildlife and I know what this mean.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I think is integrated

Well, no, it's not.  But if you think it's integrated, what do you think that knurled thumbwheel on the grip with "lock" printed next to it will unlock if turned in the direction opposite the arrow?

Of course, the battery grip is integrated and not the battery itself. Therefore it has to be a "lock" there. Its not on the left but in the middle.
Here is on the left:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK4/ZBATT-L.JPG
If not ... how do you explain that is no delimitation between the camera itself and the grip?
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=8b9fcb-1327434732.jpg
If this is o battery grip or WIFI or GPS, this was not the main point.
The main poit is that the 5D Mark-s have no (integrated) grip at all.

Because that photo was processed weird. Looking at a better version, you can see that under the overhang it is possible there is a seam, although it seems to be a nicer fit than all the other external grips.
And you wouldn't lock the battery in with that sort of dial there.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
Do we have a better idea on when we will see this camera or is it still 'might be any time from February to Photokina'?..

Anyone with past experience who could take a qualified guess?

Cheers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »

oktaydotca

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
The grip on this camera is not intregrated. Let's agree on that.
The battery seems to be loaded from the sides though (which is seems to be a new design for 5D or 7D).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
I think the most surprising detail is the lack of a flip-out LCD screen.  I would've expected both a 5DIII or a 7DII to have that.  If this camera has a strong emphasis on video, wouldn't a flip-out LCD be a great feature for video?

And the 7D currently competes with the 60D because of similar sensor performance.  I would expect a 7D successor to have a flip-out LCD to stand tall above the XXD line.

I also think it seems unlikely that they would take away the pop-up flash for a 7D successor.  Yes, they are no substitute for an external flashgun but work great for fill-in when traveling light.

I think it hints that it will be every bit as stills oriented as it is video oriented. A really solid all rounder, better than 7D AF, 40D/50D speed+, video at least as good as on the 1DX with a few things that make it easier than the 1DX to use as a video camera perhaps. Only perhaps lacking in effective reach and max detail if it is a 1dX sensor re-use. Then the 5DX2 does it all by adding in the high MP some years down the line.

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
Apologies if anyone finds that argument too sinister.   ::)

Pun of the day!
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »
Maybe, maybe ...

On the other hand, I still believe that this is not a 5D Mark III. Is remain the argument that the "focal plane mark" is on the right side and not the left side.
And why would 5D Mark III be tested with a 200-400 lens and a 600 lens (wildlife too)?! This suits better to a really fast focus camera like 7D or something new.

Who says this won't focus as fast or faster and better than the 7D?

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »

I don't think so and what would it matter? It won't magically squeeze 18MP in APS_C size area and get more effective reach. And also note they were using 600mm not 300mm  ;D.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
I’ve taken really accurate measurements of the distance of the focal plane mark to the LCD screen and I can say with absolute confidence that this is not a film camera……  ::)

I believe it may, in fact, be a mirror-less 5/8th system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »

marius

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »

Who says this will focus as fast or faster and better than the 7D?

Craig Richardson

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • In the Circle of Confusion
    • View Profile
    • Craig Richardson Photography
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

Who says this will focus as fast or faster and better than the 7D?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Toronto based Photographer and IT Consultant
@c_richardson       www.CraigRichardson.ca

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »