September 20, 2014, 08:32:36 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup  (Read 37182 times)

libertyranger

Re: 5D Mark III (or other) Followup
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I think is integrated

Well, no, it's not.  But if you think it's integrated, what do you think that knurled thumbwheel on the grip with "lock" printed next to it will unlock if turned in the direction opposite the arrow?

That moves the Island. :P

hahaha, yes! Canon has finally included the frozen donkey wheel!
+1
The spotted japanese guy Is actually Benjamin Linus ;)

Winning!  I almost burst out loud laughing when I read that (had to keep it in though because I'm in class) :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

mkln

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?
otherwise no other photographer could take pics of the prototype..

btw what about 4k video?
wasnt the canon cinema camera supposed to have it?

mhunt

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
I say it is a 7D successor (or 5DIII has now crop abilities). Otherwise why would they test their longest lenses 200-400 and 600mm on a full frame camera?
otherwise no other photographer could take pics of the prototype..

btw what about 4k video?

C300 is not 4k much to many's disappointment.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
The battery grip is not integrated, the dented thing under the LCD is the attachment screw between body and grip

I think is integrated

Well, no, it's not.  But if you think it's integrated, what do you think that knurled thumbwheel on the grip with "lock" printed next to it will unlock if turned in the direction opposite the arrow?

+1

Winning!  I almost burst out loud laughing when I read that (had to keep it in though because I'm in class) :)

Indeed!!! ;D
What is truth?

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
btw what about 4k video?

C300 is not 4k much to many's disappointment.

Could be indeed the new Cinema DSLR but I would be surprised they would be so advanced in its development however.  If I recall last October they mention they would eventually make one but would not expect it right away.  The cool thing would be a 4k camera mean it would have 36+MP for sure, so a good head to head battle for the high MP lovers and competitor to the D800!

I think we are too early for this one, but we cant rule it out either!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:03 AM »
Wow! This thing set off a speculative shitstorm! :o

I'm curious why anyone thinks its a 5D III/X or 7D II at all? I would imagine that Canon prototypes a whole lot of possibilities before settling on one particular prototype they will actually mass manufacture. Could this not simply be "Prototypical Option ABC", being tested in a variety of real-world situations against real-world subjects? There are some interesting changes to button layout (magnifying glass on the left side, quick access button moved near the back dial...which IMO is a WAY better spot for it), and some intriguing new buttons like the paint brush (maybe just an alternative icon for picture style...or maybe something wholly new like in-camera editing?)

Anyway...I just think its not necessarily a slam dunk that the camera in question is actually THE successor for either the 5D II or 7D. I think its just as, if not more, plausible its simply an experimental prototype that Canon is using to test out new tech and options. It could be an option for either the 5D III or 7D II, or maybe the mythical 3D...or an even more mythical 9D (APS-H sports body?) Seems logical to me that Canon would be prototyping all the time, in every situation and combination possible. Hell, it might even be some special body they use for testing out lenses, and is never intended to be a production-grade camera at all. ;-)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Neeneko

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »
Some have claimed the 5D2 actually sold many more copies as a video priority camera than a pure stills priority camera so perhaps, who knows.

This would not surprise me... though I suspect what is happening now is since the 5D2 did so well as a dual use someone in upper management has mandated that all models be dual use now... which means all cameras are video recorders, yet they just produced a new video-only device.

This type of 'X did really well, convert everything to X!' can really hurt a product line long term.. if they are not careful their whole line will become 'video, some with still capture capability'.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »

marius

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »

I think is integrated

+1

Indeed!!! ;D

Hehehe  ;D
Well, if you turn it in the opposite direction, your Canon will "transform" in Conan ... the destroyer  :P

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
This type of 'X did really well, convert everything to X!' can really hurt a product line long term.. if they are not careful their whole line will become 'video, some with still capture capability'.

If they are not careful...but I think Canon is pretty well tuned in to their markets, and I doubt they would make such a major mistake.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »
Isn't it Ironic that the new camera gear was spotted using camera gear. 

Canon "Even we can't hide from our amazing lenses"

Randl

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »
I'd prefer to see 16-24MP, good DD, colours and low-ISO performance instead of low-light, 14fps and great video in of the new FF cameras(5D3 or 3D)

cmac

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2012, 04:34:02 AM »
Hi, just to be quick - looking at the usual bayer pattern, I find it difficult for anyone to see what 3x3 could have GOOD in it.

OK. First 3x3 has 5 greens and then 2 reds and 2 blues, next 3x3 has 4 reds 4 greens and 1 blue...
Then the Processor would go wild in balancing these pixels. I thing that this is too much for the modern CPU's to handle.
The better way it should work is : RAW -> De-Bayer -> Scale. Much more simple for hardware implementation. Better parallelised.
The biggest effort could be to pack 2x2, 4x4, 6x6 etc. Still the reading from the sensor should be organized accordingly.

As for having a 5D MKIII or whatever with 22 MP -> Backlit CMOS could lead to much lower noise at higher iso.
If they provide 22 MP with much better noise, better pixel quality and Dynamic range - i'm in.

Flake

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »

If they are not careful...but I think Canon is pretty well tuned in to their markets, and I doubt they would make such a major mistake.

I have a slightly different take, that Canon is pretty well tuned in to its accounting needs.  It knows that DSLR sales are slowing after phenomenal early uptake, and that improvements are now incremental rather than the massive leaps of earlier days.  This is why I believe that we are seeing huge price increases on new like for like products, I also believe that the materials being used are cheaper than those they replace, (plastic bodies replacing alloy on long lenses?).

Hopefully the 5D MkII replacement will address those shortcomings that almost everyone complains about, especially the autofocus, and for that reason alone I think the replacement will be a big seller, but it might well be the last one that is.  I am hearing a lot of Nikon users saying that they are not going to upgrade to the D4, still more have concerns over the file sizes which will result from a 36MP sensor in a possible D800, so large that stock libraries will not accept them without downsizing.

For me I'd upgrade from the 5D MkII if the only change was a decent autofocus (providing it doesn't cost the earth), anything else is a bonus, 21MP is enough for all the applications I have and if I really really need more I can hire a MF camera.  22MP would be a nice size, particularly if noise & dynamic range are improved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »

willrobb

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »
On safari, long tele-zoom....hope whatever the guy was using had better AF than the current 5DmkII ;)

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »
new left-handed camera.  Apologies if anyone finds that argument too sinister.   ::)
only those who are maladroit...     (argh, argh)

More smites for this?!  C'mon guys- sinister is latin for left-handed, maladroit is a commonly-borrowed french term for the same attribute. Sheesh, have a sense of humour...  :(
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »