July 31, 2014, 02:39:55 AM

Author Topic: Hot / stuck pixels on new 5d II  (Read 8649 times)

Canonmobile

Re: Hot / stuck pixels on new 5d II
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »
My input is not a solution but an illustration of hot pixels.
I took my 5dm2 to the beach last summer in July (Virginia Beach). My friend and I were doing some experiments in long exposures at night and the temperature was around 90-degrees.
The evening's experiments started out fine, but the longer we were there and the longer we set our exposures the more hot pixels we had.
By the end of the evening, I bet there were a hundred hot pixels. Our experiment failed, but our education about hot pixels was interesting.
The hot pixels were gone and have never come back....they weren't there before either. The ambient temperature and the long exposures were the culprit. As stated above....you have to learn to live with occasional hot pixels. Of course, if they are there in optimum circumstances...you might want to have them checked out and remapped during the warranty period.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »

WillShootPhotos

• Power Shot G16
  • 1D4 - 5D3 gripped - Lots of L glass...
    • View Profile
    • Will Shoot Photography
This quick and easy fix has worked for me and lots of others...
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 04:58:57 PM »
...no need to send the camera back, just do this fix. Found this back in 2008 for a 40D but has worked on other bodies since...

• Remove the lens and put the body cap in place on the camera
  • Put the camera in to "manual sensor cleaning mode". It is the same for both the 40D and 50D - Press the "Menu" button, then select the middle "yellow wrench" tab, then "Sensor Cleaning" then "Clean Manually".
  • You will hear the click of the mirror coming up (so you *could* be using a swab on the sensor - but don't do that - leave the body cap in place).
  • Leave the camera in this mode for 30-60 seconds, I kept it this way for closer to 60 seconds.
  • Power off the camera off - you should hear another click as the mirror drops down into place

Can read more here - but the fix is above...
http://blog.willshootphotography.com/2008/10/canon-50d-hot-p.html

Good luck!

- Will

Tijn

Re: This quick and easy fix has worked for me and lots of others...
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
...no need to send the camera back, just do this fix. Found this back in 2008 for a 40D but has worked on other bodies since...

• Remove the lens and put the body cap in place on the camera
  • Put the camera in to "manual sensor cleaning mode". It is the same for both the 40D and 50D - Press the "Menu" button, then select the middle "yellow wrench" tab, then "Sensor Cleaning" then "Clean Manually".
  • You will hear the click of the mirror coming up (so you *could* be using a swab on the sensor - but don't do that - leave the body cap in place).
  • Leave the camera in this mode for 30-60 seconds, I kept it this way for closer to 60 seconds.
  • Power off the camera off - you should hear another click as the mirror drops down into place

Can read more here - but the fix is above...
http://blog.willshootphotography.com/2008/10/canon-50d-hot-p.html

Good luck!

- Will

Hurray indeed. I just got a new 60D camera, also a hot pixel in it, quite visible in video and some pictures. Did this thing (for me, I kept the mirror up for closer to 35 seconds), powered off, mirror moved back into place. Powering back up, hot pixel gone. Lovely :-)
Probably want to block the viewfinder as well while doing this though, to prevent any stray light coming in.

christodoulidesd

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
Wow! Can't thank you enough! Have a brand new 7d and had a white dead pixel ontop of the videos (1080p) on the left and it disappeared! Here's what i did:

Like i read above:

Put the camera in manual mode.
Set iso to 1600-3200, let it warm up for 2-3min (only first time)
Remove lens and put body cap on.
Turn off the camera.
Remove battery and put it back in.

1.keep the body cap on
2.set your camera to manual sensor cleaning
3.keep it on for 10 to 20 sec. (I left it for about 20 seconds)
4.turn it off

DONE! Can't thank you enough!

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
May wind up wishing you could trade back for this only 7 hot pixel one.  7 sounds great lol.

city_zen

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
A few months ago I was trying to fix some hot pixels on my humble EOS 550D (actually a Rebel T2i, since it was bought in the USA). I had discovered those hot pixels while shooting video, where they are more evident than on stills.
While searching for solutions, I came across  an old but still working little utility that's ideal for testing your camera's sensor for hot and dead pixels:

Dead Pixel Test

It's simple, small and free. Above all, it works

I used to test for hot and dead pixels before and after trying one of the manual sensor cleaning tricks described above.

netoaimar

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
I'm new here, and I've been looking for a solution to my problem when I found this forum.

Last october I bought a new Mark II and was very happy with it. I use it for work, filming everything from tv ads to weddings.

This last week something came up on my screen. Some purple dots appeared on the center top of my images. It is visible not only in my photos or videos, but also when you turn on the camera on live view. And it appears with any lens I use.

Is this what you guys call hot/stuck pixel?

Here's a photo for you to see.
At first they look like black dots of smudge, but if you zoom in to its original size or more, you can see they're purple/reddish.
http://s23.postimage.org/y8z7ndo4p/camera01.jpg

I read about laser damage to the cmos, but all images I found are very diferent from what I have.
I tried the sensor cleaning option on the camera, but it didn't do anything for me. Do stuck/hot pixels only appears after the photo is shot or is it already visible in the lcd in live view mode?

Can anyone help me? I'm going crazy here...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
I'm new here, and I've been looking for a solution to my problem when I found this forum.

Last october I bought a new Mark II and was very happy with it. I use it for work, filming everything from tv ads to weddings.

This last week something came up on my screen. Some purple dots appeared on the center top of my images. It is visible not only in my photos or videos, but also when you turn on the camera on live view. And it appears with any lens I use.

Is this what you guys call hot/stuck pixel?

Here's a photo for you to see.
At first they look like black dots of smudge, but if you zoom in to its original size or more, you can see they're purple/reddish.
http://s23.postimage.org/y8z7ndo4p/camera01.jpg

I read about laser damage to the cmos, but all images I found are very diferent from what I have.
I tried the sensor cleaning option on the camera, but it didn't do anything for me. Do stuck/hot pixels only appears after the photo is shot or is it already visible in the lcd in live view mode?

Can anyone help me? I'm going crazy here...

You can ask Canon to fix the camera.  They will merely map out the bad pixels so they no longer show up.  As time goes on, its possible that more will appear.  Its not a big issue for still images, since noise reduction removes them easily, but it is a problem for video.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »