October 21, 2014, 04:48:15 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 70D... not a new question...  (Read 15434 times)

EOS

Canon EOS 70D... not a new question...
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
Hello,

I'm new here and I'm from Iran. I just wanted to ask a question that is answered although it's new!

My question is: does it worth to a person who needs a camera like 60D this summer to wait for the 70D? and Is the speed of the Digic5 processor that much fast that makes people and photographers feel upgrading their old "Digic4-equipped" camera to the one that has a Digic5 processor?
(Please note that I'm not talking about the Digic5+ here)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:01:05 AM by EOS »

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 70D... not a new question...
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

Tijn

Re: Canon EOS 70D... not a new question...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »
Depends on several questions, most (if not all) related to you.

- What do you need and/or want in a new camera?

- Does the current version camera have all of that?

If it does:
- Do you have the money to buy it? (If not, then you'll have to wait regardless, and ask yourself this question again later.)

If it doesn't:
- Can you afford to wait for this functionality for an unknown period of time, without any upgrade at all?

To help specify this decision, keep the time scale of new products in mind. Rumours can come and pass without any actual updates. Announcements made by Canon indicate that it will arrive, but usually it is a couple of months before it actually hits the markets, and another 2-3 months before the price drops enough and it's actually available in stores. On top of that, for the 70D specifically, it's more than likely that a 7D-line upgrade will have to come first (or at the same time). Currently, even rumor-wise, there isn't much of anything about a 70D yet. It might take a while.

For me personally, as I'm also considering the 60D or 'waiting for an upgrade'...
- What do I need in an upgrade?
I want an ISO upgrade to my current 1600 max (EOS 350D), increased burst rate, increased resolution (8Mpx currently), better AF, video recording and perhaps weathersealing.

- Does the current version camera have all of that?
The current 60D has all of that. Of course, 6400 ISO (although it is a full 2 stop ISO increase) starts to look a bit unimpressive compared to the new full frame flagship (1D X) that goes up to 51200 native ISO. Considering sensor upgrades in the next version, it's more than likely that a 70D upgrade would offer an even bigger ISO upgrade.

But I shouldn't let this "extra ISO upgrade that might be incoming" stop me from buying a 60D. A 2 stops ISO increase is a large upgrade. If I wait for the 70D, the upgrade might be 3 or 4 stops in ISO performance, but waiting for it would mean not having any upgrade on all those points (ISO, resolution, AF, video, etc.), for probably well over half a year. In my case, it's pretty clear: I can't afford waiting an unknown period of time.

And if after a year the 70D is in stores, I can consider selling my 60D body with still 1 year warranty on it for a 70D if it really is that much better. I'd lose a little bit of money in the process, but that's 1 year with a very big upgrade that was well worth paying for.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:50:54 AM by Tijn »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
Generally speaking, the more frequent the upgrades to a line, the less significant the upgrade.  The xxxD line is updated every year, changes are usually minor.  Sometimes, though, a minor feature is important to you - for example, the articulating screen for some people.   The xxD line gets updated at approximately 18-24 months.  The 70D is something of a mystery at this point - Canon seems to have altered the positioning of the xxD line with the 60D.  The 'upgrade path' from the 50D wasn't the 60D, it was the 7D, and the 60D was made into a 'super Rebel' camera (based on features, at least). 

Tijn summarized the choices very well...what it comes down to is if you need it now, get it now, and if you can afford to wait, something better will be along someday soon.  Something better will always be along someday soon, though...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
About Digic V.  It has the additional processing power to do a better job of in-camera processing of jpeg images.  Not as good as you get from processing images from Raw in a computer, but if you use jpeg output, their will be cleaner images with less apparent noise.

We will likely see things like USB 3, and new batteries, and tweaks to video capability.  Don't expect a lot.  Hope for AFMA capability.

Tijn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
About Digic V.  It has the additional processing power to do a better job of in-camera processing of jpeg images.  Not as good as you get from processing images from Raw in a computer, but if you use jpeg output, their will be cleaner images with less apparent noise.

We will likely see things like USB 3, and new batteries, and tweaks to video capability.  Don't expect a lot.  Hope for AFMA capability.

Does the 60D need new batteries? Current 60D is rated 1100 shots with one battery, that's really very good compared to most of the other models...

EOS

# of FPS in smallest res
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
Thanks for your answers, I've read them carefully. Specially what "Tijn" and "neuroanatomist"  said were really changed my mind. The only question that is remained is that : How many frames per second does 60D take in the smallest resolution?

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: # of FPS in smallest res
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
Thanks for your answers, I've read them carefully. Specially what "Tijn" and "neuroanatomist"  said were really changed my mind. The only question that is remained is that : How many frames per second does 60D take in the smallest resolution?

5.3 fps, same as at the highest resolution.  The mirror still has to move just as far, and the whole sensor still needs to get read.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: # of FPS in smallest res
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »

EOS

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
Thanks for your help. I just want to wait till this summer.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
there is very little difference between the 600d and the 60d if you need something now get the 600d save a bunch of cash and then you can look at selling it and upgrading when the 70d come out if it gives you what you want but at least you are shooting now. there are some pretty cheap deals around on 600d cameras. if you keep waiting you will never shoot anything because the day after the 70d come out i guarantee rumours will start about the 80d :D
APS-H Fanboy

EOS

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
there is very little difference between the 600d and the 60d if you need something now get the 600d save a bunch of cash and then you can look at selling it and upgrading when the 70d come out if it gives you what you want but at least you are shooting now. there are some pretty cheap deals around on 600d cameras. if you keep waiting you will never shoot anything because the day after the 70d come out i guarantee rumours will start about the 80d :D

Yeah you're right but I don't like it's 5.3 fps shooting (for the 60D). Even a cheap bridge-camera like Fujifilm HS20 can shoot up to 11 fps! If 70D use the Digic5 processor then it'll shoot faster frames per second.

and I've searched about the differences between the 600D and the 60D and I came up with 60D because it has better handling and slightly better performance.
Also in Iran the prices are nearly same, Canon 60D is 24000 Rials (1200$) and Canon 600D is 20000 Rials (1000$) and prices are growing every day! (and that's a problem for me and other consumers!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:58:26 PM by EOS »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
Yeah you're right but I don't like it's 5.3 fps shooting (for the 60D). Even a cheap bridge-camera like Fujifilm HS20 can shoot up to 11 fps! If 70D use the Digic5 processor then it'll shoot faster frames per second.

I see.  And does the Fujifilm HS20 have a mirror that must be flipped up and down between each frame?  Consider - the 60D and 600D have the same sensor and Digic4 processor, yet the 600D has a significantly slower frame rate because the mirror/shutter mechanism is not as robust.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
im also playing the waiting game. i want to upgrade my 40D but i am waiting to see if there will be a new 7D this year. im in no rush, but at the same time i am also in a rush because you get annoyed at bad noise. solid camera though. i agree with the others though. its worth the wait to see whats up with the camera.
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

EOS

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
I see.  And does the Fujifilm HS20 have a mirror that must be flipped up and down between each frame?  Consider - the 60D and 600D have the same sensor and Digic4 processor, yet the 600D has a significantly slower frame rate because the mirror/shutter mechanism is not as robust.

Yeah... as you know better than me the HS20 is a bridge camera but the others are DSLR.
-----
im also playing the waiting game. i want to upgrade my 40D but i am waiting to see if there will be a new 7D this year. im in no rush, but at the same time i am also in a rush because you get annoyed at bad noise. solid camera though. i agree with the others though. its worth the wait to see whats up with the camera.

yes, even if I wait till the 70D comes, then the price of 60D might drop. I only wish that it come before this summer!, though.

And thanks for your recommendations and answers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
My question is: does it worth to a person who needs a camera like 60D this summer to wait for the 70D? and Is the speed of the Digic5 processor that much fast that makes people and photographers feel upgrading their old "Digic4-equipped" camera

Hmmm, on the one hand I'd wait because it /will/ be a significant upgrade, mainly in noise (allowing you to shoot in much less light) but also in processing power - I'm hoping for fun features like in-camera editing, in-camera HDR, focus peaking in live view etc.

On the other hand, when Canon introduces a new camera it's very expensive.  The new and old model then take a few months to fall in price... you may be in for a long wait for the 70D to be released only to find it's too expensive while the 60D isn't that much cheaper than it is now.

As for what I'd recommend Buy now. You (I'm guessing) have no camera and an economy that's about to be hit by more sanctions.  Buy now before inflation hits.  It'll be much cheaper and you'll be taking photographs months sooner.

p.s. irrelevant to your question, but I know three people that have travelled the world (independently of each other) and each found that the best, friendliest people on our planet are the Iranians.  I hope all goes well for you guys.

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »
The 70D may not have faster fps than the 60D.

If you need a fast framerate consider the 7D.  Or 1Dx if you can afford it...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »