November 27, 2014, 06:47:50 PM

Author Topic: 7D Mk2 ..... APS-H  (Read 27494 times)

Canon-F1

7D Mk2 ..... APS-H
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
im just thinking here....

canon said it will not abandon the APS-H sensor format.

would it make sense for canon to put an APS-H sensor in the 7D MK2?

why or why not? what do you think?

i think what speaks against it is EF-S lenses....
but on the other side it would be a nice seperation from the XXD models.

the 70D could have better AF, better body construction etc.  (*) and the 7D MK2 would still have some edge.

(*)
"better" then the 60D, close to the 7D

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:03:26 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

7D Mk2 ..... APS-H
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Mk2 ..... APS-H
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
No, it won't happen.  They could certainly come out with a new line in the xD range, better than the 7D, and using an APS-H sensor.  7D body style, better AF, and priced in the $3K range. But as you say, the EF-S compatibility issue will preclude a sensor format change in the 7-series
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

smirkypants

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
If they changed the sensor in the 7D, they wouldn't call it a 7D. It would be too confusing. If they took a 7D and plunked in an H, they'd call is something else. It would be a great camera, but it would be probably called a 3Dx, 4Dx or 6Dx.

Canon-F1

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
the 1D line had two different sensor formats.

maybe they could call it 7Ds. ;)

i dont know but for me there is something missing in the 1600-2000 euro zone.
ok the 5D MK2 (body only) is ~1699 euros here.... but it´s near it´s end of life and the new MK3 will cost much more.
a 7D MK2 will cost around 1400 euro i guess.

enough room for a FF or APS-H camera in the 1600-2000 euro range.. not?
if canon fears that it will cannibalize the 5D MK3 sales, they could cripple the video features (if you ask me they could get rid of it completely).

so lets not call it 7D.... lets say it will be a "7D body like" but with an APS-H sensor... whatever name it will have.

could the leaked photos show such a camera?

again im just playing with thoughts.... :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:09:17 AM by Canon-F1 »

smirkypants

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

The 1D line is the top of the line and any camera that Canon wants to list as Flagship will get that number. Anyone who knows enough about cameras to buy anything in that line will know what he or she is getting. Anything that isn't a flagship will be differentiated so as to avoid confusion. There is absolutely no reason to confuse people by changing the sensor in an existing line. It makes no sense from a marketing perspective.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »

Well considering they just merged the 1-series cameras it doesn't seem likely that they would branch out the 7D.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

The 1D line is the top of the line and any camera that Canon wants to list as Flagship will get that number. Anyone who knows enough about cameras to buy anything in that line will know what he or she is getting. Anything that isn't a flagship will be differentiated so as to avoid confusion. There is absolutely no reason to confuse people by changing the sensor in an existing line. It makes no sense from a marketing perspective.

Agreed 100%.  Plus there is already a 7DSV (http://www.photographybay.com/2010/08/17/canon-eos-7dsv-studio-version-announced/), which would make it incredibly confusing. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »

the 70D could have better AF, better body construction etc. and the 7D MK2 would still have some edge.

This makes no sense, the 7D has one of the best autofocus systems out of any Canon camera right now, and the 60D AF is definitely inferior.  You're saying that in one generation that the 7D will improve the AF barely any and the 70D will somehow catch up and pass the 7D?

And if the 70D had better AF and better body construction, how would a 7DII with APS-H have an edge over it?  If you're a wildlife/sports photographer it's not an edge at all.  It just doesn't make sense, right now 7D > 60D, so if they both get upgraded 7DII > 70D.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:05:59 AM by Axilrod »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:47:41 AM »

the 70D could have better AF, better body construction etc. and the 7D MK2 would still have some edge.

This makes no sense, the 7D has one of the best autofocus systems out of any Canon camera right now, and the 60D AF is definitely inferior.  You're saying that in one generation that the 7D will improve the AF barely any and the 70D will somehow catch up and pass the 7D?

And if the 70D had better AF and better body construction, how would a 7DII with APS-C have an edge over it?  If you're a wildlife/sports photographer it's not an edge at all. 

The 7D has a mighty edge precisely because of it's crop. 1.6 is a lot more reach than 1!
What is truth?

Canon-F1

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »

i say nothing like that.. read again i added something to make it more clear.

the 70D could have better AF then their predecessor (aka 60D), nearly as good as the 7D, with an APS-H sensor in the 7D MK2 there would be still enough separation in the lineup. that is what i meant.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:06:38 AM by Canon-F1 »

Gothmoth

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »
The 1D line is the top of the line and any camera that Canon wants to list as Flagship will get that number. Anyone who knows enough about cameras to buy anything in that line will know what he or she is getting.

so rebel buyers are not only cheap but also dumb?   ;)   ;D

Anything that isn't a flagship will be differentiated so as to avoid confusion. There is absolutely no reason to confuse people by changing the sensor in an existing line. It makes no sense from a marketing perspective.

let´s not focus on the name.. let´s focus on the IDEA.  ;)

a 7D like camera with an APS-H sensor for 1899 euro.
im pretty sure i would sell them.  :D

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »

And if the 70D had better AF and better body construction, how would a 7DII with APS-C have an edge over it?  If you're a wildlife/sports photographer it's not an edge at all. 

The 7D has a mighty edge precisely because of it's crop. 1.6 is a lot more reach than 1!

I meant APS-H

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »
Edit: Misunderstanding, carry on.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:29:25 AM by Axilrod »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »

And if the 70D had better AF and better body construction, how would a 7DII with APS-H have an edge over it?  If you're a wildlife/sports photographer it's not an edge at all.  It just doesn't make sense, right now 7D > 60D, so if they both get upgraded 7DII > 70D.

Actually it makes good sense. I've said it before but if Canon were to give the 7DII the APS-H sensor the would be moving it further up the scale and could beef up the 70D to take it's place. In fact, I think the only reason I'd buy a 7DII is if it had a APS-H in it. Otherwise, I'll pass.

But, I do tire of this topic. It's simply not going to happen. Ever. Not in the 7DII anyway.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
Don't talk to me like I'm a F______ idiot that misunderstood your post, you said this:
"the 70D could have better AF, better body construction etc. and the 7D MK2 would still have some edge.

he said BETTER yes.
but he said not BETTER then WHAT, so BETTER watch your tone.

Listen Mr. Internet police, he said the 70D could have better AF, better body construction etc. and the 7DII would still have an edge.  How does that not make it sound like he is comparing the two?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »