Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

The New EOS Cinema C300 / Do you believe still image cameras are going away?

(1/5) > >>

revup67:
I came across this article today in my Inbox from from Digital Photo Pro which talks about the 4k and 5k cameras (not referring to Dollars).  The Canon EOS C300 seems appealing at the moment but I personally don't see the still image DSLR's going away any time soon as the article hints.  For one reason, there's too many purists that want photo, and photo only without the video

Here's the article

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/cameras/whats-the-future-of-still-capture.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPPeNewsJan_012512

Rev

jrista:
There are still hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people who still live and die by large format film cameras for all their photography. There are still millions of people who live and die by rangefinder film cameras (and even digital, for those who can afford it), or instant film cameras. I think its incredibly rare that any technology, of any kind, really ever actually dies and goes away. The only thing that really ever happens is continuing diversification of markets. The advent of HD DSLR still+video cameras is just a new kind of option. Mirrorless cameras are just a new kind of option, that will ultimately service a subset of the current DSLR crowd that uses but hates large, bulky cameras. The advent of the C300 is just a new entrant into an existing market, albeit with differences and improvements that make it unique.

Nothing will ever really "go away" or "die" or "disappear"...things will simply continue to diversify. More options, giving consumers more freedom to pick a tool that better fits their needs and/or wants than they had before. There will always be a (probably very large) holdout group of consumers who prefer DSLR style cameras. There is something to be said for the ergonomics and physical size of a 7D or a D3x over a tiny Nikon 1 body.

Canon-F1:

--- Quote ---Do you believe still image cameras are going away?
--- End quote ---

no

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: revup67 on January 26, 2012, 03:58:53 PM ---I came across this article today in my Inbox from from Digital Photo Pro which talks about the 4k and 5k cameras (not referring to Dollars).  The Canon EOS C300 seems appealing at the moment but I personally don't see the still image DSLR's going away any time soon as the article hints.  For one reason, there's too many purists that want photo, and photo only without the video

Here's the article

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/cameras/whats-the-future-of-still-capture.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPPeNewsJan_012512

Rev

--- End quote ---

This is a digital Cinema camera, for making movies.  Cinema cameras are not still cameras. It is manual focus.

Daniel Flather:
No they won't replace still cameras anytime soon.  They will close the gap between amateurs, low budget, b sides and the big production companies, so the REAL talent will win —regardless of the budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version