November 23, 2014, 11:10:10 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Brief Specs? [CR1]  (Read 19962 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Brief Specs? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »

As a Florida Scuba Photographer, I would think in order to build a watertight case they would need to have the model on hand. Building cases have to be perfect so that you can maintain button functionally and a perfect fit to seal the case.

just my thoughts anyways

+1

One would think that it would have to be an actual working model in order to do testing as well.

Maybe so.  If that's the case, this leak has probably guaranteed that the next time Canon has a new camera they want to make a housing for, they won't get the camera in advance.  Of course, their competitors will get the model in advance and have the case ready around launch...and that can't be good for the company who leaked the infomation.  I suspect that the company in question would have known this, they would have counted on it, and not allowed the leak (which is why I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of them; dizzying, isn't it?).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
Will prominently feature button(s) <-note the plural, for key functions like taking a picture or changing setting

But no knobs, switches, or levers?  I declare shennigans!  :P

D_Rochat

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Here's my "top secret" leaked spec list.

The 5DII replacment body will be:
Black or black-ish
Take still pictures, and probably video
Will most likely not use film
If digital, I have it on good authority the sensor will be larger than m4/3, but smaller than 645
Feature Auto-Focus
Will probably be EF mount
Will almost certainly be branded as Canon
Might have some type of removable flash memory based medium for picture storage
Will prominently feature button(s) <-note the plural, for key functions like taking a picture or changing setting

You heard it here first folks...   ::)

What fun would Canon Rumors be without the rumors? :P That's the whole point of the site!

And Auto-Focus hasn't been confirmed yet.....

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »

As a Florida Scuba Photographer, I would think in order to build a watertight case they would need to have the model on hand. Building cases have to be perfect so that you can maintain button functionally and a perfect fit to seal the case.

just my thoughts anyways

+1

One would think that it would have to be an actual working model in order to do testing as well.

Kev

So how about those companies like Radio Popper, Pocket Wizard, Nissin, etc??

Do they need to have a working 5D III in order to do their testing?

How about the LockCircle company who makes the expensive body cap?   :o

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

What fun would Canon Rumors be without the rumors? :P That's the whole point of the site!

And Auto-Focus hasn't been confirmed yet.....

Oh trust me, I love me some rumors...  But I'd agree that this one is just a ploy for attention, like many of them are.

Good call on the AF, my "source" can neither confirm nor deny the existence of AF  ;D

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
Can someone explain why Canon would provide any information to a waterproof housing manufacturer in advance of the release of a new camera, other than detailed engineering drawings and specifications for the external dimensions and button placements on that camera?

Canon recently held a briefing on the new body with marketing spiel to affiliated companies. They maybe just gave one briefing to everyone regardless of individual need. That said, that meeting was under full NDA. The specs seem bizarre (why make 22MP when you already have a new 18MP one which is close?) and 7.5fps might be just enough to be too much for the 1DX. I mean the specs sound awesome, but curious for Canon.

Only thing I can think of is the 36MP (?) D800 got Canon scared and they went all out, 1DX whatever, on this and that they wanted Aquatech to leak this info too.

Probably easier to believe Aquatech was pulling a stunt though, but IMO that just makes them look bad, but I guess they figure greater upside from traffic vs any losses from disgust over the tactic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:08:08 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

But no knobs, switches, or levers?  I declare shennigans!  :P

If it doesn't have dials or sliders, I'm not buying it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
"Housing companies are notorious for “leaking” information for traffic, which I just did."

Damn housing companies.  Publishing speculative information that is not confirmed!  Reminds me of another site I frequent...  Hummmm...

That's fair. :) Except I'm not selling you anything other than what you come to the site for.
canonrumors.com

tooslick2k

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »

just my thoughts anyways

+1

Kev

So how about those companies like Radio Popper, Pocket Wizard, Nissin, etc??

Do they need to have a working 5D III in order to do their testing?

How about the LockCircle company who makes the expensive body cap?   :o

Have any of those companies made camera specific accessories? I would think a water tight case is more important to start working on prior to the camera launch than others.

But again it just my opinion, i dont claim to have any inside knowledge why Canon would choose one company over another. All we know with certainty is that there are 5d3 models out there being tested  who gets the exclusive model before release to make a product for it isnt something i have intel on.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
I don't really see the 5D and 7D line merging as they will occupy very different price points, the 5D will debut at 3k or more the 7D will sit under 2k. the lower end of the market is where there will be a shakeout especially with mirrorless on the way. the xxxxD xxxD and xxD line occupy a space that will really only fit one low end DSLR once the mirrorless moves in i think mirrorless will wipe out the xxxxD and xxxD lines leaving the xxD as the entry level DSLR with the 7D remaining the weather sealed crop flagship
then I am hoping they bring out a new small form factor APS-H :D
2 FF bodies 1 APS-H and 2 APS-C bodies plus the new mirrorless I dont think they will produce a MP monster this round I tihnk they will wait and see the fallout from the D800 with its rumoured lack of high iso performance that will upset alot of Nikon wedding photogs
APS-H Fanboy

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
I'm curious to see what type of AF system they'll have to go with that 7.5fps. If it's anywhere close to a 19 point system, that would further imply that there may in fact be a 7D/5D amalgamation. I know, I know. They need an APS-C.... EF-S.... blah blah blah. Time will tell.

If it shoots 7.5fps then buyers are going to expect to use it for "action" shots, and it will almost require a significantly better AF.  I'd go so far as to say that it would need to be the "FF 7D" that a lot of people want.

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
7.5fps at 21-22MP?

Sounds nice but who knows, I'm guessing the burst rate wont be that high but it's just speculation really.

smirkypants

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »
I have to say, I did not expect 7.5 FPS. I think I'll buy one... maybe two.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »
And if this is actually a "FF 7D," that just leaves one hole in the pro line-up: a high-MP studio cam.  Maybe that's the real 5D3, and this is the 7D2?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
I have to say, I did not expect 7.5 FPS. I think I'll buy one... maybe two.

The implication is that based on this rumor, you expect it now?   ::)

18 MP x 12 fps / 2 Digic5+ = 108 MP/s per chip / 22 MP = 4.9 fps (or 5.7 fps for JPG).  7.5 fps means dual Digic5 at least.  IMO - unlikely. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »