December 21, 2014, 10:38:05 AM

Author Topic: Is it just me, or....  (Read 5018 times)

Leopard Lupus

Re: Is it just me, or....
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
Hahaha, thank you all!

+1 Neuro
+1 Axilrod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
You didn't really think the photo contest/lens giveaway was just for fun, did you?

Traffic is the heartbeat of this site. Fortunately, knowledgeable, intelligent and pleasant social intercourse are the spirit.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

Cyclops

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
I have also been a lurker, but plan to contribute more to the community, when/if I have knowledge to share, that could help others.

silversurfer96

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
Like many others, I just joined recently.  This site is not new to me, but just been reading more than posting reply.  I'd been taking picture of my kids for some 5-6 years now, but never could get the picture right when I wanted. Sometimes the picture turned out great and other times, what happened.   Didn't dawn on me that I should start using the other exposure other than 'Full Auto'.  Didn't know a thing about ISO, Aperture, Shutter, etc... Then invested in the 7D a year and a half ago and decided that if I should maximize my investment.  Since then, it has been an on-going journey into learning the ropes of digital photography.   I have to admit that the learning curve was more than I originally anticpated.  However, I love photography and outside of work, the camera stays close by me to capture that one fleeting moment of whatever comes my way, especially my kids.  Hoping to go to full-frame next year (yes, with the 5D3).
7D | 5D3 | 24-105 4.0 | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 II | 40 2.8 | 580EX II

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
The number of new members has climed dramatically.  I see no relation to the thousands of SEO spammers that had problems with.

We do get spammers posting several times each day and night, and have multiple moderators who quickly and quietly remove them and block their IP and e-mail address.  In a few cases, we block a range of IP addresses for the case where we see spam coming from a specific range.  Almost all spam comes from free e-mail addresses, gmail being by far the most popular.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
Hey, wait...I just realized...in that thread showing pictures of the 'new 5DIII' on Safari in Africa, there seem to be two different cameras there.  Has anyone else noticed that?   ::)

LOL

My impression is we got many more new posters after the safari affair. If I am not mistaken only 1/3-1/4 of the members actually post anything at all though (wonder if the hiding members are the secret smiters)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:02:55 PM by well_dunno »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
It seems like a lot of them have never used the "search" function, I've been seeing a lot of reposts recently.

Hey, wait...I just realized...in that thread showing pictures of the 'new 5DIII' on Safari in Africa, there seem to be two different cameras there.  Has anyone else noticed that?   ::)

There are 2 threads on the African Safari 5d3??  :o
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
Like many others, I just joined recently.  This site is not new to me, but just been reading more than posting reply.  I'd been taking picture of my kids for some 5-6 years now, but never could get the picture right when I wanted. Sometimes the picture turned out great and other times, what happened.   Didn't dawn on me that I should start using the other exposure other than 'Full Auto'.  Didn't know a thing about ISO, Aperture, Shutter, etc... Then invested in the 7D a year and a half ago and decided that if I should maximize my investment.  Since then, it has been an on-going journey into learning the ropes of digital photography.   I have to admit that the learning curve was more than I originally anticpated.  However, I love photography and outside of work, the camera stays close by me to capture that one fleeting moment of whatever comes my way, especially my kids.  Hoping to go to full-frame next year (yes, with the 5D3).

+1 For being Candid  :)

Some people will tell you to learn before you buy equipment, but your path is a valid one as well. As long as you are committed to keep learning, you will find a lot of help in this wonderful site.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
You didn't really think the photo contest/lens giveaway was just for fun, did you?

Traffic is the heartbeat of this site. Fortunately, knowledgeable, intelligent and pleasant social intercourse are the spirit.

Absolutely.  The contests provided a HUGE spike in registrations.  Granted, only 5% stay around after the contest, and only 1-2% really become regular posters, but that still represents a large number of new users.

Post volume has gone up significantly.  When I'm "on" I'll read every single post for 8-10 hours straight during peak hours.  It used to be a new post every 5-10 minutes. New thread every hour or two.  Now during peak periods (like after 5D3 info), there will be a new post every 10-30 seconds.

ers811

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
<---  One more statistic here.

I've been reading here for as long as I can remember.... finally registered about 6 months ago, and started posting a bit more around the 5D3 rumors.  I'm sure there are a lot of legitimate new members, after all, nearing announcement time for any high-end camera is exciting!

Not to mention it's amazing what you will learn about photography in general browsing through a rumor site.  Some of the regulars here are very knowledgeable. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:27:42 PM by ers811 »

ctmike

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Well, I'm one of the "first time posters", but I have been lurking here since...uhm...at some point in 2010 - just haven't had much too say - guess I must have been too busy actually taking photographs  ;)

Anyhow, the reason I started posting is that I am looking to upgrade my camera - I have pretty decent set of lenses, but my camera is just the 40D I bought back in 2008, and I intend to upgrade this year - which is why I am following the talk about soon-to-be-announced hign-end cameras with considerable interest.

So, who knows - maybe some of the other "first-timers" are in a similar situation.
Same! Been lurking for a long time, but I know I'll be purchasing a DSLR before my honeymoon at the end of the year, and like to keep up on things.

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
Wow, I never realized how many "lurkers" are here on CR!

I asked because the majority of new members had 1 post (which seems to always be a question, not a reply) and no profile w/info set up.

I find it awesome that this Canon community is so knowledgeable and understanding of all skill levels. Just wanted to make sure the security of the site wasn't in any sort of danger of false ads and harmful links.

P.S. Welcome newcomers!

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
Wow, I never realized how many "lurkers" are here on CR!

I asked because the majority of new members had 1 post (which seems to always be a question, not a reply) and no profile w/info set up.

I find it awesome that this Canon community is so knowledgeable and understanding of all skill levels. Just wanted to make sure the security of the site wasn't in any sort of danger of false ads and harmful links.

P.S. Welcome newcomers!

We watch for spam and SEO links.  There are thousands of SEO spammers who have created accounts with robots.  They try to add links to their profile, but that capability is turned off until a new member creates enough posts about valid photo topics, and then its turned on.  Thats why you do not see new members with just a few posts and no profile.Occasionally, we go in and remove old members who have never posted, just to cleanup the database.

As noted, there are relatively few members who contribute regularly, only about 100 have posted 100 times or more, for example, and only two have 1000 posts or more.  The number with 1 post or more is quite large, probably due to the posting of images during the contest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

stu_cj

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
I'm with Frisk. Been enjoying and getting great value out of my 40d for several years (I bought it in Japan when they were first announced ) and am waiting to move to FF but still undecided as to whether to jump in for a 5d2 (while they are very very  cheap (same price now as I paid for my 10d new)) or hang on for a 5d3 (and pay £7-£800 more for the privilege).
Have come to the conclusion though after a few months that most of what I read is wishful thinking.
Do we have to be described as "lurkers" to read rumours on a rumours site ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »