April 18, 2014, 10:20:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM  (Read 161570 times)

ScottFielding

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF135mm f/2L USM
« Reply #315 on: May 11, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
This thread did it for me, I have been looking to purchase this lens since moving to Canon last year...finally ordered mine last night!

Amazing shots posted up by all!

Cheers,

Scott
5D III
Sigma 35 1.4 - 50L - 135L - 70-200L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: May 11, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #316 on: May 11, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »
This thread did it for me, I have been looking to purchase this lens since moving to Canon last year...finally ordered mine last night!

Amazing shots posted up by all!

Cheers,

Scott

Yeah, this forum has that effect on people. It's cost me quite a bit lately...
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

leftnose

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Not a good photo but: bokeh!

I love how this lens can be so sharp but render so softly at the same time.

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »
I've had my 135L for 4 years, love it.  Probably never sell it.  However, color rendition isn't necessarily its strongest asset.  It's really just part of the whole package that makes it such a great lens.  The color balance itself is a tad cooler than I like, and sometimes too green, so I compensate with some magenta bias in-camera.  In my opinion, bokeh smoothness is its strongest asset.  Sharpness, and both global and micro-contrast, are all a close second.  I will find it hard to believe any current or future lenses in the 135mm focal length, will be a better overall lens.  An f/1.4 or faster zoom of some kind, could possibly be a better overall lens, but would be pricey and hard to design and build.  I find that much of the wildlife I like to shoot, needs such fast aperture for the low light...that none exist.

I certainly would be interested in a replacement with IS (which would be huge for my event work), and I wouldn't mind if they could tighten up the CA a bit.  It isn't as bad as my 85mm f/1.8, but still shows it on occasion.  It's interesting what you say about color.  It probably is a bit cool, which is ironic, since I'm partial to my Tamron 24-70VC which is probably on the warm side.

Canon color rendition overall, is generally considered to be "cool".  I've read it many places...but certainly not all Canon lenses have a cool temperature.  Interesting you mention CA.  My copy really doesn't have any, or if it does, I haven't found it.  One troubling thing I'm noticing with the 6D, is that with the 135...sometimes AF is slower than my 70-200 f/4...especially in servo mode.  Hard to believe.  Also seems to hunt a bit more in very low light, than the "slower aperture" f/4 zoom.  Very odd.

As far as color goes, I have never seen a color rendition and spectrum, as good as the 200 f/2L that I rented.  I want one...but again, would prefer something a bit shorter that is an even faster zoom, with identical optical performance.  I think it could be done, but if Canon did it, it would cost $15k !!

The Zeiss 100mm f/2 I rented, might have the best color for fall foliage, or possibly even green foliage.  However, it also had some weird contrast, where it didn't go "black" enough...yet the bright end seemed very contrasty.  The red end of the color spectrum was really alive and "analogue" looking.

I could really tell a difference when I was doing a head to head between the 24-105L and the Tamron 24-70 VC for my lens review.  The color temperature was noticeably cooler on the 24-105L, and when I was comparing them side by side, my preference was always the Tamron (that is certainly just a matter of taste).  What the 135L does so wonderfully well is the transitions in color and focus.  So smooth, and the end result is typically very pleasing.

Very well said, and I'll take it one step farther.  The end result...is...PURE ART.  Most everything out of either of the 3 cameras I have shot with the 135 f/2, looks like some kind of art piece...to varying degrees of success, of course.  I will post a few images in the future...don't have time to sift through and edit them now.

Btw Dustin, any thoughts or tips about LR 4?  I only recently bought it for use with the 6D.  I'm used to CS5 and ACR.  I kind of am getting used to how to make use of the changes to the sliders in the basic section (the "fill light" is gone, etc.)...but frankly, my main complaint is that I am a slow learner, and there are just too many choices and customizations in LR...regarding file management...where they get imported and exported, and how they're archived...etc.  Once I get more used to it, I will make use of it.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
I've had my 135L for 4 years, love it.  Probably never sell it.  However, color rendition isn't necessarily its strongest asset.  It's really just part of the whole package that makes it such a great lens.  The color balance itself is a tad cooler than I like, and sometimes too green, so I compensate with some magenta bias in-camera.  In my opinion, bokeh smoothness is its strongest asset.  Sharpness, and both global and micro-contrast, are all a close second.  I will find it hard to believe any current or future lenses in the 135mm focal length, will be a better overall lens.  An f/1.4 or faster zoom of some kind, could possibly be a better overall lens, but would be pricey and hard to design and build.  I find that much of the wildlife I like to shoot, needs such fast aperture for the low light...that none exist.

I certainly would be interested in a replacement with IS (which would be huge for my event work), and I wouldn't mind if they could tighten up the CA a bit.  It isn't as bad as my 85mm f/1.8, but still shows it on occasion.  It's interesting what you say about color.  It probably is a bit cool, which is ironic, since I'm partial to my Tamron 24-70VC which is probably on the warm side.

Canon color rendition overall, is generally considered to be "cool".  I've read it many places...but certainly not all Canon lenses have a cool temperature.  Interesting you mention CA.  My copy really doesn't have any, or if it does, I haven't found it.  One troubling thing I'm noticing with the 6D, is that with the 135...sometimes AF is slower than my 70-200 f/4...especially in servo mode.  Hard to believe.  Also seems to hunt a bit more in very low light, than the "slower aperture" f/4 zoom.  Very odd.

As far as color goes, I have never seen a color rendition and spectrum, as good as the 200 f/2L that I rented.  I want one...but again, would prefer something a bit shorter that is an even faster zoom, with identical optical performance.  I think it could be done, but if Canon did it, it would cost $15k !!

The Zeiss 100mm f/2 I rented, might have the best color for fall foliage, or possibly even green foliage.  However, it also had some weird contrast, where it didn't go "black" enough...yet the bright end seemed very contrasty.  The red end of the color spectrum was really alive and "analogue" looking.

I could really tell a difference when I was doing a head to head between the 24-105L and the Tamron 24-70 VC for my lens review.  The color temperature was noticeably cooler on the 24-105L, and when I was comparing them side by side, my preference was always the Tamron (that is certainly just a matter of taste).  What the 135L does so wonderfully well is the transitions in color and focus.  So smooth, and the end result is typically very pleasing.

Very well said, and I'll take it one step farther.  The end result...is...PURE ART.  Most everything out of either of the 3 cameras I have shot with the 135 f/2, looks like some kind of art piece...to varying degrees of success, of course.  I will post a few images in the future...don't have time to sift through and edit them now.

Btw Dustin, any thoughts or tips about LR 4?  I only recently bought it for use with the 6D.  I'm used to CS5 and ACR.  I kind of am getting used to how to make use of the changes to the sliders in the basic section (the "fill light" is gone, etc.)...but frankly, my main complaint is that I am a slow learner, and there are just too many choices and customizations in LR...regarding file management...where they get imported and exported, and how they're archived...etc.  Once I get more used to it, I will make use of it.

Carl, one of my best recommendations is to watch some of these tutorials (the LR specific ones, obviously).  This woman from Adobe is a whiz with LR and it really helped unleash my creativity and flexibility in LR.  http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/ 

Secondly, I would encourage to either purchase or create some good presets.  The use of the presets saves so much work in LR.  I use import presets that add metadata, basic lens specific settings, and even common keywords.  I have a ton of develop presets.  The image I posted in the thread today literally took me about 30 seconds to process in LR other than writing the description.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Old Shooter

• EOS M2
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 17, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
I'm a recent purchaser - partly because of this thread!  ;)

FoCal says it is my sharpest lens - and I believe it!

After AFMA, I took it to the Philippines and put it to use...

Really love this piece of glass!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »

Carl, one of my best recommendations is to watch some of these tutorials (the LR specific ones, obviously).  This woman from Adobe is a whiz with LR and it really helped unleash my creativity and flexibility in LR.  http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/ 

Secondly, I would encourage to either purchase or create some good presets.  The use of the presets saves so much work in LR.  I use import presets that add metadata, basic lens specific settings, and even common keywords.  I have a ton of develop presets.  The image I posted in the thread today literally took me about 30 seconds to process in LR other than writing the description.

I've already stored a ton of develop presets, but I thank you very much for the advice and info!  I will study it carefully.  One thing I need, is for my creativity to be unleashed !!  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
I'm a recent purchaser - partly because of this thread!  ;)

FoCal says it is my sharpest lens - and I believe it!

After AFMA, I took it to the Philippines and put it to use...

Really love this piece of glass!

Nice pics, and glad you're enjoying it!  Frankly, this lens alone will probably always keep me with Canon as my primary DSLR system company...although certainly there are many other reasons.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
Love this lens ... straight out of the camera - no processing.
Light is language!

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #324 on: May 28, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

Nice shot JR ;)

I just ordered this lens from BH....will arrive this coming friday. Can't wait :o
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:59:17 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »

Nice shot JR ;)

I just ordered this lens from BH....will arrive this coming friday. Can't wait :o

Good choice. This is a great lens.
Light is language!

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

Nice shot JR ;)

Good choice. This is a great lens.

I wish 85L II has similar AF speed as 50L or 135L, then I could have completed my dream set ::)

What happen to your 70-200 f2.8 IS II? I thought you use to have this lens?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:40:10 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

What happen to your 70-200 f2.8 IS II? I thought you use to have this lens?

Just got the 24-70 II a couple of months back so the savings account is blown. Started again ... maybe by July/August.  :)
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »

WPIAL-87 by PVC 2012, on Flickr