May 27, 2018, 08:05:05 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM  (Read 398619 times)

leftnose

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
« Reply #465 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
A follow up to my post from yesterday. According to the info I have, this woman got her first camera in 2012 and she´s shooting with a 135 2L lens. I got my first SLR 39 years ago and I would have been tremendously proud of a portfolio like this. Enjoy!

http://500px.com/ElenaShumilova

No question that those are gorgeous images but there's a lot of post processing involved there.

In this one: http://500px.com/photo/57384990 for example, look at the area that's in focus on the ground between the dog and the child.  Then look at the ground near the child's heels.  It's on the same plane and should be in focus but is blurred.

Again, there's a lot of skill evident on those photos but it's not all "in-camera" skill.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #465 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
A follow up to my post from yesterday. According to the info I have, this woman got her first camera in 2012 and she´s shooting with a 135 2L lens. I got my first SLR 39 years ago and I would have been tremendously proud of a portfolio like this. Enjoy!

No question that those are gorgeous images but there's a lot of post processing involved there.

In this one: http://500px.com/photo/57384990 for example, look at the area that's in focus on the ground between the dog and the child.  Then look at the ground near the child's heels.  It's on the same plane and should be in focus but is blurred.

Again, there's a lot of skill evident on those photos but it's not all "in-camera" skill.

Could be a composite. Two images blended together. I like the moody atmosphere of these shots more than anything. I wish I had mad processing skillz like she does! 
Move along nothing to see here!

Quasimodo

• EOS 5DS R
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • 500px.com
« Reply #467 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »

Could be a composite. Two images blended together. I like the moody atmosphere of these shots more than anything. I wish I had mad processing skillz like she does!

+1 Me too!

I think her pictures are beautiful regardless of what goes into it. I think that photoshop liberated photographers from their documentary shackles, much like photography freed painting when the medium was introduced. Chagall, van Gogh, and Picasso all came after the photography. Before that paintings tended to be quite naturalistic.

What I would really wish, is that she would post a video of how she works, so I at least could try to imitate some of her process.
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3, Canon:24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 2x III TC, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #468 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47:23 AM »

I am brought up being taught that 95% of the image is done when you push the shutter release (that´s why I´m so slow). I have spent manmonths in the darkroom, trying to tweak my black&whites right, with very few successes. When I look at this woman´s images I see beautiful motives, even though it is mostly her kids, excellent compositions, excellent DOF, beautiful colors, one or two processing flaws, but in general stunning images. And taking her short experience into consideration, I´d say she has a talent beyond most of us.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #469 on: January 17, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

I think you will find it is a simple Gaussian blur in a U shape to include the foreground and into the background either side of the subjects, probably done as a brush (good), a layer mask (better), or a grad layer mask (best), it's what adds to their isolation and that "unique look" that the 135 is supposed to have. Funny, with decent post skills any lens can have a "unique look".

Absolutely no need for a composite.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

distant.star

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
Yep, I agree. When I first looked at the images I thought, "There isn't that much fog/mist in the whole world!" Then I saw the obvious processing signs -- which is NOT to say it distracts. Lovely images.

I think you will find it is a simple Gaussian blur in a U shape to include the foreground and into the background either side of the subjects, probably done as a brush (good), a layer mask (better), or a grad layer mask (best), it's what adds to their isolation and that "unique look" that the 135 is supposed to have. Funny, with decent post skills any lens can have a "unique look".
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
Yep, I agree. When I first looked at the images I thought, "There isn't that much fog/mist in the whole world!" Then I saw the obvious processing signs -- which is NOT to say it distracts. Lovely images.

Well, it seems there is an obvious trait of this image that is not being discussed.  The vignetting (likely added in post as "post crop" vignetting...yes the 135 f/2 does vignette wide open, but not nearly this much).  But the vignetting serves to spotlight (and almost 'bulls-eye') the subjects, making it that much more of a "portrait".

This technique is really not all that unusual, anyone can do it.  Not saying it's not a nice image, certainly it is.  But it's really more the lighting on the subject(s) (and the darker light surrounding it) relative to that darker background bokeh, that make this image successful.  The bokeh alone (whether natural or 'enhanced'), is not what jumps out as a primary feature of this image.  The spotlighted subjects are what jump out, from against the dark.  That's how I see it anyway.

I have nothing against doing any of these things to an image in post.  But it's important to point out that these are not 'native' features of the lens alone.  What the photographer has done here, serves to exaggerate the features and even 'artifacts' of fast prime lenses (to a pleasing result)...and in this image it works fine.  But anyone who has edited images for a while can easily see the image does not look like this straight out of the camera (especially if you have the camera set to compensate for vignetting in the first place...Which is usually the best way to do it, because that way the photogorapher/editer/artist can choose how much and where, and whether or not to apply any...vignetting in post).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »

privatebydesign

« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
I didn't mention the vignetting because it is so obvious I didn't feel it needed mentioning, like, it is in colour, or it is in landscape format.

Of course it has been added, but as we mostly agree, images like this (non-documentary) are artistic in nature and can be manipulated in any way to produce the result the photographer was envisioning. Whether it is to our personal taste is something quite different. I think in this case the lady has a superb eye and is no slouch on a computer, she has a vision and I am sure the final images are pretty much what that vision was, I wish I was that good half the time!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
I had a very quick play with a recent jpeg to see if I could get a similar effect. I'm not sure she hasn't played with the white balance between subject and background in some of them. That's what I have done with this picture, as well as the manipulations mentioned above. I've attached the original from camera for comparison. In this case the lens has already done a pretty thorough job of isolating the subject.

Great pictures with a real 'signature' feel. Those who worked with film know that there was as much post processing done then as there ever is with digital !

Thanks for the link Eldar.

Dylan777

« Reply #474 on: January 17, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »

Thanks for sharing Eldar

Indeed - AMAZING. I just booked mark her site for future photos.

Quasimodo

• EOS 5DS R
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • 500px.com
« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
I had a very quick play with a recent jpeg to see if I could get a similar effect. I'm not sure she hasn't played with the white balance between subject and background in some of them. That's what I have done with this picture, as well as the manipulations mentioned above. I've attached the original from camera for comparison. In this case the lens has already done a pretty thorough job of isolating the subject.

Great pictures with a real 'signature' feel. Those who worked with film know that there was as much post processing done then as there ever is with digital !

Great shot and example Sporgon. Anytime you have time, would you mind sharing how you do this, step by step for those who are not too profficient in PS or Lightroom (like me :) )?
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3, Canon:24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 2x III TC, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

CarlTN

« Reply #476 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:51 PM »
I didn't mention the vignetting because it is so obvious I didn't feel it needed mentioning, like, it is in colour, or it is in landscape format.

Of course it has been added, but as we mostly agree, images like this (non-documentary) are artistic in nature and can be manipulated in any way to produce the result the photographer was envisioning. Whether it is to our personal taste is something quite different. I think in this case the lady has a superb eye and is no slouch on a computer, she has a vision and I am sure the final images are pretty much what that vision was, I wish I was that good half the time!

I wasn't criticizing you, and I think you're missing my point a bit, but that's ok.

CarlTN

« Reply #477 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »

Nice image but in my opinion it's not all that successful because the girl's face is hidden rather needlessly.  I know you probably think that's the point of the image, but it kind of falls flat because of that.  No doubt most of you will disagree with me, but there it is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #477 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »

privatebydesign

« Reply #478 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:52 PM »

I wasn't criticizing you, and I think you're missing my point a bit, but that's ok.

All is good with me, I didn't think you were criticising me, but even if you were, it is a forum for discussion and my opinion is worth no more, or less, than anybodies.

CarlTN

« Reply #479 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »

All is good with me, I didn't think you were criticising me, but even if you were, it is a forum for discussion and my opinion is worth no more, or less, than anybodies.

True enough, except in my case...sometimes my opinions get deleted :P...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #479 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »