April 18, 2014, 12:06:33 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III - February 7, 2012 [CR2]  (Read 45461 times)

AdamJ

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III - February 7, 2012 [CR2]
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
For me, the D800 announcement makes the wait for the 5D3 all the more fascinating. It seems to me that the two areas in which the 5D3 could better the D800 are high-ISO performance and processing speed (for higher FPS and cleaner image processing). If this proves to be the case, it would look very much like a reversal in Nikon's and Canon's relative marketing positions.

One thing I do feel sure about is that the D800 seems on paper to be so extremely competitive that Canon won't even have thought about crippling the 5D3 for marketing reasons.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
For me, the D800 announcement makes the wait for the 5D3 all the more fascinating. It seems to me that the two areas in which the 5D3 could better the D800 are high-ISO performance and processing speed (for higher FPS and cleaner image processing). If this proves to be the case, it would look very much like a reversal in Nikon's and Canon's relative marketing positions.

One thing I do feel sure about is that the D800 seems on paper to be so extremely competitive that Canon won't even have thought about crippling the 5D3 for marketing reasons.

I so much hope you are right.  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

RedEye

« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
We're all experiencing 'waiting fatigue' - indeed!  However consider the following. Canon's production capacity was thrashed in a wave, a reactor, and a flood.  Say they don't have anything to show for the D800 release and are scrambling to keep the lights on back home.  If this is the case, their optimal strategy is to release a super awsome camera packed with every promised feature known to man - and then ship it sometime when they can catch up in september.  Promises with a later very expensive fulfilment on their part. 

So either way you look at it, it's going to be an equal quality reaction to the D800 (neither of the biggest two will fall out of lockstep in any feature war so forget the 22MP game guys - it's going to be 30+MP - Game theory says so) and this will arrive in shipments in a month, or it'll be a superior reaction which will arrive in 8-12 months.  Eitherway, they're on higher ground on the battle field so long as the quality of the product is delivered, as delivered, when promised :)

Picsfor

« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
I have read about newscoverage of the new Nikon. So there is a D800 and a D800E model (last without anti-alias filter)

Would Canon maybe release two 5D's as well?

Why? Have they got 2 left from old stock?  ;D

Um, sorry - isn't this thread now a tad debunked?For almost half the world, 7th Feb is over and no new Canon camera announcement? So, the CR2 was probably for the 22mp...

BDD

« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
So, the CR2 was probably for the 22mp...

...will be fact in a few weeks? :) Canon doesn't need to play the MP game. Just put out a 5D3 (or "5D-X") with the most recent CR list of rumored specs + good high ISO range for $2700. Announce it this month. Make us happy!!!

te4o

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
Quote:
    5D X
    22 mp
    61pt AF with DIGIC 4
    6.9 FPS
    DIGIC 5 (Doesn’t say DIGIC 5 )
    Announcement February 28
    with 3 lens
    Available April $2700
End quote.

Aren't the three mentioned lenses already here ?
I think the CR will have got it right again ! Relax folks, we won't be disappointed. There is NO 18MP 5D in the making. Anything above 21 will be just fine for 99% of work.
This is the response to D800 and it is quite well planned - a general workhorse for the majority of shooters, a mix of both worlds: resolution & IQ for the general mix of uses. It will sell like hot cakes again if the price is as mentioned (a shudder when I saw the new lenses' price though).
Now, enough with optimism training...
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

D_Rochat

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
I heard that a 5DX with 24-70 ver II kit will be available for $10,000.  ;D :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
When I was shopping for my first dslr, MP count was important. Now I have been trolling on here for a few weeks, I believe I am not as convinced MP count is as important as things like DR. I also was very interested in a higher fps, something you can't find on P&S easily. I definately did my homework on reviews also. I am stoked about the 5d mk III, when it does come out, I will probably be ordering one if the specs are close to true. I am anxious to go to FF from my 7d. I do a lot of wildlife, and while I will miss the crop factor, better pictures will be ultimately be more important to me. I am strictly ameature and learning. 

On another note, Canon may not have a choice in the matter of letting Nikon get a jump on the market with their D800. Canon may be more crippled from the tsunami than we realise. With tragedies like this there are more things effected than porduction plant machines, but people, too.

This site has been giving me many hours of reading during down time at my job. Anxious, anxious, anxious for mk iii. :)
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
This is my POOMA-analysis of this whole thing:
The D800 is a completely new thing for Nikon. It's a huge departure from the D700 and a leap towards the 5D II. More res, lower FPS, aimed more towards video than previous models.

Look at what Canon did with the 5D II - awesome FF-resolution at a fairly low price, whereas the D700, from what I've heard said by the Nikon shooters I know, prompted people to get rid of their nikon D# or forgo it because the D700 pretty much preformed similarly with the battery grip. You could say the 5D II did the same to the 1Ds, but for people needing speedier and more precise AF the 5D II was newer a choice. The 1D was left alone, never touched by any other Canon, and probably the best seller of the 1D products anyway.

So essentially they are forcing people towards the D4 if they want speed, fullframe and lower res. Pretty good choice, I guess.

As for the 5D III having lower resolution than the D800, well, only time can tell, but I'm fairly certain that It'll be closer to  the resolution of the D800 than the current 5D, I'd find it extremely odd if the performance of the 5D III comes close to the 1D X. As for people jumping ship, well, I'm also fairly certain that the ones who'll do that are the unfaithful customers anyways, that aren't locked into a large collection of lenses. The camera has to be a massive disappointment if people switch in large numbers (like the 1D III that had people,  hell, whole agencies and newspapers, switching to Nikon).

As I said, pulled out of my ass.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:45:08 PM by RuneL »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
When I was shopping for my first dslr, MP count was important. Now I have been trolling on here for a few weeks, I believe I am not as convinced MP count is as important as things like DR. I also was very interested in a higher fps, something you can't find on P&S easily. I definately did my homework on reviews also. I am stoked about the 5d mk III, when it does come out, I will probably be ordering one if the specs are close to true. I am anxious to go to FF from my 7d. I do a lot of wildlife, and while I will miss the crop factor, better pictures will be ultimately be more important to me. I am strictly ameature and learning. 

On another note, Canon may not have a choice in the matter of letting Nikon get a jump on the market with their D800. Canon may be more crippled from the tsunami than we realise. With tragedies like this there are more things effected than porduction plant machines, but people, too.

This site has been giving me many hours of reading during down time at my job. Anxious, anxious, anxious for mk iii. :)

+1 Welcome to the CR Forum  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

BDD

« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
Faithful? I've been a loyal Nikon user for over 30 years. But since Nikon chose to take a different route with the D800 I will now need to look at the 5D3 (assuming they do give us 1-2 more stops of high native ISO). Plus I prefer a camera body w/o a battery grip. Though, if Canon ends up playing the MP game and puts out a 40MP 5D3 (as rumoured recently). Then I guess I'll "stay" loyal and buy either a 3Ds or D4.

What will Canon do with the 5D3? Hopefully we'll find out at the end of the month. Place your bets!! Place your bets!!! :)

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »

Hopefully, we will see soon enough. I'd even be very optimistic but one guy who has seen the 5D3 seems to keep wanting to put some dampers on people's enthusiasm a bit, so that does make me wonder a little bit.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
Faithful? I've been a loyal Nikon user for over 30 years. But since Nikon chose to take a different route with the D800 I will now need to look at the 5D3 (assuming they do give us 1-2 more stops of high native ISO). Plus I prefer a camera body w/o a battery grip. Though, if Canon ends up playing the MP game and puts out a 40MP 5D3 (as rumoured recently). Then I guess I'll "stay" loyal and buy either a 3Ds or D4.

Using a standard Bayer sensor of the same size, I believe it's already been shown that it is impossible to even get just 2 stops better high iso than the best current Nikon unless you alter physics. I'm not sure if more than 1 stop if possible with re-writing the laws. ;D  (and there has been no mention of using radically different sensor technology yet by any of these companies)

And some studies, granted based on slightly different tech at the subtle level, imply that 18MP vs 40MP wouldn't really help high ISO much, the difference might only just be 1/3 stop at most. And currently SONY has a more advanced ADC column architecture and have much better low ISO DR because of it.

So I'm just saying I don't think it is realistic to think the 5D3 would have a few stops better high ISO just because it has a lot less MP unless Nikon/SONY really messed up with the new 36MP sensor (granted that is always possible  ;D). Perhaps it might have a little bit better high ISO, but it's relatively unlikely that it would be by any significant margin. And I say that not because I think it will be bad, but just because all the top cams are so close to reasonable theoretical limits for the types of designs they use already and because MP count only has relatively modest impacts on high iso SNR with the tech they are currently using.

But we will see, maybe Canon gets right to the very limits with this one and SONY didn't quite do so well this time and they drop back just a little and then the D800 does end up a full stop worse at high ISO.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »

BDD

« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Well, I'm hoping Canon will borrow the tech required from the 1D-X (which already offers a native ISO range of 100-51,200). This was what I was implying. Since (according to recent CR rumours) Canon is planning to include a 61-point AF system (which I'm guessing is from the 1D-X). What Canon ends up doing...hopefully we'll all find out at the end of this month in their official announcement.

Do I end up jumping ship and buying a 5D3? Or do I remain "faithful" and buy a D3s or D4? Hmmm... Canon does have a better selection of glass...partly why I'm willing to consider the 5D3.

Come on CANON!! Give us a taste of what's to come already!! :) Leak some specs!!

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
There is sensor DR/ISO, i.e. RAW; then there is jpeg rendition +NR + Expeed/Digic magic.

With the latter, it is possible to skirt the laws of Physics and get those extra stops, however proof comes in the RAW renditions... and we have not seen RAW footage either from the 1Dx or the D800 yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:39:14 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »