November 27, 2014, 08:37:42 PM

Author Topic: The best ways to (not) get your gear stolen  (Read 16807 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: The best ways to (not) get your gear stolen
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
My homeowners insurance used to cover my equipment, then when I got renter's insurance from the same company  I had to add special policy for the gear. Photograph your gear, including serial numbers and if you have them, receipts for purchase. 

Anyway, first yes of course take care of your gear, and be proud of your "white" lens.  But don't be too surprised if your non camera geek (NCG) friends and potential muggers are not aware white means expensive. (I think of mine as cream colored)  In my experience most NCGs will be impressed with big lenses, but the white will not be a factor, or will just confuse them.

I usually use a monopod an have used it once to defend my gear.  I didn't have to whack anyone, but I did have to explain to the individual he was threatening someone holding a metal pipe.  While explaining, I removed my camera. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »
When in doubt, I always carry a monopod with me. A good walking stick, camera gear, and defense. If you can get the gear covered as an addition to homeowners/renters insurance is cheap. Also in a dark area like a parking lot carry a flash turned on with you. If someone comes near you flash their eyes.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
On a side numerous note, as someone said for tags on their pelican case, have a sign that says something like "warning, human waste inside". :-)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »

Another useful thing could be to use a camera bag that doesn't look like one, to not draw attention. Of course, that only helps when you're not shooting.

I have heard of gear getting stolen out of people's packs while on their backs.  What helps here is a pack like one of the Lowe Pro "Flipside" packs that open on the "inside" - i.e. you have to take it off your back (or slide it round in front of you with the hip belt still done up) in order to be able to open it.  That way, in order to get anything large out of your bag, someone has to get it off your back first.  Of course, almost any Lowe Pro bag does still scream "camera bag"....

There are some fairly decent Crumpler camera bags that look more like courier bags... you just want to avoid one of the "Canon EOS" branded ones that Canon Australia was throwing in with DSLR kits a year or two ago......
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:16 AM »
Yes, it does suck.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
Is stolen camera gear really a big issue?  I've been worried about it as well as I'm going Europe (the land of theft) next week for a whole month.  I don't have any whites but i do have a L lens...
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »
Is stolen camera gear really a big issue?  I've been worried about it as well as I'm going Europe (the land of theft) next week for a whole month.  I don't have any whites but i do have a L lens...

If you should happen to return from Europe without your L you might be able to answer your own question whether it is an issue or not... :D
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »

noodles

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »

I live in Europe (the continent) for 50 years and my gear (includes also L lenses) was never stolen. It is not an issue - just take care of your property as you would do in any other continent

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 03:38:49 AM »
take an assistant on jobs...  holding lights and guarding kit their main job!

Ellen Schmidtee

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:57 AM »
But don't be too surprised if your non camera geek (NCG) friends and potential muggers are not aware white means expensive. (I think of mine as cream colored)  In my experience most NCGs will be impressed with big lenses, but the white will not be a factor, or will just confuse them.

They might not be aware that white means expensive, but they would probably be aware that big is expensive.

A few months ago I was taking photos of a building which happens to be close to the local Occupy Someplace or Another. People saw a tripod & a big camera, and I had to explain half a dozen people I'm not working for "The Media".

[It's a nice building, and if "The Media" is right, it might collapse RSN.]

I was helping friends shoot a clip for a friend's song. Two 5Dmk2 & an HD hero, and people asked for which TV channel do we work, and whether it will be seen on MTV.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 05:24:17 AM »
Lots of great replies here (in particular, good tip on the camera straps with steel cables).  Personally I've been lucky enough to never have had anything stolen (& I do travel a lot).  Here are a few things I do:

• Use "stealth" bags like the beautiful Think Tank Retrospective and Urban Disguise.  I also have a big Crumpler backpack when I really need to carry everything.
  • In the past, I owned a long white 70-200 f/4L.  The first thing I did when I got it was cover all the white parts with gaffer tape.  Not only does it make it stand out less, but it protects the lens body from dents & scratches as well.
  • I have a specific clause in my homeowner's insurance covering $10000 worth of photography gear and computers against theft, fire damage, water damage, etc.  I also try to buy everything with my Amex wherever possible, which provides some additional theft insurance for the first year.

HTH...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:50:57 AM by funkboy »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:37 AM »
I honestly wear a pair of timberland steel toe cap boots if the worst comes to the worst i will boot the thieving scums baws lol

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »

I live in Europe (the continent) for 50 years and my gear (includes also L lenses) was never stolen. It is not an issue - just take care of your property as you would do in any other continent
+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »

You could cover all of your gear in a thin, even layer of vaseline. This would make snatching more difficult for would-be thieves and also improves the water sealing of many bodies and lenses.

You know, there is something just wrong with this type of "preparation" that just conjures up images that are even more wrong...

Besides, there are far better lubes out there....  ::)

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »
If you use your equipment in a business capacity, you can look at an inland marine insurance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »