August 30, 2014, 10:23:00 AM

Author Topic: Lotto Winner Cameras?  (Read 5545 times)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Lotto Winner Cameras?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
well aside fom the article .. i also would like to know how much profit they make from a D4 or 1D X.

of course you have to take R&D into account but just for fun i would like to know how much is manufacturing cost and what is profit.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
Who needs a camera this good and this expensive?

Anyone who wants one and can afford it...

Someone who doesn't need or can't afford a 60MP digital Medium format camera!   :P
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

I wonder how the people trying to make a living in professional photography feel about this. Not only are they competing with their professional peers who face the same business challenges they do, but also they have to compete with a highly funded and well equipped dilettante.

The tax and business issues keep me from selling any products or services too; that I understand well. It's mostly more trouble than it's worth, and I enjoy the freedom to take the pictures I want. I spent too much time taking pictures other people wanted. However, I now refer anyone who asks to the local professionals, and the local pros know I will not compete with them. I know too many guys struggling to support their families, and the idea that I'm taking food out of their mouths is not something I want to deal with.

In a lot of ways, I guess "taking pictures" is a lot more than just taking pictures. I don't mean to put anyone on the defensive, but I think this is something worth thinking about.

I am at the totally other extreme - I sell absolutely nothing

I do a lot of pro bono work - probably 3 or 4 days a week.

It would be too complicated and expensive to take on jobs on a semi pro basis - the insurances, marketing, tax issues (VAT) etc.

It is cheaper and a whole lot more fun to do it for nothing - I get some wonderful assignments that would not come my way otherwise.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »

I took home about 28k this past year.

Quick Breakdown Estimates
$700 Month Rent + Utilities = $8,400
$100 Month Groceries = $1,200
$200 Month Fun money = $2400
$125 Month Phone Bill = $1,500

Total "Savings" = $14,500
My question is, what do you eat to spend 100 dolars a month on groceries only? i live in china atm, and spend about 100 dollars a month on groceries here, and tomatoes here are 50 cents a pound and oranges are the same. When I was in the states I spent easily 3 times this amount a month and I consider myself cheap(outside of camera gear!)
and if you're so thrifty on food, why spend 125 dollars a month on a phone?
just curious
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Picsfor

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
You don't need to win the lotto to buy one of these cameras.

Had i still been in the day job (from which i was made redundant last year) i could have afforded to get 2 x 1Dx's and still not bat an eye lid - though the wife would have done. Photography is my only real interest, and my wife likes to travel - so we seem to meet some where in the middle. She travels and i record  ;)

So, no, you don't need to win the lotto, you just need to be able to afford one, and have the need for the features it offers.

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »

I wonder how the people trying to make a living in professional photography feel about this. Not only are they competing with their professional peers who face the same business challenges they do, but also they have to compete with a highly funded and well equipped dilettante.

Perhaps you didn't see that I do pro bono work - that means I do work for people/organisations that cannot afford pro photographers - charities being the main part, wedding/christening photos for poor people that are put in touch with me by their vicars and for example my local dog training club that wants pictures for their web site (I get unlimited access to their dogs to try new techniques - a mutally beneficial arrangement)

I dont compete with pro photographers - they are in a different sector. As for highly funded - well I worked hard for 40 years and if I choose to give some money away I cant see the issue.

Picsfor

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
As for highly funded - well I worked hard for 40 years and if I choose to give some money away I cant see the issue.

Well said that chap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Anyway, if i make enough comments on this forum, i might just get me a 1Dx for free  ;) :o

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 12:46:23 PM »

Perhaps you didn't see that I do pro bono work - that means I do work for people/organisations that cannot afford pro photographers - charities being the main part, wedding/christening photos for poor people that are put in touch with me by their vicars and for example my local dog training club that wants pictures for their web site (I get unlimited access to their dogs to try new techniques - a mutually beneficial arrangement)

I don't compete with pro photographers - they are in a different sector. As for highly funded - well I worked hard for 40 years and if I choose to give some money away I cant see the issue.

Well, we've gotten a bit off topic now haven't we? Honestly, you are kind of my hero...doing almost exactly what I hope to be doing in about five years.

Thirty years ago I realized that photojournalism and supporting a family were becoming mutually exclusive, so I chose family. I was fortunate because I had other talents that allowed me to make a good living.

The digital age has allowed me to rediscover photography, but I know that most of my interests lie in areas that aren't commercially viable. My hope is to hone my skills over the next several years, try some things and then, when my wife and I can afford to live on our pensions and savings, I'll have the freedom to do what I want.

It is not your fault that the marketplace does not support every would-be photographer.

However, you're still wrong about APS-H :)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

photophreek

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
From briansquibb:
I won in the lotto of life which is why I can afford the kit I want.

Exactly!!  +++1 

Must have been a slow news day. 

I'm neither a lotto winner nor a professional sports or wedding photographer just a passionate hobbyist.  What people spend their money on is all relative and their own decision and personal business.  Who is this writer to decide what is extravagant and what is not.  What profession do you have to be to justify spending $25,000 on a Rolex watch or >$millions on a powerboat. 

My motto, when all is said and done, I want leave this life exhausted as a result of all the things I've done and I certainly don't want to think or say....damn,  should have bought that 1D X, 600 f/4 II.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:40:19 PM by photophreek »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
A friend of mine has a car habit that goes beyond what we spend on cameras, and he wanted one a nice camera, so I put the 5D mkII & 24-105 in front of him.  Haven't gotten to the bigger glass yet, but when I do, I expect 2-3 L's at a single time, all 2.8 or better.  Showing up with a little rebel isn't going to cut it socially :D
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
For god's sake, don't let the author of the LA Times article see this page!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Price_%2410000+and+up&ci=274&N=4288584247+4293918111

:)

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »
"Look at who should buy this camera [1DX]:

1. Professional newspaper or magazine photographers who shoot sports
2. Staff photographers at a National Geographic-type publication
3. Lotto winners"

I really don't think the author of the article looked at the big picture of life and what people spend money on.  Nor did he look at the divergent needs of photographers (pros, hobbyists, and everything in between).

I have a friend who is into snowmobiling and spends $13k every couple of years on a new snowmobile.  I have another couple of friends who are into hunting and fishing and they spend countless dollars on making sure they have new quads, boats, gear and GPS devices.  Not to mention all these guys have trucks and trailers to pull their toys and the gas to drive all of them.  On the other side of the coin a friend of my wife spends thousands on clothes every year and in the past 5 years has spent $20k on plastic surgery.

In light of all of this I think spending $6000 for a 1DX is a very reasonable price.  Sure lenses cost money, but at the same time they have a relatively long life span.  Buying a 1DX doesn't require that you be a professional or a lottery winner.  It comes down to priorities, I don't spend $13k on snowmobiles or other toys, instead I save my money for my hobby, photography.

"Who needs a camera this good and this expensive? Certainly the No. 1 user would be the photographer who shoots sports for a living, where there’s a need for speed in low light conditions, like dimly lighted outdoor football fields or dingy indoor arenas. Over the years, this has probably been the best advancement in the digital technology I have seen. These cameras have brought available-light photo journalism to a new level, so far past the days of film or the infancy of digital technology."

With this comment the author doesn't give any thought or consideration that I would want a 1DX to take pictures of my kids playing sports in those same indoor dingy arenas and poorly lit soccer fields or instead should I be forced to use a P&S with a flash at the side of a hockey rink shooting into the glass (for those who've never seen this, think of shooting with a flash on into a window) like some parents I see? 

The author goes on to mention the 5DII and T3i, and he describes the latter as being realistically priced.  Sure, I'd love to only have to spend $800 on a T3i and a kit lens.  But, just try using that, or a 5DII for that matter, to take fast moving action sport shots in a poorly lit indoor arenas and let me know how it turns out.  I'm not going to buy a 1DX (or a 5DIII/5DX if the specs work for me) just for the sake of having a high end camera, I could care less about that.  I'm going to buy one because I find my present one (60D) lacking in low light conditions and the 1DX is the only camera that has Fast AF, low noise at high ISO (based on specs alone at this time), and good FPS, which is exactly what I need to capture those special moments of my children and their friends playing sports. It was for this same reason -right tool for the job- that I bought my 70-200 2.8 IS II; granted I now love that lens for much more than just taking sports shots.

In the end I think the author offers a very short sighted view of photography and people in general.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:47:48 PM by bigblue1ca »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »

However, you're still wrong about APS-H :)

Possibly - but APS-C has limited life as a top sensor, Canon might just skip to ff and then mf (with a ff compatibility mode for the EF lens like Nikon do for the DX lens). That means that the APS-C has limited production run - maybe there wont be a mk II.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
I think the author put to much emphasise on "NEED" and totally ignore the 'WANT". "WANT" is more powerful than "NEED" in my book. I know a person that has share an apartment with someone else in order to buy a new 280Z. I also know people has spend a month very good income to buy a camera. The list can go on and on. So you do not need to be a lotto winer or a profesional to buy an expensive camera, as long  as you want it and you can  make sacrifice in another area.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »