August 28, 2014, 01:34:59 AM

Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 5123 times)

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »
If you need a wide angle, the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 stands alone in bang-for buck on APS-c.  They've just announced a mkII version that should be out this summer.

If you've got a dedicated wide-angle for your crop camera then a general-use lens designed for FF cameras like the 24-105L IS is less of a limitation on the wide side (as it becomes a "normal-to-medium tele" lens on crop bodies).

You almost certainly want some kind of prime as well though.  The 85mm f/1.8 USM is a really great option that won't break the bank.  I use it for portraits, landscapes, concerts, low-light, etc etc etc.  Good lenses that are light & fit in a coat pocket have a certain advantage over the big L zooms sometimes...

Personally I use a Voigtländer 20mm f/3.5 Color Skopar as the "street lens" on my 40D.  Small, light, inconspicuous, and it's a very rare example of an electronically coupled EF mount pancake lens (the other example being the Voigt 40mm).  I usually just set it to hyperfocal at f/4 & forget about having to focus :-).

fancypants

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 06:39:35 AM »
Thank you all very much forr the feedback, sorry for the delay in writing back, had issues with my computer then went on a boys trip  ;D

Today I purchased the 7d with a 70 - 200 2.8L II with a grip, as I blew my budget on my holiday I spent some of my lens money so will have to save again for the shorter lens and tripod. I think I will go with the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS when I do buy the lens, when and if I do chose to upgrade the lens I can always sell it to my brother.

Now all the fun begins with learning how to use the camera to its full potential.

Thanks again for all your help.

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »
Fancy:

Since you already have a zoom, I would suggest your next purchase be a prime.

Either rokina 14mm for wide landscape, or 35 f/2 / 50 1.4 as portrait lens. The primes encourage us to be creative, and give better IQ.
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

tuankid

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
Agree with other on the 16-35mm recommendation. recently got mine and very pleased with it. however, it is not that great on a cropped body though.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »
Thank you all very much forr the feedback, sorry for the delay in writing back, had issues with my computer then went on a boys trip  ;D

Today I purchased the 7d with a 70 - 200 2.8L II with a grip, as I blew my budget on my holiday I spent some of my lens money so will have to save again for the shorter lens and tripod. I think I will go with the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS when I do buy the lens, when and if I do chose to upgrade the lens I can always sell it to my brother.

Now all the fun begins with learning how to use the camera to its full potential.

Thanks again for all your help.

Good choice for your setup congrats! I was dead set on suggesting the 16-35 because it is future proof unlike the 17-55, however, i used to have a nikon d2x 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 and it covered everything for weddings. great focal lengths on crop bodies.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »
Just picked up my mk3 today.  I shoot ultra wide a lot, so I picked up a siggy 12-24 II.  I used to shoot the 10-20 siggy on my old crop camera, then recently got the 8-16 (which is exactly 12-24 on a crop) and loved the extra width.  every mm at these wide angles gives a 5-10% increase in angle of view, so a few mm makes a big difference.  Anyway first impression with the 12-24 is that it is pretty soft on the edges, similar to the way 10-20 was, but I was hopping that it would be as sharp as the 8-16 (which is much sharper than the 10-20 if you can believe it).  I'm may think of losing the 2mm and going for the 14mm L prime down the road, but for now pretty damned happy.

Here is a random sample shot from a little walk I did this afternoon.  Handheld 7 shot bracket.  It's amazing with the low noise at high ISO the high FPS and the AEB features on the MK3 I was able to handhold this 7 shot bracket and get 14 stops of exposure in this low light sunset shot.  A little steam from the manhole in the lower left...

Jettatore

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
Since you mention landscape, motor-sport and portrait.  I'd say get the 16-35.  The range you are missing between the 16-35 and the 70-200 you can fill reasonably well with a 50mm prime.  The other note-worthy kit option would be 14mm Wide (or 17mm TS-E) + 24-70 (or 24-105) and then your 70-200.  Which is better depends on your personal style.

Someone, I forget who, a while back gave an awesome bit of advice and I would take it here whole-heartedly if I were you.  Only buy 1 lens at a time.  You'll get the fuller effect of a new purchase later down the road if you split up your order.  I'd also seriously consider getting one of the EXIII extenders with the 70-200, not right away but maybe as your third/fourth lens purchase.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
awesome bracketed shot :-)