December 17, 2017, 08:48:31 AM

Author Topic: Canon XC15 Images Leak Out Ahead of Launch  (Read 19452 times)

cpreston

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Canon XC15 Images Leak Out Ahead of Launch
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »
It doesn't look like the cable from the C100 handle would reach that connection port, so I don't think it will be a direct transfer of the handle. I'm sure it is for an audio type attachment, though.

If that is the only addition, it would be a bummer.

I expected to see at least one more button.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
The lens is still 2.8 to 5.6- I was hoping for 2.8 constant aperture. Only way it's worth buying to me unless they increase sensor size to APS-C. I'm not really expecting much here, especially after the disappointing 5DIV.

cpreston

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
The lens is still 2.8 to 5.6- I was hoping for 2.8 constant aperture. Only way it's worth buying to me unless they increase sensor size to APS-C. I'm not really expecting much here, especially after the disappointing 5DIV.

Either one of those would be an $8000 camera.

KrisK

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
Damnnnnnnnnnnniittttttt. I just bought an XC10 yesterday.  :-[ :-[ :'( :( :'(

Think I should return it? That redesign is definitely to allow a C100/300 handle to mount and plug in, which I do have.

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't really see myself rigging up the XC15 and using it to collect audio. Any situation that I'd need XLR inputs for I think I'd be more content to just bring my C100. Feeling better about my purchase. Got the XC10 in like-new condition for $1500.

If it also has DPAF, I'd sell my XC10 and upgrade. If not, no.

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »

I've never used one, but people who have absolutely love this thing.  I'm not sure what you're trying to shoot with it, but for $2000 it is one hell of a performer.  a 2.8 constant lens would require considerably more glass to achieve raising both the cost and weight significantly for this machine, which is precisely what Canon did NOT want to do with this model.  Using a 1 inch sensor also allows for smaller glass. If they moved up to a Super 35 like the C-line, then they would also have to redesign the glass for the bigger sensor, again making the cost/weight issue a problem and double-so if the went to a constant 2.8. 

If the new XC15 lands with DPAF and the newer sensor build technology, it will be a homerun for a lot of folks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:28:48 PM by PureClassA »
Financial Planner by day, Photography by heart.

5D Mk III, 5DSR, 1DX Mk II

dp3294

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
"I want a bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses."

"So you want a C100 or C300?"

"No, I want the $1,500 camera to do all of that. Why can't they put all of the features in the cheapest camera?"

I never understand the complaint that any company "cripples their cheaper models to protect sales of the expensive ones." Of course they do! As if it would make any sense for Canon (or any company, for that matter, and not just cameras) to do anything different. Of course the $1,500 camera isn't going to have the features of the $8,000 camera. Sony doesn't put everything that is an FS7 in one of their $900 camcorders either.

I'm happy with the XC10. If the XC15 has a few minor improvements and keeps the price the same, then fantastic. To expect an XC15 to suddenly have interchangeable lenses and a big sensor for the same price is unrealistic.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:12:36 PM by dp3294 »

RayValdez360

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »

"No, I want the $1,500 camera to do all of that. Why can't they put all of the features in the cheapest camera?"

I never understand the complaint that any company "cripples their cheaper models to protect sales of the expensive ones." Of course they do! As if it would make any sense for Canon (or any company, for that matter, and not just cameras) to do anything different. Of course the $1,500 camera isn't going to have the features of the $8,000 camera. Sony doesn't put everything that is an FS7 in one of their $900 camcorders either.

I'm happy with the XC10. If the XC15 has a few minor improvements and keeps the price the same, then fantastic. To expect an XC15 to suddenly have interchangeable lenses and a big sensor for the same price is unrealistic.
Who asked  for a $1500 camera though? No one asked for this camera in general. SOme of us actually have money and are willing to pay  more than $5000-$7000 for a good VIDEO camera with 4k 60p. But having a $13000 camera with only 30p 4k as your top cinema camera is pathetic. Canon just continues to  give us crippled products to protect their profit and not give us too much. Why upgrade if they gave us everything, right? Always keep your loyal customers begging and waiting for more features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »
When the C700 is announced, I would think we'll see some firmware updates for the C300II.
Financial Planner by day, Photography by heart.

5D Mk III, 5DSR, 1DX Mk II

CarlMillerPhoto

• EOS M5
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
It doesn't look like the cable from the C100 handle would reach that connection port, so I don't think it will be a direct transfer of the handle. I'm sure it is for an audio type attachment, though.

If that is the only addition, it would be a bummer.

I expected to see at least one more button.

Good point. The connection would need to be on the right side of the camera for the C100 handle to work seamlessly. Maybe they made a mini handle/single XLR jack specifically for the XC15? Let's hope that's an accessory and not included and thus justification for another high price tag.

And agreed on the bummer factor if that's the only addition. I'm sure there are some who can't, but I can get by using wireless audio receivers that offer a 3.5mm output if I need good internal audio on my B/C cam. Still, I can see how some would like the option to use phantom powered mics directly on the XC15 without the hassle of other equipment.

My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

Tugela

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Looks like there is a new XLR input.

That will add $500-$1000 to the price tag, because it is a "pro" 10 cents part.

Tugela

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »
When the C700 is announced, I would think we'll see some firmware updates for the C300II.

Nope. To get the firmware upgrades you will need to buy the C300III.

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:51 PM »

Either one of those would be an $8000 camera.

The way Canon prices their products, yes, it would be. Yet Sony somehow manages to put a 2.8 constant aperture on their RX10II camera with a 1" sensor for less than $2000 ;)

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »

We're just asking for basic filmmaking usefulness here- if it's a small sensor video camera with a fixed lens, at least give us a constant aperture zoom; if it's not a constant aperture zoom give us a detachable lens with some alternatives; if it's a larger sensor, maybe compromise on one of those. Or put all of the above in a more expensive model and sell it as the XC30 :) We who love Canon are infuriated when they put their market research before the actual ambition of the product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 06:28:34 PM »

Nope. To get the firmware upgrades you will need to buy the C300III.

Both wrong- to get the firmware upgrades you need to buy the C700  ::)

Rumor has it the C300II is getting killed by the FS7 at rental houses, and judging by demand among my shooting circles, this seems to be the case. So let's see if Canon addresses this concern at all.

CarlMillerPhoto

• EOS M5
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

Good point. The connection would need to be on the right side of the camera for the C100 handle to work seamlessly. Maybe they made a mini handle/single XLR jack specifically for the XC15? Let's hope that's an accessory and not included and thus justification for another high price tag.

Looking at the hotshoe closer now, the "slide in" is from the back like a normal hot-shoe, which means the C100 handle cable would be on the left and thus have no problem reaching the input jack also on the left of the XC15! However...that means the handle & XLR inputs would extend out the back of the camera instead of over the lens. That seems very odd ergonomically and like it would interfere with the viewfinder attachment....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:12:36 PM by CarlMillerPhoto »
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »