November 24, 2014, 04:44:54 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]  (Read 26144 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
The title says "New High-End DSLR".

Is there any more information on that?

The key terms here are "new" and "high-end".

Neither are labels that I would associated with a 5D Mark III, or 5DX, but maybe that's just my warped way of thinking.

Are we finally going to see the long rumoured "3D"?

For example, a new camera between the 1DX and 5DII would be well suited to being 22MP and 7.5fps, but expect the price tag to be $3500-$4000.

I consider the single digit models to be the high end, XD.  Middle are the two digit ones like XXD, and the low end/ beginner are XXXD.

You can define them anyway you want, but a XD model announcement is likely whats coming.   With a Nikon D800 being announced soon, Canon won't be far behind with a competing model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »

frisk

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
They're still making 5D2 and selling at around $2400.  If this "new high end" is announced at $2500, it will instantly kill the sales of 5D2 that they still have to clear the stock of.

If they are still making 5DII and expect to continue selling it after this new end camera is announced, it would suggest the following:

More expensive than the 5DII - If it would be at a similar price, it would instantly kill sales of the 5D as you say....no matter whether it is named 5D3 or not.

Not named 5DII or 5DX Canon will reveal a 5D3 at some point - but they will not be selling it alongside the 5DII - in fact, just announcing a 5D3 will kill sales of the 5DII, simply because it will create the impression that the 5DII is "obsolete".

So, again, IF they are still making 5DII and plan to do so for a while, it would actually make sense to have a February announcement of a $4000 "3D" (or whatever - just not a 5D3), and then a $3000 5D3 late in the year.

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
They're still making 5D2 and selling at around $2400.  If this "new high end" is announced at $2500, it will instantly kill the sales of 5D2 that they still have to clear the stock of.

If they are still making 5DII and expect to continue selling it after this new end camera is announced, it would suggest the following:

More expensive than the 5DII - If it would be at a similar price, it would instantly kill sales of the 5D as you say....no matter whether it is named 5D3 or not.

Not named 5DII or 5DX Canon will reveal a 5D3 at some point - but they will not be selling it alongside the 5DII - in fact, just announcing a 5D3 will kill sales of the 5DII, simply because it will create the impression that the 5DII is "obsolete".

So, again, IF they are still making 5DII and plan to do so for a while, it would actually make sense to have a February announcement of a $4000 "3D" (or whatever - just not a 5D3), and then a $3000 5D3 late in the year.

I'm expecting £2500 to 2700 for the 5D3. And I really don't think even Canon would dare make the market wait until "late in the year" for that camera.

They may still keep the 5D2 available when the 5D3 is out, but it'll be far cheaper; about half the price of the 5D3. Right now, the 5D2 is about £1500 - close to half the price I'm expecting its successor to hit the shelves at.

I suppose also, how low can they go with the price of the 5D2 and still make a worthwhile profit from it? I really don't know. But I won't buy one.
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: This is the email sent to Platinum CPS members
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
Dear Platinum member,

For the launch of the Canon EOS-1D X, Canon would like to offer priority purchase for CPS Platinum members, as our most valued customers, we want to ensure we continue to add value to the CPS program where we can. As established professionals, we understand it is important to have the right and best tools for the job particularly with the Euros and Olympics coming up. If you have already placed a deposit or are going to soon, please ensure you have taken the following 2 steps to ensure your purchase gets priority:

1. Place a deposit with your local EOS Professional Centre. Your nearest can be found at www.canon.co.uk/eospro-network

2. Once you receive your order details, please send an email with the confirmation details to the CPS UK Pro Rep; <name deleted> at <name deleted>@cuk.canon.co.uk

Once the Pro Rep has received your confirmation, we will arrange for that order to be given priority and your dealer will inform you when your camera has arrived and collect in the normal way.
We appreciate your interest in the Canon EOS-1D X and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Canon.

Thanks Asposium!

I'm Platinum and hadn't received such letter/eMail.

Are we buying straight from Canon?

Curt Fargo

Curt, so the letter is from CPS UK that has what they call EOS Professional Centre.  Calumet and Park Camera are one of them.  I guess they are kind of affiliated dealers.  Sounds like if Platinum members pre-order from these affiliated dealers, at least CPS can identify priority easier.

"...order to be given priority and your dealer will inform you when your camera has arrived and collect in the normal way..."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:25:43 PM by waving_odd »

nazdar

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Bah, another rumor + another hopes = another waste of time.
I should rather spend more time with shooting nice pictures then getting nervous or disapointed :D
400D, old Nikkor-S Ai 50/1.4, Nikkor Ai 35/2,  Nikkor Ai 85/2, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ... Ixus 120

Picsfor

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »
Dear Platinum member,

For the launch of the Canon EOS-1D X, Canon would like to offer priority purchase for CPS Platinum members, as our most valued customers, we want to ensure we continue to add value to the CPS program where we can. As established professionals, we understand it is important to have the right and best tools for the job particularly with the Euros and Olympics coming up. If you have already placed a deposit or are going to soon, please ensure you have taken the following 2 steps to ensure your purchase gets priority:

1. Place a deposit with your local EOS Professional Centre. Your nearest can be found at www.canon.co.uk/eospro-network

2. Once you receive your order details, please send an email with the confirmation details to the CPS UK Pro Rep; <name deleted> at <name deleted>@cuk.canon.co.uk

Once the Pro Rep has received your confirmation, we will arrange for that order to be given priority and your dealer will inform you when your camera has arrived and collect in the normal way.
We appreciate your interest in the Canon EOS-1D X and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Canon.

Thanks Asposium!

Curt Fargo

Curt, so the letter is from CPS UK that has what they call EOS Professional Centre.  Calumet and Park Camera are one of them.  I guess they are kind of affiliated dealers.  Sounds like if Platinum members pre-order from these affiliated dealers, at least CPS can identify priority easier.

"...order to be given priority and your dealer will inform you when your camera has arrived and collect in the normal way..."

yeah, about the only benefit we get in rip off Britain. We pay an inflated price for everything, good to see we get something for that money  ::)

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
I love rumors, but this one isn't very rumor-like.  It's just saying that nothing is happening on the 7th.  You can release one of these for about 360 days each year.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

etto72

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Dear Platinum member,

Thanks Asposium!

Curt Fargo

Is Canon CSP USA platinum membership  getting the same benefit?
I didn't get anything!!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »

True, there is still that price point of around $2000 for a entry FF camera that sell like hotcakes
Nikon kept the D90 alive well after the D7000 and D5100 came out and it still sold well
so if they continue to sell there would be no reason for canon to stop making 5Dmk2s over all
the value for money of these cameras is very good
APS-H Fanboy

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
For the moment, etto, it seems not.  I haven't gotten any emails from CPS USA, and I am awaiting a reply to an email I sent to them concerning this perk.

etto72

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
For the moment, etto, it seems not.  I haven't gotten any emails from CPS USA, and I am awaiting a reply to an email I sent to them concerning this perk.

Can you post when you get an answer about it?
Thanks!!

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

True, there is still that price point of around $2000 for a entry FF camera that sell like hotcakes
Nikon kept the D90 alive well after the D7000 and D5100 came out and it still sold well
so if they continue to sell there would be no reason for canon to stop making 5Dmk2s over all
the value for money of these cameras is very good

So is this "new high end" model more than the successor of 5D2?  Is it more like Canon's answer to Nikon's D800, at least price-wise or class-wise?

I hope they still realize that the entry level FF should still be priced at entry level price point (like ~$2500 of 5D2 and D700).  If so, they might still introduce the real 5D3 in Photokina.  But then they will have 4 FF DSLR in their lineup (i.e. 1D X, "new high end", "potential real 5D3", and the EOS C DSLR) by end of year.  Is it too congested then?

And it's not even Feb yet!  Late March (or even April/May for 1D X) seems even farther.............

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
I love rumors, but this one isn't very rumor-like.  It's just saying that nothing is happening on the 7th.  You can release one of these for about 360 days each year.

I see your point and I thought the same thing initially, but if you recall there have been at least a couple of rumours over the past couple of weeks saying that an announcement may be coming on Feb 7.  So all he was doing is putting those rumours to rest.  I think that's worthy of an update.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:04:24 PM by bigblue1ca »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »

Can you post when you get an answer about it?
Thanks!!
I still haven't gotten an email about it, but, when I called the CPS USA guy, he said that many of the emails haven't been sent quite yet.  He also said a lot of people have been calling, but that he wasn't exactly sure of what was going on; because it is the weekend, the main office is closed, so he couldn't call them to glean more information.

He said that I should call back tomorrow, when they'd have more information, but he thought that the waiting list priority was for getting to the top of select retailers' product allocation lines.

Justin

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
Agree on how poorly phrased this rumor is.

I still don't understand how a 22mpx full frame camera from Canon is expected to compete with a 36mpx camera from Nikon... Different leagues in terms of resolution. Also, with Nikon strongly rumored to be offering a camera without an AA filter it will distance itself from the new Canon entry even more so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »