September 16, 2014, 09:31:23 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]  (Read 25590 times)

stive9

Re: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
In film days few printed above 8x10" (certainly for 35mm), now that's considered small.  One area where I think that digital lags behind film is in the projection of images onto a large screen.  It isn't the cameras, it is the fact that all but the most expensive projectors max out at 1080p (i.e. 1920 x 1080), this isn't even close to what a good 35mm slide projector can do.
Just thinkin that isnt lcd-screens and projectors build like foveon sensors? So you need to have like 2..3x bigger bayer sensor to get the same effective resolution? So with 4K projector you would need even bigger bayer sensor camera. At least i am printing images nowdays less and less. Maybee future will be fully digital.. Can anybody think some digital media that would require more than 20Mpix camera?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:39:53 PM by stive9 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

ers811

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
Not to bash CR or anything, but I find that many times some rumors are poorly phased so that they ate misleading. I hope it's not the case this time as now it's CR3 saying that a new high-end camera in February. I just hope it's not like, wait, it should be later "than" February.  ;D

It's a rumor site, nature of the beast.

Just think of it as Canon foreplay.  I'm excited for the release too, but hell, its still fun!

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »
Can anybody think some digital media that would require more than 20Mpix camera?

UHDTV 4320p
7,680 × 4,320 = 33.2MP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Television

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »
I am thinking the "leak" of the photo that we all questioned will be the announcement.  With the news that the president of Canon resigned due to slumping sales/Tsunami, I would think they would want to gain some momentum heading into the summer of this year when people seem to be looser with their wallets.  They know that people are holding onto their wallets for the new 5d mkiii or the possibly the Eos 3? So, logic would dictate in order to recapture that lost revenue they would announce cameras very soon. 

Hopefully it is an Eos 3 and it is a high-end stills only camera, whereas the 1 series has merged with their video. Just my 2 cents.

After the success of the 5D Mark II, there will never again be a new DSLR introduced without video.

Of course they will, and while I'm sure it will be improved, they are clearly trying to separate the two to an extent.  I think the Canon Cinema EOS division will gradually start releasing more prosumer-level gear, starting with the Cinema DSLR.  As much as I want a 5DIII, I know I'll want the CDSLR even more, it's gonna be tough if we don't hear any info about it soon...
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
Is it wrong to guess that some of the UK member's might have had a decent chance of an invitation, due to the Olympics?
It's probably a pretty good guess, as there will probably be more UK-based photographers there and Canon will want as many of their new flagship cameras as possible on show I would think. A similar guess could apply for Euro 2012, where Canon are the official imaging sponsor.

To qualify for CPS platinum in UK  Minimum requirement is 3 Pro bodies 5dII or  1d III or later plus 4 L series lenses  not  the point structure in the US

I only qualify Silver in UK but have over 75 points on US scale 
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

mkln

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
by the way, DxO has posted a canon g1x comparison with new nikons

except I don't care about the nikons, what's interesting is that the g1x has 10.8 stops of dynamic range.
which sucks. it does even worse than the last consumer cameras - that have the same pixel density.

so I don't think the new 5 will be anything special at all.
what a disappointment.

let me think about canon for a moment:
- they had USM, now everybody does
- they had good AF, now Nikon has better AF
- they had HD video, now everybody does
- they had IS, now everybody does
- they had resolution advantage, now they don't
- they never matched DR, AND THEY STILL DON'T??

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »
Not to bash CR or anything, but I find that many times some rumors are poorly phased so that they ate misleading. I hope it's not the case this time as now it's CR3 saying that a new high-end camera in February. I just hope it's not like, wait, it should be later "than" February.  ;D

It's a rumor site, nature of the beast.

Just think of it as Canon foreplay.  I'm excited for the release too, but hell, its still fun!

LOL @ "canon foreplay" I love it :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:23 PM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
by the way, DxO has posted a canon g1x comparison with new nikons

except I don't care about the nikons, what's interesting is that the g1x has 10.8 stops of dynamic range.
which sucks. it does even worse than the last consumer cameras - that have the same pixel density.

so I don't think the new 5 will be anything special at all.
what a disappointment.

let me think about canon for a moment:
- they had USM, now everybody does
- they had good AF, now Nikon has better AF
- they had HD video, now everybody does
- they had IS, now everybody does
- they had resolution advantage, now they don't
- they never matched DR, AND THEY STILL DON'T??
Please don't take DxO marks too seriously, check these marks:
Nikon D5100 is 80
Leica M9 is 69
Sony Nex 7 is 81
Canon 5D mark II is 79

I think they always favour to Nikon or Sony sensors

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »
A little disappointed with the G1X dynamic range. I had high hopes there... sigh...

macfly

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 02:04:53 AM »
I'd kind of given up coming here snce I've gone Sony NEX7 for my carry about, and ordered the Nikon 800 for work, so after 22 years I'm jumping the Canon ship for real, but a quick look at the title of this thread drew me back in. I was really hoping for news of a real 1Ds MkV, a studio/landscape 45MP camera, but Canon's decent into low light obsession for people who don't light thier work has all but made them irrelevant for me.

Seeing how the Sony NEX7 crushed the G1X gives a taste of what I suspect will come when 100ISO files from the 1Dx are run against the Nikon 800.

Interesting to see that the CEO jumped ship after running it on the rocks, must have been an Italian Japanese captain of industry.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:08:39 AM by macfly »

briansquibb

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »
Have you got a date and specs for the D800 yet?

Gothmoth

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
i see it this way....

with the last 2011 Q4 result canon needs to generate more profit to satisfy the shareholders.
so they will do everthing to bring new and long awaited products to the market.

another bad 2012 Q1 or even two bad quarter and the new assigned COO Fujio Mitarai (btw. 76 years old) can go.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:49:55 AM by Gothmoth »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »
Have you got a date and specs for the D800 yet?

I believe this was well documented on the Nikon Rumor site while they are not official yet of course.  The date is Feb 7th and the spec would be:

•36 MP sensor (7360x4912)
•100% viewfinder coverage
•Improved AF with face recognition – the D800 will still have 51 points AF point
•CF+SD memory card slots
•USB 3.0
•ISO range: 100 – 6400, ISO LO @ 50 and  ISO HI-2 @ 25600
•The screen will be larger than 3 inches (probably 3.2 in.)
•The D800 will not have built-in GPS
•Expeed 3 processor
•There will be two different D800 versions/models, one with the antialiasing filter removed
•4 fps continuous shooting, about 6 fps in DX mode with optional battery pack
•Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
•Headphone jack, can input from an external device such as a PCM sound recorder
•86k pixels RGB sensor
•200,000 shutter cycles
•Uncompressed HDMI video out (just like the Nikon D4)
•See those cropped Nikon D800 samples at high ISO

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »
Canon's decent into low light obsession for people who don't light thier work has all but made them irrelevant for me.

That's all about ambience... not laziness...  ;)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Read this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/understanding-series/everything_matters__it_is_all_about_the_small_details.shtml

Also a link to the rumors of the rumored Canon sensor producing an extra 2 stops of DR over the rumored Nikon?

Thanks for the link, I too am an audiophile, and I can attest to this: Audio amplifiers wattage depends on their rail voltages. The higher the "voltage" rails , the more output you get. If I have 2 amplifiers, all specs the same except for the power supply current ratings (i.e. the rail voltages being the same but in one amplifier, you put in a larger PSU but keep the voltages the same):  Chances are under medium to high signal levels the larger power supply will sound better (even when the signals are under the operating limited of both amplifiers/ Power supplies). There are reasons for this , but the analogy to photography is valid. Better sensors will transmit more information and even after reduction of pixels will Yield better pictures that low pixel sensors (other things being similar): Someone even said that as long as diffraction does not set in, a higher MP sensor's output when reduced to lower pixels could out resolve a lower pixel sensor of the same physical size when it came to noise, since the noise of the high MP sensor is a finer "grain" and thus easier to manage with software etc.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »