August 23, 2014, 09:58:31 AM

Author Topic: Flip out displays -- why the resentment?  (Read 13464 times)

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Flip out displays -- why the resentment?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 02:54:59 AM »
Most of the people that resent it has never use one. The flip screen  is a useful tool that let you shoot at all kind of odd angles and let you see exactly what you will get. If you are talking about "tradition", waist level finders has been around since 1930's. The flip screen is effectively a waist level finder and then some. The flip screen can be durable if it is done correctly.  We had a G1 for more than 7 years and never have any problem. If Canon can make the screen of 7D weather proof, it can also make the flip screen  weather proof. Flip screen is a good tool to have.

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »
I have been at an "event" where I had arrived early to gain a good "vantage point" (higher) only to have others arrive later and proceed to shove there vari-angle screen cameras above there heads and into my shot  >:( yer they got "that shot", but not very considerate to everyone else.

LOL... A friend of my complaints about this too...
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

Narcolepsy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • www.veterinaryadvances.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:46:33 AM »
As for the fragility issue, that pretty much a crock. I've abuse the crap out of my equipment over the years, and have never once broken a flip screen on any point and shoot, DSLR or video camera that I have ever owned. With just a hint of common sense and thought, it can be easily avoided.
I broke the flip screen on a Fuji s9600 twice - normal use, no trauma - just stopped working...

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 04:08:04 AM »

I broke the flip screen on a Fuji s9600 twice - normal use, no trauma - just stopped working...

same here.

i had 4 cameras with a flip/swivel screen and in the end they all are defective because of the screen. so my guess is the flip screens are somewhat problematic.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:08 AM »
RE: external HDMI screen
this is suboptimal:
* relatively expensive (zacuto EVF, without the loupe: $675)
* no matter how much you spend, it can't be trusted for accurate color reproduction (i.e. nothing is more accurate than the built-in screen) (Shane Hurlbut dixit)

RE: frailty
two solutions:
* for high-end models: make the flip-out screen module all-metal
* for mid-end and low-end models: make sure the hinge is sturdy enough, and make sure the screen has a secure fold-in position (i.e. if you're about to abuse the camera, just keep the screen folded, and it should be secure)

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 05:43:24 AM »
@JerryBruck: excellent "sample" pics ... really like them ... a lot!

I would prefer a flip screen on my camera too, even though I went from 40D to 7D rather than 60D because of better 7D AF + features and weather sealing.  I valued those higher than the flip screen. I never do video, only still photography. I would find a flip screen especially useful for candid/street pics.

But I also bought a Powershot S95 rather than a Powershot G  - because I valued compact size even higher than a flip screen ...

JerryBruck

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
@AvTvM: Thanks a lot!  If only I had a "karma" button I'd be banging on it now.

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »
Live View AF is useless that is why we dont use them

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
It would be another step into a direction that I personally don't like. More plastic, more moving parts, more "features" that have nothing to do with photography. It would be another reminder that what I really want is a digital version of the F-1. And that I can't afford Leica gear. I don't do video (at least not with my DSLR) and I don't use live-view. I'd rather have no screen at all instead of a swivel screen.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

eos650

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
I love the LCD on my 60D. Most of the time it's flipped against the back, facing outward and is used to review shots or settings. I don't normally take pictures in live view, but when I need to get that quick off angle shot it takes me seconds to flip it out, enter live view and make the shot.

I've been shooting a lot of basketball (tis the season) and like to throw in some low, wide angle shots from the foul line. The vari-angle LCD has been extremely handy. I do have a right angle finder, but never take it with me. The right angle finder means an extra item in my bag. It takes me close to a minute to get it out and put it on and then I still have to get down on the ground. By the time I've done all this, I've missed the shot. I then have to take it off, so I can resume shooting normally.

Like it or not, the LCD was one of the reasons that I didn't spring for the difference and buy the 7D.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »
Interesting topic and responses.  I don't resent or criticize flip out/swivel displays however, I'm not really interested in them.   Although there are some good comments for practical uses, I don't ever recall "I wish I had a swivel screen."  I'm OK for laying in the dirt trying to get the low perspective shot.  Maybe if I had it, I'd discover some good uses.

Aside from briefly checking focus for landscapes/moon shots with Live View, I never use it, I don't like it, I want to look through the view finder, I feel I can compose much better and more naturally.  Would I give up LV?  No, I want it, but just as a tool for what I mentioned.  As for video on my 7D, I forget it exists.

I was thinking about all the hours I've spent behind a video camera (nothing fancy, just  family stuff), and I almost never used the swivel screen.  Probably less than 1%.

On the flip side (pun not intended) for point-and-shoot cameras, I almost never used the viewfinder on my S80--probably because it was not a real FOV.  Now with my new S100 that doesn't even have a viewfinder, I care less.  I'm happy with that big bright 3" screen.

It is what it is, probably some old school, and probably just old habits. 

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:48 AM »
I think the swivel screen is great for taking shots where the camera is at an awkward angle...

As an example, for the chester type pervs, with a swivel screen, you can bend down to tie your shoe with the camera in hand and shoot up a skirt and make sure you not only captured the image, but have the proper exposure...

Some may argue that the swivel screen is for sports or crowds and when the camera is being held above your head... but really... The example above was the clear intended purpose...

kentandersen

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:41 AM »
I really don't see the problem either.

I was also considering between 7D and 60D, and ended up with 60D becouse of the screen. Afther 30 000 klicks, I have only thought a handful of time that a bether AF or more focuspoint would have been great. But the flip out screen has been used in 10% of my shots, and in all videos. A self portrait, low angle, high angle, macro where I don't want to scare the creature, shooting children unoticed... there is several ocations where this feature has helped me.

What I appreciate alot, is that I can turn the screen with the glas pointing towards the camera. That makes it even bether protected than with the normal screen.

A 5d with 7D AF and a flip out screen would be the perfect camera for me.

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
I upgraded from 550D to 60D and my main concern was the articulating screen. If I had the choice I would have bought it with a fixed one. Now after about a year with that camera I consider it a great improvement and I would like to have it on my next camera too. I have not used it that often but from time to time it makes shots much easier or even possible. I regulary make use of the possibility to flip the screen inside for protection.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
I don't really resent them, rather I just don't really care.  Mainly, I am considered about the physical construction a little bit. There is also the issue of having to bypass the AF system to use it.

But what it boils down to is that there is about 300 other issues I'd rather see addressed in my next camera before I start thinking seriously about flippy screens.

Only rarely, very very rarely, have I been shooting and thought: Dang, I need a flip screen...
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3