July 23, 2014, 10:18:52 AM

Author Topic: Flip out displays -- why the resentment?  (Read 13317 times)

Tijn

Re: Flip out displays -- why the resentment?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
@Eye-Broccoli, @dr croubie, @Harley, @Narcolepsy, @Canon-F-1, @7enderbender:
Perhaps some traditionalists don't realize that the Vari-angle screen can remain flush against the body without ever even once being swung out.

dosn´t change a thing that i have 4 cameras with a flip screen that are defect because of the LCD.
You went through 4 DSLR's in less than 1½ years? And they all had flipscreens?  :o
Did you use them to cut down trees by any chance?  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
I don't resent flip screens. In fact, if they can be made durable enough, I don't object at all.

But, I'm also not willing to give up anything to get one.

My first digital SLR didn't have live view. When live view came out, I was really jealous and thought this was something I'd really like to have. Well, I got a 7D over two years ago and guess what? I've used live view maybe two or three times.

My point is that the marketing often makes these features sound a lot more useful than they are. To me, a flip screen might come in handy on occasion, but it's simply a non-factor in choosing a body for me. (On the other hand, if it increases the risk of damage it would definitely be a negative).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a flip screen.

Have one on my G2, and it has been useful.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

eos650

Re: (OT Protecting the screen) Re: Flip out displays -- why the resentment?
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
Since we're on the topic of the 60D flip-screen, has anyone used "InvisibleShield" on their flip screen?  Does it interfere with turning the screen face-in?  I've been thinking of doing this on mine.

First off, I believe that most if not all Canon DSLR's have a plastic screen protector, over the LCD. My daughter broke hers on her t2i (picture below) and I was able to buy a replacement from Canon for about $25. It took me less than 15 minutes to replace. There was no damage to the LCD itself.

I do have an additional thin glass protector on my 60D, which based on my statement above is redundant. I picked up this protector on EBay for about $10. The glass is easier to clean and doesn't scratch as easy. It's also easier to replace and less expensive, should something happen to it.

Now to answer your question. If I close the LCD on my 60D, the thin glass protector does prevent the LCD from snapping completely shut. I don't consider this an issue however, as it's much more convenient for me to leave it facing outward. My only concern, would be if it were to take some sort of hard impact (like my daughters did). Of course those that have a fixed LCD run this risk all of the time since they don't have the option to turn the LCD around.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:24:52 PM by eos650 »

unruled

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »
Cracked screen? Wow. My 40d screen doesn't even have a scratch and I don't use a camera bag.

I never did get those unsightly screen protectors on nikons. Just unnecessary. (Or should be)

katwil

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
The camera should fit what one plans to use it for.  I had a T2i for about a week until I realized that life with this camera would be much easier with an articulating screen.  That’s because video is a significant part of what I plan to use the little Rebel for.  While my 5D mk ii has video capabilities, I bought it to take really good photos.  After using the mk ii for video (once), I’ve determined that it does work, and video is what I have a T3i for.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

Yup - basically buyers of pro bodies don't want to see consumer features in it - as simple as that. The advocates don't quite understand because it seems like "it doesn't hurt to have it there", however for me, it's kind of like getting a race car and realizing that it comes with "parking assist", "backup cam", "facebook connectivity" and automatic transmission :-)

What is "consumer feature"??? Who is there to define it??? If you go by "tradition", a pro body should be all mechanical, no electronics, no power winder, no auto focus, no auto exposure, no built in meter, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
I've got no illusions.  My opinion is just another one.  But so far I've seen many people talking about supposed short-comings of tilt screens or the possibility that they might be more fragile.  The people that actually own and use the 60D already know how useful this feature is.  I use it for landscape 10x focusing using manual focus tilt-shift lens and I like having it at 45 degrees because it is more comfortable at lower angles.  If you want to know how useful it is, buy or rent a 60D and use it for a month or two and call me the morning after.  Then we can talk.  p.s. I still use my 5DMK2 for most landscapes and I always miss the really nice and bright 60D screen.  It is a honey.

briansquibb

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 03:45:39 AM »
Live View AF is useless that is why we dont use them

Add to Neuro's comment above:  Real photographers don't use Live View AF

Perhaps you would like to demonstrate shooting a bird in flight, handheld with a 400 f/2.8 using LiveView? Or any shot with even a lightweight 300 f/2.8 with arms at full length.

OK perhaps that is too much for you - try a portrait with a 85 1.2@ f/1.2

There are times when I use LiveView - landscapes when the camera is on a tripod shooting tethered and I have time to compose - but then I dont need the articulated screen.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »

• I'd say soon we'll have wireless tethering supported by Canon
   But then again why don't  we already have built in GPS, remote flash, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi? Its been added to various inexpensive cameras already so its not a matter of price. Hopefully these features have not been ommited because people are frightened. :-\

If you can link to a tablet or smart phone wireless ly then you could keep all your core features in the camera separate.
Just the other night I had a manic giggle when tethered to my tablet out in the snow a beautiful thing!

Point is I think tech could head back toward a basic combination sensor, glass and Wi-Fi. Then a nice flip out screen won't matter.
Those who don't like options don't have to use them.
There's always the option of finding a nice cave and some charcoal if true purity if ones goal.

O yeah  I truely have no idea but --------
How many people have had trouble with their 60D tilt screens?
I haven't had trouble and I move/use it daily now for the past year. darn now I gotta go find some wood to knock on
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

briansquibb

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 06:37:32 AM »

• I'd say soon we'll have wireless tethering supported by Canon

... in the meanwhile this is available ( and others I know - but this is easily portable)

http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS%20Collection/shop/r678.html

briansquibb

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
Perhaps you would like to demonstrate shooting a bird in flight, handheld with a 400 f/2.8 using LiveView? Or any shot with even a lightweight 300 f/2.8 with arms at full length.

As far as I can tell, no adherent of articulating screens have stated that they use the articulating screen every time on every shot.

and neither have the users of the viewfinder said they dont use LiveView

Astro

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »
don´t know if i would like a swivel display... i can only say i did not missed it yet on my DSLR.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »

Add to Neuro's comment above:  Real photographers don't use Live View AF

There are times when I use LiveView - landscapes when the camera is on a tripod shooting tethered and I have time to compose - but then I dont need the articulated screen.

Why so defensive Brian?  You made the statement that "Live view AF is useless that's why we don't use it" and I merely pointed out the arrogance of your bold statement with some humour.  This thread was started by and commented on by many who like and use the swivel screen and you said it's useless and we don't use it?  Who is the "we"... certainly not the folks who said they use it.  So the "we" in your mind must have been you and those like you... real photographers perhaps?

Why make a personal attack Brian and say to me "perhaps that is too much for you"?

Not I nor no one else ever suggested using a screen to shoot a bird in flight or any other thing that would be difficult or impossible using Live View and the associated contrast detect AF so why use that example which is nonsense in the context of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:18:02 PM by Meh »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »

As far as I can tell, no adherent of articulating screens have stated that they use the articulating screen every time on every shot.

and neither have the users of the viewfinder said they dont use LiveView

Yes, in fact you did.  Let me quote you again:

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »