July 30, 2014, 10:54:35 PM

Author Topic: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper  (Read 25581 times)

briansquibb

Re: Sling Straps: Black Rapid, Sun Sniper
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »
Any users of the double-strap style ? Wondering how useful, as I just added a second body to my arsenal and have been fairly happy with the single RS-5, but a little annoyed that the phone pocket is too small for an iPhone in a case.
With the double - strap, how does it feel bringing the camera up, c/w with the single (where the strap feels stable ACROSS the chest, but with double, it is coming up more from the side) -- too much swing ??

I use a double strap.

1d4 + 400 f/2.8
1Ds3 + 70-200 f/2.8 II on the other

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »

Ryusui

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
It looks like your 1Ds III has the BR attached to the camera instead of the lens.  Do you feel secure with it like that?  I have mine on the lens...I tend to get nervous with the lens hanging off the camera instead of the other way around.  With almost twice the weight, I fear the lens might put too much strain on the mount.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Just a little heads up on the security of any of these systems.

I've been using this system from Spiderholster http://www.spiderholster.com/ and been very happy with it, though I may get BR as well, it looks a lot simpler. They may work well in conjunction with each other when using more than two bodies. The Spider Pro plate screws into the tripod thread on the camera body or lens collar like all the strap systems.

It's a natural instinct to tighten these up very firmly. I was stunned how easy it was to dislodge the thread on a 5D grip. The small metal insert actually broke away from the body. And I'm definitely not Mr Muscles. It was a $110 fix. Could be that these threads were never intended for the stresses that a BR or similar system will impose.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Paul Wright

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »

It's a natural instinct to tighten these up very firmly. I was stunned how easy it was to dislodge the thread on a 5D grip. The small metal insert actually broke away from the body. And I'm definitely not Mr Muscles. It was a $110 fix. Could be that these threads were never intended for the stresses that a BR or similar system will impose.

Not clear. Did the grip get damaged, or the body?
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »
It looks like your 1Ds III has the BR attached to the camera instead of the lens.  Do you feel secure with it like that?  I have mine on the lens...I tend to get nervous with the lens hanging off the camera instead of the other way around.  With almost twice the weight, I fear the lens might put too much strain on the mount.

I would not worry about the mount, it's quite strong.  Canon doesn't seem concerned about the stress on the mount from lenses like the 70-200/2.8 pictured there.  On very heavy lenses like the supertele primes, Canon puts lugs for a carry strap right on the lens - I infer that for those lenses, Canon's engineers feel the weight of the lens should not be fully supported by the mount.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ryusui

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »

Ooh...good point.  I knew the bodies had the tripod thread integrated into the chasis...but I didn't think that the grip would be any different.

I would not worry about the mount, it's quite strong.  Canon doesn't seem concerned about the stress on the mount from lenses like the 70-200/2.8 pictured there.  On very heavy lenses like the supertele primes, Canon puts lugs for a carry strap right on the lens - I infer that for those lenses, Canon's engineers feel the weight of the lens should not be fully supported by the mount.
Sounds reasonable to me.  I just figured that if a lens has a tripod collar, aside from balancing, it also indicates that the lens is heavy enough to warrant its use to reduce strain on the mount.  I guess if this were the case, Canon probably would say so in the user manuals.  Thanks for the input on this.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »

Not clear. Did the grip get damaged, or the body?

Sorry for not making this clear...it was the thread on the base of the grip.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »
I did find that the FastenR-3 can tend to unscrew from a camera body (or presumably a grip too) while walking around which has prompted me to ensure it is on snugly. I tend to check it on a regular basis while out and about. I also check that the lock portion of the ConnectR-2 is properly in place to avoid it opening up by accident.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »

I'd phrase it differently - what I think you were stunned by is the amount of force that a screw mechanism can generate.  A basic review of physics - the force generated by turning a screw is much greater than direct pressure.  A screw converts a longer rotational motion into a short linear motion, effectively magnifying the force.  That's especially true when you're using a wrench/allen key as you'd use with the SpiderPro system.  Consider the apparently little force you'd need to screw a large lag bolt into a wooden beam with a socket wrench vs. driving a spike into that beam with a hammer. 

I think the tripod socket is designed to withstand the stress of the weight of the camera/lens, including the additional centripetal force from that weight swinging at the bottom of a strap.  I've logged many hours of swinging around a camera + lens combo weighing over 5.25 lbs/2.4 kg (gripped 5DII with 85L II) supported by the tripod socket. 

Now...how about screwing in that 1/4"-20 bolt?  I'm not Mr. Muscles either, but let's say I pull with 20 pounds of force (try it on a scale, it's not going to be nearly as hard as you can pull).  Assuming a 3" allen key, that's on the order of 37 lb-in of torque, which translates to a clamp force of 740 lbs.  About half of that force is lost to friction during the tightening, so let's say when screwing in the bolt, you're applying the equivalent of about 370 lbs/168 kg of weight on the threads.  So, while you might be stunned by that number, the idea that that amount of weight might damage something on your camera is probably not too surprising.

The short version: don't overtighten a bolt!

MazV-L

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »

I've been using this system from Spiderholster http://www.spiderholster.com/ and been very happy with it, though I may get BR as well, it looks a lot simpler. They may work well in conjunction with each other when using more than two bodies. The Spider Pro plate screws into the tripod thread on the camera body or lens collar like all the strap systems.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Paul Wright

I found a similar problem with the spider holster too, it's perfectly fine with a small dslr like my 350D but works loose abit when attached to my 5D, so needs to be regularly checked. I actually like to wear the holster and the BR strap together when I'm carrying 2 cameras with the holster on my left hip, but will only use the holster for my 350D and ungripped 50D w/ lightweight lens attached, much better than carrying a camerabag!

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
the tip they offer is to wet the rubber bit then screw on for a super tight attachment...  i often hook on to manfrotto tripod mounting plate too...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
i often hook on to manfrotto tripod mounting plate too...

Cringe - assuming you mean the little D-ring thumbscrew used to tighten the plate, bad idea.  I'd suggest reading this.  Then, get yourself a FastenR-T1 instead.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
i often hook on to manfrotto tripod mounting plate too...

Cringe - assuming you mean the little D-ring thumbscrew used to tighten the plate, bad idea.  I'd suggest reading this.  Then, get yourself a FastenR-T1 instead.

+1

Rumour has it, BR are developing an Arca-swiss plate too - I think they would sell a few of those  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
I use an RS-7 most of the time with my 100-400 and 7D. Attach the strap to the lens foot and the setup hangs horizontally by my right hip. Very comfortable.

I find it strange that nobody has mentioned that with a BR strap the camera and lens do not hit the tripod like they do when on a neck strap. I tripod mount my 500 w/ or w/o a 1.4x and focus on a nest while using the 100-400 for BIF like the mate arriving in the area of the nest.

Thinking about a DR-1 for rookery photography.
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

waving_odd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
Anyone using the BlackRapid straps found that the ConnectR-2 scratches the base or the edge of the base of the camera?  When the RS-1 first came out, I tried that and its older design of connector did scratch the edge of the base of my 5D2 (ungripped) at around the power switch area.

Not a big deal, but I gave up using it since then.  How about this current ConnectR-2 ?  Will any part of its metal body be able to touch the base of the camera?  Mind to share a picture of how it looks when it touches?  Thanks in advance.   ;)

Then, get yourself a FastenR-T1 instead.

@neuro: do you know if it's possible to use the FastenR-T1 without putting the Manfrotto RC2 plate?  Basically I don't always want my Manfrotto RC2 plate on my camera.  But I don't like the original bulging FastenR-3 for storage reason.  I do like FastenR-T1 since its D-ring can be flattened.

I actually like to wear the holster and the BR strap together when I'm carrying 2 cameras with the holster on my left hip, but will only use the holster for my 350D and ungripped 50D w/ lightweight lens attached, much better than carrying a camerabag!

I do the same, except I am not using BlackRapid strap anymore (due to possible scratches mentioned above).  I am using the SpiderPro on my left hip and Crumpler "Industry Disgrace" strap (camera resting on my right hip).  The strap is as well-padded, wide (neck area), long (adjustable and longer than enough to wear across chest) as BlackRapid.  They have a newer and even wider model called "Convenient Disgrace" that is as wide as the length of your neck!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:30:20 PM by waving_odd »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »